Pork Loin

B

Buster Dog BBQ

Just curious how some of you cook your pork loins for a peoples choice and competiton (as a side category or unsanctioned contest). I typically cook mine until 145 at 325 and sauce the last 10 min and then put in foil. I try to use a sweet rub. Sometimes my pork seems lacking of flavor. Do I need to inject with something like apple juice?

Also when trimming the loin, there is that strip of meat running the length of it that is separated by a tendon or something like that. DO you cut that portion off?

Thanks.

sounds like the same way that I do it. and I do trim that piece off. I havent injected personally,but have tasted some injected loin. its pretty good

We'll add some slices of bacon on top of the loin and let that help baste during the cook. I think you're on the money with the meat temp. I'm not sure on the temp. My teammate does the loin cooking.

Just a suggestion, sometimes teams at the Qlossal will turn in bone-in loin chops. I've judged a couple of times and seen it and it does have a little "wow" factor when the box is opened. I also know from experience that at the Qlossal, that by the time the loin entry comes in, the judges are a little tired of pork and many of the entries are pretty bland. If you can find a little something flavorwise, I think you'd be in business.

We'll add some slices of bacon on top of the loin and let that help baste during the cook. I think you're on the money with the meat temp. I'm not sure on the temp. My teammate does the loin cooking.

Just a suggestion, sometimes teams at the Qlossal will turn in bone-in loin chops. I've judged a couple of times and seen it and it does have a little "wow" factor when the box is opened. I also know from experience that at the Qlossal, that by the time the loin entry comes in, the judges are a little tired of pork and many of the entries are pretty bland. If you can find a little something flavorwise, I think you'd be in business.

Thanks Matt

Do judges like thick or thin slices? Those bone in loin slices get pretty thick.

Do judges like thick or thin slices? Those bone in loin slices get pretty thick.

The bone is slices do get thick, but if they are tender and thick, you'll probably be ok. It's not going to score well if it thick and tough. Since there is no KCBS guideline on pork loin, I go through a little bit of a pull test just to see how tender it is and then I taste it and see if it's got a good taste and if it's tender. It either is or isn't, but I don't pay any attention to how thick the slices are, just if they taste good or not.

I've judged there the last 3 years and last year we had a loin entry that was so overcooked, it was black on the outside and chalky dry on the inside. I took a bite and then had to wash it down with water. Not good!

Todd,
I stopped by last year to check out your setup. My mom was with me since we both judged the event. Thanks for the tour last year.

Back