Any ideas on Mods would be great too.

Just trying to keep the budget down.
Are the ribs Babby back or Spare Ribs?

Just woundering what the weight of
the Pork Butt (shoulder)

The weight of the Brisket

are that most people cook

any weight on the ribs would be great

I'm not a big fan of the ECB's... IMHO, if you really think you need a third cooker, I would build an extra UDS.

As for your questions on weights, the only entry with a weight requirement is Pork Butt and it must weigh over 5 pounds raw.

Here is a link to our KCBS Cooks Handbook that contains the current rules and such....

Hope this helps!

Have you looked at craigslist for a smoker?
Might find a used weber for parts for a uds....
Or something better...
I would use the 39 for parts for a uds....some are able to build for under 50.oo
It sounds like you are wanting to begin to compete....take it slow and enjoy the ride...thats what bbq is all about...the journey
jon

I agree with devious. I have an ECB and even after making all of the mods I still really have a hard time keeping the temperatures steady on the ECB. My UDS holds temperatures amazingly well (the last cook it stayed at 235 for 9 hours before it started to drop). :-D

Build 2 UDS and get one WSM and you'll be in better shape than most. Avoid the ECB for comps. I have an ECB I modded and as much as I like to cook with it I'd never use it in a comp. Heck I'd never use it if I had to cook for company, too unpredictable. The only ECB worth taking a shot with would be the Gourmet Brinkman because the coal pan is air tight unlike the others where the charcoal sits in a bowl. Even then it might not be worth the risk. Good luck.

i started to think about my post on this thread. I started with and ECB my neighbor gave as a move in present. And if it wasnt for that pain in the arse ECB i wouldnt have found this site and i wouldnt have discovered making great Q at home. So you go get that ECB and have fun with it. you may out grow it or maybe you'll cook some of the best food youve ever tasted.

I like the brinkman gourmet smoker for home cooking. But just for reference the $39 wakmart model is a even cheaper model than the gourmet. The gourmet model usually runs around $59 and is not carried by walmart. just be sure what you are getting. keith

i started to think about my post on this thread. I started with and ECB my neighbor gave as a move in present. And if it wasnt for that pain in the arse ECB i wouldnt have found this site and i wouldnt have discovered making great Q at home. So you go get that ECB and have fun with it. you may out grow it or maybe you'll cook some of the best food youve ever tasted.

What he said. I know that the ECB gets a lot of flack, but if it weren't for the El Cheapo, I know I sure wouldn't have put up the money to get started Q'ing with a BGE or WSM. Heck.....I STILL haven't convinced myself to put up the dough for one of those.

I have the Gourmet Charcoal Smoker (got it from CL for $15), so it's not the same as the traditional ECB, but it's still only like $59 brand new. I can send you info on the 4 mods I did to it if you'd like......(PM me if interested).

We all gotta start somewhere. It's kind of like Harley riders scoffing at the guy with the Honda.....a lot (in fact, most) start off with what they can afford. Plus....I've turned out some fine BBQ after 16 hours on the Gourmet ECB without adding any more charcoal. I've had a lot of luck keeping temps consistent. It's all about learning your cooker.

G'Luck to ya!

I started out with an ECB, had mine for about 6 years until I discovered the WSM. WOW, what a difference. I will never look back now. With that said, I think Devious made a really great point. They are a pain in the arse to maintain your temps, but if your tenacious, you can still make some great que on a cheap arse smoker. Plus, I really learned a lot about maintaining my fire and making great (well it was only OK until I got the WSM) que without spending a whole lot of money. It doesnt really need a lot of coals to keep it going, it just tough keeping a steady temp. Have never used one, but I hear a lot of great things about the UDS...maybe you'll want to go that route instead.

Good Luck!

What he said. I know that the ECB gets a lot of flack, but if it weren't for the El Cheapo, I know I sure wouldn't have put up the money to get started Q'ing with a BGE or WSM. Heck.....I STILL haven't convinced myself to put up the dough for one of those.

I have the Gourmet Charcoal Smoker (got it from CL for $15), so it's not the same as the traditional ECB, but it's still only like $59 brand new. I can send you info on the 4 mods I did to it if you'd like......(PM me if interested).

We all gotta start somewhere. It's kind of like Harley riders scoffing at the guy with the Honda.....a lot (in fact, most) start off with what they can afford. Plus....I've turned out some fine BBQ after 16 hours on the Gourmet ECB without adding any more charcoal. I've had a lot of luck keeping temps consistent. It's all about learning your cooker.
G'Luck to ya!

That's a pretty good analogy. My ECB taught me a lot about temperature control, and lack thereof without air control.

My many inexpensive and not so inexpensive foreign motorcycles brought me through a learning curve also.

Edit to my original post and more to the topic:
If it is what you can afford, give it a shot. You can cook on them, just takes a lot of effort.

The end all be all of ECB's!!!!

DSC02204.jpg

:)

I agree with most of the others, if you have to actually do work on it, spend the same amount of money and work on a UDS.

Back