MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-09-2007, 07:55 PM   #1
MEAT
Got Wood.

Default Pulling some Pork

I'm thinking about doing some Pulled Pork for some employees at work....roughly 20 people. I've never gone through the process of smoking and pulling but I kind of get the idea after reading some of the posts here.
However my question deals with time. Is it possible to only smoke for half the time and finish the rest of the cooking in the oven.......and/or is it possible to start in the oven first and finish in the smoker last? Obviously it's possible to do both but does anyone recommend it to save time? I'm probably answering my own question but will I lose any flavor or taste?
And my other question is if I do smoke for the recommended time how long can I wait to pull the pork apart? I was thinking of smoking on Tues and pulling and serving on Wed.
Or if anyone can think of a better way (cheaper way) to serve 20 people?
Hope I was clear on my explanation?
Thanks for any help...

Old 02-09-2007, 08:07 PM   #2
MilitantSquatter

If you need to use the oven.....Smoke first... take it to 140 degrees to maximize the smoke penetration...then move it to the oven until you get in the 190-200 range or the bone can be cleanly pulled up with little resistance.

If you plan on serving the next day, just pull it after it is cooked to your liking and then store in fridge overnight and add sauce as desired and reheat. Otherwise it will take a lot longer to re-heat a whole butt that has not been pulled yet.

Pulled pork for 20 people is about as cheap as you can go at +/- $1/lb unless you plan on making PB&J sandwiches on white bread...

Good luck MEAT !!
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2007, 08:11 PM   #3
Q_Egg
is One Chatty Farker

would not pretend to deal with cooks for a large group like yours. In my more limited cooks, I would choose to smoke first and oven-cook after. The smoke uptake early in the cook is more important ... which is why many foil after several hours and then finish out of the foil to firm the bark. Others can help you better with time gaps from smoking to finishing and pulling. I feel you will do well by timing so that you finish in the oven, allow some resting time in foil (cooler) for ~ one hour just prior to pulling and serving. If you are too busy with other prep, then some sacrifices must be made in terms of the final product.
GMG_Daniel Boone _ pellets only
Big Green Egg _ Large _ need high heat
Broilmaster D3 'natural' gasser
[I]CB Bandera .. hooked me
Traeger Texas 075 spoiled me[/I][/FONT]
Q_Egg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2007, 08:16 PM   #4
we'll smoke u
is Blowin Smoke!

Just my opinion here. I would smoke it in the smoker first for three to four hours then finish in the oven. I alway let the meat stand for about a 1/2 hour before I pull it, that way it can cool down some so you don't burn your hands. I always pull it before it cools much easier to pull that way.

With all that said If it's possible to do the hole cook on the smoker that would be the way I would do it. I think you get alittle better product.

But if there is time restraints you got to do what you got to do.

Now go have some fun Brother

KCBS MEMBER #24303
COUNTRY SMOKER 570 PELLET FEEDER
ONE SMALL HOME MADE VERTICAL
WEBER KETTLE GOLD 221/2
WEBER BABYQ
we'll smoke u is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2007, 08:18 PM   #5
bowhnter
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter
If you need to use the oven.....Smoke first... take it to 140 degrees to maximize the smoke penetration...then move it to the oven until you get in the 190-200 range or the bone can be cleanly pulled up with little resistance.

If you plan on serving the next day, just pull it after it is cooked to your liking and then store in fridge overnight and add sauce as desired and reheat. Otherwise it will take a lot longer to re-heat a whole butt that has not been pulled yet.
I agree, just smoke it first as long as you can, finish in the oven, let rest, then pull it. Make sure it has some fat or a little liquid in the pan when you are re-heating. It will turn out fine.

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber kettle 22” and 26”
Weber Genesis
Blackstone 22 and 36
Weber Jumbo Joe for the RV
Ooni Pro Pizza Oven

Join us for the South East Bash in Lebanon, Tn. May 4, 2024 https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...p=drivesdk)%5D
Bash planning thread here https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...d.php?t=305951
bowhnter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2007, 08:47 PM   #6
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

You have a couple options.
1. smoke first, pull at 160, wrap in foil, finish in oven. Pull at 200.
2. Do a hot and fast cook. Bubba or Jeff (or others) could probably enlighten you on how to do that in a trash can or a WSM etc. I did a brisket in that basic method for the playoff game... Started at 10:00 and had it sliced and ready before the start of the game. One of the most tender briskets I've ever cooked. Normally I cook a a brisket in around 10 hours.... so doing a 4 hr brisket was amazing to me. I'm sure the same can be done with a butt.... guys?

Old 02-09-2007, 09:40 PM   #7
bowhnter
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

if you want a hot and fast method, and can get your pit to temp....
http://www.kickassbbq.com/Quick_Cook_Boston_Butt.htm

I did it once in 5 hrs...

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber kettle 22” and 26”
Weber Genesis
Blackstone 22 and 36
Weber Jumbo Joe for the RV
Ooni Pro Pizza Oven

Join us for the South East Bash in Lebanon, Tn. May 4, 2024 https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...p=drivesdk)%5D
Bash planning thread here https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...d.php?t=305951
bowhnter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2007, 09:41 PM   #8
tumpedover
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhnter
if you want a hot and fast method, and can get your pit to temp....
http://www.kickassbbq.com/Quick_Cook_Boston_Butt.htm

I did it once in 5 hrs...
YOu beat me to the punch.....just what I was gonna suggest!!

[B][B]Texas Legend -Ok, At least I used to own it !![/B][/B]
[B][B]SmokeMaster [/B]
[/B][B]Lyfe Tyme off set trailer[/B]
[B]55 gal drum/Texas Hibachi [/B]
[B]55 gal drum/ offset smoker[/B]

[B][I][U]Jesus Loves Barbecue[/U][/I][/B]
tumpedover is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2007, 09:54 PM   #9
icemn62
Babbling Farker

Once you get the meat cooked, smoker then oven. You can pull it and store for quite some time. I have always thought the best way to re-heat the meat is in the oven.

By the way is it possible to make the cook on Sunday? that way i would think you could do it all in the smoker.

I AM LOVING THE SMOKE

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
icemn62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2007, 10:09 PM   #10
QansasjayhawQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEAT
I'm thinking about doing some Pulled Pork for some employees at work....roughly 20 people. I've never gone through the process of smoking and pulling but I kind of get the idea after reading some of the posts here.
However my question deals with time. Is it possible to only smoke for half the time and finish the rest of the cooking in the oven.......and/or is it possible to start in the oven first and finish in the smoker last? Obviously it's possible to do both but does anyone recommend it to save time? I'm probably answering my own question but will I lose any flavor or taste?
And my other question is if I do smoke for the recommended time how long can I wait to pull the pork apart? I was thinking of smoking on Tues and pulling and serving on Wed.
Or if anyone can think of a better way (cheaper way) to serve 20 people?
Hope I was clear on my explanation?
Thanks for any help...
I found that heating ribs in the oven works great after the meat has been on the smoker for some time to gain flavor. I suppose the same would go for other parts of the hog.

About the only way I know of to feed 20 people cheaper would be chicken. I just bought leg quarters for $.79 / lb Wednesday night at my local Hy-Vee. Cooked 'em in the oven at 275 for four hours after coating in Fiorella's Jack Stack rub. Meat fell right off the bone - and it was De-licious!

Above all, Have Fun!

/Brother Dave
http://www.moocowbbq.com/
Two Weber 22.5" kettles One Brinkmann Smoke'N PitMaster Deluxe One LARGE WSM! (special black glossy finish) w/Stoker! WooHoo! KCBS Member/KCBS Master CBJ #24295
Sweaty, smokey and enjoying every minute.
QansasjayhawQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2007, 12:12 AM   #11
MEAT
Got Wood.

Thanks for your opinions and all the great ideas.
I still have about two weeks before I'll have to prepare anything.
But I'm hoping to do a test run next Wed with a buddy of mine.
Actually it was his idea but it's my smoker....so lucky me.

Old 02-10-2007, 06:20 AM   #12
cmcadams
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Pork can take higher temps well and still come out great; you can cook it at 350 without much problem. The smoke penetration/flavor won't be as prominent, but it's still very good (you can do it indirectly on a grill with great success). The smoke penetration doesn't stop at 140, but the smokering formation does. If you're going to smoke, that will get you more 'wow' factor if you don't sauce before serving.

Livefire Whisky

CBJ, some comps, a few awards, Certified Artisan Steak Taster.

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2007, 07:14 PM   #13
MEAT
Got Wood.

Come to find out the company I work for may flip for the bill.
So, we maybe going to Plan B: Brisket and sausage.
Crossing my fingers.....but I will try some pulling of the pork come Tues.
I need the practice and I've got ideas....thanks to you all.

Old 02-10-2007, 07:41 PM   #14
backyardchef
Babbling Farker

One thing you may notice when you're cooking the butt or picnic is it may seem to hang for a long time in the range of 160 degrees.....don't panic and don't try to jack up the heat to pass through it. This is the phase when the collagen and fats are rendering inside and that's what helps with the moistness and tenderness.......You'd more likely notice if you were cooking it on the pit at that point.....

The Hampton Smoker Blog: http://backyardchef.blogspot.com

7' Meadow Creek reverse flow w/ a 4' grill on the nose, named Large Marge
48" Klose Backyard Chef named Wubby
Willy the Wonder Grill
Weber Kettle named Georgiette
ECB Spider Web Collector Model
Char-Griller Smokin' Pro Firebrick Supremo
backyardchef is offline   Reply With Quote