MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:59 PM   #1
AlabamaGrillBillies
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Side dish storage/freezer life

Well, the last year we have taken a lot of time off catering wise. Now we are trying to kick it into gear and are getting serious about cost/profits. A lot of times the recipes we have for our side dishes leave more than what the customer ordered. Someone only wants 1 quart of beans, but our recipe makes 2. So now we don't want to waste the left over quart. We have a vacuum sealer and plan on using it. Now here is the question part where I need some help.

How long can Vacuum Sealed side dishes like baked beans, potato salal, cole slaw, and mac and cheese last in a dedicated deep freezer and still be good, both food safe wise, and taste wise.

Any advice would be great.

Matt Pair, member of the AlabamaGrillBillies Cookteam and Catering company. 24x54 Offset stick burner, 18" WSM, UDS, Mutiple Weber Kettles and a 22" WSM on the way.
AlabamaGrillBillies is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2008, 10:06 PM   #2
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

OK, don't take this this the wrong way, please! I would never use previously cooked frozen sides for catering. Quality means everything when catering, besides most sides are to cheap.

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2008, 10:26 PM   #3
Bbq Bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by big brother smoke View Post
OK, don't take this this the wrong way, please! I would never use previously cooked frozen sides for catering. Quality means everything when catering, besides most sides are to cheap.
I would have to agree.
If you can't cut the recipe in half, sell them the 2 quarts and deal with the leftovers accordingly. Call it a "minimum order".
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2008, 06:04 AM   #4
AlabamaGrillBillies
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks for the advise, that's why I love this place. But I do have a question, and I'm trying to be a smart a$$. Most of us will use precooked and frozen meat if its a large order, or if logistics prevent us from cooking the day of the event. Why are sides a no, no? Is the quality that much of a let down after freezing with a vac seal? I'm just courious as I've never vac sealed and froze any of my sides before. I know the meat quality if properly vac sealed, froze and reheated can be about 90% as good as fresh cooked meat, I just assumed that the sides would be close as well. But then there's that old saying about assuming...

Matt Pair, member of the AlabamaGrillBillies Cookteam and Catering company. 24x54 Offset stick burner, 18" WSM, UDS, Mutiple Weber Kettles and a 22" WSM on the way.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:54 AM   #5
big brother smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaGrillBillies View Post
Thanks for the advise, that's why I love this place. But I do have a question, and I'm trying to be a smart a$$. Most of us will use precooked and frozen meat if its a large order, or if logistics prevent us from cooking the day of the event. Why are sides a no, no? Is the quality that much of a let down after freezing with a vac seal? I'm just courious as I've never vac sealed and froze any of my sides before. I know the meat quality if properly vac sealed, froze and reheated can be about 90% as good as fresh cooked meat, I just assumed that the sides would be close as well. But then there's that old saying about assuming...

I believe the quality is greatly reduced in side items that are frozen. Mac and cheese may hold, but I myself would not chance it. I am always thinking of the next gig and who may be at the gig I am catering who needs a caterer in the future. You only got one shot, Bro to sell yourself!

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2008, 12:03 PM   #6
AlabamaGrillBillies
is one Smokin' Farker

In my last post I meant to type "I'm NOT trying to be a smart a$$". Whoops, I bet that read a little funny.

Anyhow, thanks for the advise, I've never tried vac sealing and freezing sides, and now it looks like I won't have to learn from my mistake. I'll just try and down size my recipes if and when needed.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:02 PM   #7
lazybonesmoke1
Full Fledged Farker

Why don't you freeze some sides next time you have left overs and thaw them out and eat them for your friends. You will see the difference in quality.
lazybonesmoke1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2008, 01:18 PM   #8
big brother smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaGrillBillies View Post
In my last post I meant to type "I'm NOT trying to be a smart a$$". Whoops, I bet that read a little funny.

Anyhow, thanks for the advise, I've never tried vac sealing and freezing sides, and now it looks like I won't have to learn from my mistake. I'll just try and down size my recipes if and when needed.

No sweat, I knew what you meant. Context is everything