Should we get something from scoring?

Do you want a copy of your judging sheet?

• I am primarily a CBJ and would like my results.

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • I am primarily a CBJ and would NOT like my results.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am primarily a cook and would NOT like my results.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • I am primarily a cook and would like my results.

Votes: 24 75.0%
  • I do not care either way.

Votes: 5 15.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bentley

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
With the debate going on about judging, it has got me to thinking about a poll!
ohmy.gif

As a team, all I have to go on for scores is the final sheet provided by the reps. If I judge a contest I get nothing showing my scores. I would be interested to see how many teams and judges would like to see this addressed by KCBS?

I would like to see the scoring sheet be a three part card. 2 NCR(carbon-less paper) sheets of paper and the last sheet a hard copy. The top sheet would go to the judge, the second sheet to the team and the third sheet to KCBS. It has been awhile since I judged, I am not even sure if the judges name and KCBS number go on the current sheet. If it does that info would only be on the sheet that goes to KCBS.

It would be nice to know that the scores I received from the judge are the same that were on my final tally sheet. I would also like to see KCBS institute a policy of pen ink instead of pencil. That way there is no way a person can say a score was changed by anyone else!

As a cook, I have no desire to get a dirty scorecard with BBQ sauce induced fingerprints. Aren't the score's double counted when entered into the computer for accuracy by two different people ?

Where I thought you were asking was for the judges to get to see the scores from the other judges at their table so they can evaluate their measurements compared to their peers who judged the same food. That may or may not help bring more consistency to a judge who finds out they are overly critical or too free in their high assessments.

Pens might help, but it can be crossed out. What is the exact rule about a judge fully erasing a score or crossing out. If the table captain or rep see a score changed but can't makle out the judges original scoring, what is supposed to get done ? You can't penalize the team right ?

jsut to clarify..

are u asking if we(cooks) would like to see the actual judging cards in addition to the computrer printout?

Bentley,

IMHO, I can see no reason to get the gopped up saucy score sheets from the judges. I am very satisfied that that were transferred properly and the score sheets reflect my true scores. I don't think there is any reason for "Hanging Chad" allegations at a BBQ contest. I am however, in favor of having checklisted feedback cards filled out by every judge at the contest and distributed to the teams.

I really don't see what you are seeing with the cards that you don't already see on the sheets - other than a possible change - which I'm sure has happened in the past, but I have no reason to believe it's the norm.

I'd like to know how many judges were certified vs non-certified that were judging as well as scores given by certified vs. non.

jsut to clarify..

are u asking if we(cooks) would like to see the actual judging cards in addition to the computrer printout?

Yes.

But I guess it would have to be an 8 part form so that each team would get results. Chit, we all know this will never happen, just dreaming!

I really don't see what you are seeing with the cards that you don't already see on the sheets - other than a possible change - which I'm sure has happened in the past, but I have no reason to believe it's the norm.

quote]

I guess most people are just a lot more trusting than me! I guess I just have seen what some reps will do at contests and I did not like it!

I really wouldn't care to see the judging cards when I cook, but when I judge I would like to see how my scores were compared to the other judges at my table. It wouldn't have to have any judges number on it except yours. I think I judge very fairly, but I'm not sure that that is the case with all judges.

I think that the KCBS needs to make sure that everyone understands that the BBQ they are going to judge is competition BBQ not commercial. I think that is why some of the scores are so crazy sometimes.

Where I thought you were asking was for the judges to get to see the scores from the other judges at their table so they can evaluate their measurements compared to their peers who judged the same food. That may or may not help bring more consistency to a judge who finds out they are overly critical or too free in their high assessments.

What Vinny said.

I guess most people are just a lot more trusting than me! I guess I just have seen what some reps will do at contests and I did not like it!

Not sure what you saw the reps do, but if they did something inappropriate, did you report it to KCBS ? If so, did you get a response ?

Usually judges are reminded about not changing their score, no erasing or crossing out. Also the table captain will usually check each card to ensure the judge filled out each entry/category, i.e. no blanks and that their CBJ number is entered.

To me it is what it is. You aren't going to change anyone's mind. You already get your scores on a sheet and you can see by that if and where you need to concentrate on improvements and that's good enough for me.
I used to complain over and over but have come to the conclusion that there is a judge at every table that scores something low. You are not always going to get great scores.
36_11_8.gif

Aren't the score's double counted when entered into the computer for accuracy by two different people ?

Well I've certainly never seen that, unless it happens after the CBJs leave the room, even though they are entering the scores during the next turn in...

I really wouldn't care to see the judging cards when I cook, but when I judge I would like to see how my scores were compared to the other judges at my table. It wouldn't have to have any judges number on it except yours. I think I judge very fairly, but I'm not sure that that is the case with all judges.

I think that the KCBS needs to make sure that everyone understands that the BBQ they are going to judge is competition BBQ not commercial. I think that is why some of the scores are so crazy sometimes.

I too am curious as to what the rest of the judges at my table scored,
BUT what I don't want to do is learn how to score the same as the other judges at my table. I know the rules to judge BBQ and I know MY taste I don't want to EVER score a entry a certain way to keep even with the other judges.

Better off not knowing, the table captain is responsible for watching for really offbeat scoring. If there is a judge scoring way off the mean he is to report it to the rep. I think that works well enough.
ModelMaker

With the debate going on about judging, it has got me to thinking about a poll!
ohmy.gif

I really don't see a lot of "debate" about judging except on the BASSO forum. It is an almost daily bashing over there. :evil:

Most of us understand that judgng "is what it is" and only incremental change will take place over time.

KCBS is trying feedback cards and folks are up in the air over that!

I think we just need to go cook, or judge, and then have a beer! :lol:

TIM

I really don't see a lot of "debate" about judging except on the BASSO forum. It is an almost daily bashing over there. :evil:

TIM

Lots of debate on the CBBQA forum!

It seems like a few cooks on this forum would like to see judging cards. But like you said, changes may be incremental, I don't think you will see any change from KCBS!

Actually the KCBS is testing and trying to refine Judging Feedback cards at specific contests now. It's going to take a while but I have faith they will get it right.

Actually the KCBS is testing and trying to refine Judging Feedback cards at specific contests now. It's going to take a while but I have faith they will get it right.
I hope they do. I'd love to have some idea as to why my entries were scored the way they were, so that I might work to improve them for the next go 'round. I do hope that they will discourage comments like "It was great" or "Inedible." We can glean that kind of information from the scores themselves. We need to know why it was great or inedible if we're going to do any better.
In the interest of the judges, I hope they can do this for each competitor without it getting tedious though. I can see this being a lot of work for a judge to have to so thoroughly evaluate an entry and then try to convey the reasons for their scores. I think that would get old by the end of the day and the judge's enthusiasm (and the scores on the later entries) might suffer.

Back