MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:29 AM   #1
Roo-B-Q'N
is One Chatty Farker

Exclamation KCBS at it again

Folks looks like KCBS is at it again. I just recieved this from Carol Whitebook as I am sure most of you have. Regardless of if you voted for Carol or not Troy Black hass spearheaded a campaign to make memberships votes not count. I believe it is also time for a recall of several board members starting with Mr. Black.

Dear Friends,
I need your help, and I need it today! I did not believe that it would not be without personal sacrifice to serve you on the Board of Directors. As you will see, it took no time for a small group on the board to implement a plan against my election to the Board of Directors. I was extremely flattered that 43% of the entire membership who voted, cast a vote for me, placing me in first place. I want to thank you for your vote and your support. I see this as a mandate to speak out for you. But I need you to speak out for me. Please tell the Board you want to determine who to vote for.

A few days ago a motion was filed to take your right to elect the candidates, as you desire to the Board of Directors. It is called a "Nepotism" rule. As you know, generally and in the State of Missouri Nepotism prohibits the appointment of hiring of persons, where you have elected authority over such a person. This is not the goal of this motion.

The Nepotism rule put before the Board this Friday (Feb 8, 2008 evening is to prevent husband and wife, or parents and children from being elected, by you the members and voters. Apparently, there is an opinion you the membership cannot decide for yourself and make a good choice.

Both in the United States and the State of Missouri a husband and wife or parent could serve their Country or State as elected officials, while being a husband and wife or a parent or child.

KBCS has had a long history of husband and wife teams who have well served the Board of Directors. I am not asking you to go against what you believe. But there are 866 members who believe it was not a problem for me to run, to be elected and to serve you the membership at the same time as Merl.

I have introduced my promised motion to allow members across the country, to have equal access, the same as the members who live in the Kansas City area, by use of access to the telephone conference system in order to reach out to the Board, either to listen or speak at a Board meeting.

Please voice your opinion to the Board. I have not attended my first meeting, before the plan of action to neutralize what I stand for began. Please tell the board what you think. Please write the Board and voice your opinion.

Protect your right to vote and elect the candidates who will represent you.

Carol Whitebook
( KCBS Board emails below)

Below is a copy of the motion placed on the agenda for Friday Feb. 8, 2008 at 7:00 p.m.[/font]

In a message dated 2/5/2085:49:02 P.M. Central Standard Time, [email protected] writes:
In light of objections by a number of members questioning two family members sitting on the KCBS Board at the same time, I propose the following added to the agenda for a vote in Friday's board meeting.

I propose that we adopt the following nepotism policy and that it be affective as of January 1, 2009 or at the next change in board of directors.

KCBS Board Nepotism Policy

Be it resolved that no family members shall serve on the Kansas City Barbeque Society Board of Directors at the same time, during any term.
Family members are defined as a board member’s parent, child, spouse, domestic partner, brother, sister, grandparent, and any step relationships within the preceding categories.
Respectfully Submitted,
Troy Black

PLEASE WRITE TO THE KCBS BOARD
TELL THEM YOU CAN MAKE YOUR OWN DECISION!

KCBS Board of Directors
[email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected],
Large Spicewine, Backwoods Smoker (Party), WSM, Oklahoma Joe's Offset, Wood Fired Oven
Roo-B-Q'N is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2008, 09:58 AM   #2
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

I posted the motion in the Board section but deleted it when I saw this post.

Looks to me like they want to take away our votes and put in John Markus. I see a power play going on here and I for one don't like it. I wrote the KCBS already. I hope thay have 500 emails by COB today. Here's part of what I wrote.

"I can’t believe than anybody could support this resolution. Certainly it’s something that could only be implemented for future elections. Otherwise it would disenfranchise the voters who voted for Carol and may otherwise have voted for somebody in 5th or lower and it would change the results significantly. If this is implemented and Carol is not allowed to join the BOD then I would expect a new elections to take place not just move down one spot. We’re talking 866 votes that would have gone to other individuals and that’s over 40% of all voters. "

Old 02-07-2008, 10:10 AM   #3
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I believe what it targets is Merl. As I believe he is up for re-election next year and this new "Merl" rule is designed to keep him off the Board.

It's my ball and I am going to take it with me. It's like a bunch of kids is all I have to say.

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2008, 10:19 AM   #4
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Hadn't thought about it imapcting Merl but I see your point. Now that's even worse. It will kill the KCBS if they continue like this and we'll all lose.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:21 AM   #5
BanditBBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Rhino

I just sent an email to all the board members asking their thoughts on this proposed policy...let's see what comes back.

Carpe 'Que,
Jim

Old 02-07-2008, 10:24 AM   #6
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Interesting.

Wasn't the KCBS started by a husband and wife? (rhetorical)

What about Team Nepotism? If you cook on the same team, you can't be on the board.

This implies that people share a brain, which they don't.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2008, 10:24 AM   #7
Scottie

Yeah Ford. The way I see it. They will "put up" with Merl and Carol for one year and then either Carol has to resign or Merl can't run...

This is all a bunch of sour grapes. If they didn't like it, they should of changed the rule before Carol was elected (with the highest numbers in the election I might add). A lot has to be said for that and the membership.

Jim, if you are expecting a response. I hope you called yourself Mr. Blue. Cause you'll be waiting a long time.... ;-)

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle

Old 02-07-2008, 10:24 AM   #8
BBQ Grail

I'm a member because I wanted to vote for Phil. Not a great deal of benefit otherwise for me. That being said I hate to see Boards of organizations run wild like this one appears to be.

If Carol got 43% of all votes cast it shouldn't be hard to organize a recall. It's the only way members can take their organization back after it's been hijacked.

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2008, 10:27 AM   #9
kcpellethead
Full Fledged Farker

I understand the concerns you folks have about this motion. Please keep two things in mind. First, it's a motion to be considered at the February board meeting. It is not a KCBS policy. Second, even if passed, in my opinion it could not be retroactive to effect Carol & Merl Whitebook.

Continue to send your message to the board to voice your views as members, however be clear to the board that you know this is an issue to be decided on in the next meeting. So far, the few e-mails I have received indicate that the writers believe this is a new policy. It is not.

Rod

If I do everything half ass, how can I be a "full fledged" anything?
kcpellethead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2008, 10:27 AM   #10
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
Yeah Ford. The way I see it. They will "put up" with Merl and Carol for one year and then either Carol has to resign or Merl can't run...

This is all a bunch of sour grapes. If they didn't like it, they should of changed the rule before Carol was elected (with the highest numbers in the election I might add). A lot has to be said for that and the membership.

Jim, if you are expecting a response. I hope you called yourself Mr. Blue. Cause you'll be waiting a long time.... ;-)
I'm not surprised that some complained about this. You'll always find someone with an opinion. Your point about the highest vote count does/should bring a lot of weight to the decision. Some will complain, but MANY endorsed the election through their votes knowing full well what the relationship was.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2008, 10:28 AM   #11
tonto1117
is One Chatty Farker

Unbeleivable and sneaky(timing wise) to say the least. Well folk's the writing is on the wall for all to see how things really roll over there in the hall of secrecy. Like Ford and Scottie said, this is a power play to oust Merl come next year....I'm sure because they don't approve of him making the "dealings" of the BOD more accesible to it's members.

Geer Pit by Jambo
FEC-100
WSM
WEBER GENISES GAS GRILL

CBJ

Bacon & eggs - Hens are involved but pigs are commited.
tonto1117 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2008, 10:29 AM   #12
Jorge

Fair discussion so far. This topic also has the potential to get heated. If it gets heated and stays within the rules of this forum that's fine too. I'm providing a link to the forum rules for those that may not have read them, or those that may want to take a moment to read them again. The bottom line is to keep it friendly, if possible. No personal attacks, and no flames.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=14685

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2008, 10:38 AM   #13
Scottie

Hard to not take you seriously, when I look at your picture... ;-)

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle

Old 02-07-2008, 10:41 AM   #14
Roo-B-Q'N
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
I believe what it targets is Merl. As I believe he is up for re-election next year and this new "Merl" rule is designed to keep him off the Board.

It's my ball and I am going to take it with me. It's like a bunch of kids is all I have to say.

After re-reading her email, I agree with you Scottie. Troy and a few other board members don't like Merl (that is no secret) and so this is their attempt to get rid of him.
Large Spicewine, Backwoods Smoker (Party), WSM, Oklahoma Joe's Offset, Wood Fired Oven
Roo-B-Q'N is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2008, 10:49 AM   #15
CharlieBeasley
is one Smokin' Farker

Sorry I did email this to all board members!

Here was my 2cents!
I did not vote for a husband and wife members of the board because I did not want to water down the vote I placed. However the vote is in and counted and we now have a Husband and Wife team on the board GREAT We VOTED it should stand and not be discounted as this is a family oriented community where we have many cooks, judges, and active members who are married to their best friends and should be allowed to work together in what they Love BBQ!
Do not insult my integrity or theirs by gracing the below request! Also we need to question the submitter to his ethics in this matter!

I propose that we adopt the following nepotism policy and that it be affective as of January 1, 2009 or at the next change in board of directors.

KCBS Board Nepotism Policy

Be it resolved that no family members shall serve on the Kansas City Barbeque Society Board of Directors at the same time, during any term.
Family members are defined as a board member’s parent, child, spouse, domestic partner, brother, sister, grandparent, and any step relationships within the preceding categories.
Respectfully Submitted,
Troy Black
Charles Beasley
CharlieBeasley is offline   Reply With Quote