Smoking small trout

lhommedieu

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'll be fishing up in the Alleghenies in a month or so and, trout Gods be willing, would like to smoke a few when I get back home. I've smoked salmon sucessfully but smoking trout will be new to me.'

These are wild, freestone trout. Although larger sizes are possible, most keepers range from 12 to 15 inches.

I figure 200 to 220 for about an hour or so. I plan to brine them before I smoke them, and put them in one of those inverted multi rib holders so the smoke can
get up into the cavities.

Does this sound about right?

That sounds like it will work just fine. I rub them down with oil and some salt and pepper on their way to the smoker. Can't wait for trout season to open here in Rhode Island next weekend!

see if you can find some fish smoking hooks like these...

rookhaken%205.gif

hook them in the back and then you can hang them in your smoker like these these mackerels I often smoke.. see the nice smokey insides ?

HPIM5946rr.JPG

I like cooking them over higher indirect heat with an apple slices inside and a slice of bacon wrapped around them...Also use some soaked apple chips. When the bacon is done the fish is too....works perfectly!

A friend brought back some from OK. and we used a cedar plank to smoke them. I don't have pic's of the trout but do have pic's of some salmon done the same way. Delicious! Those trout will be done in about 45 mins at the most with some good smoke flavor.

14k89p2.jpg

That sounds like it will work just fine. I rub them down with oil and some salt and pepper on their way to the smoker. Can't wait for trout season to open here in Rhode Island next weekend!

I couldn't wait -bought some whole trout that had been butterflied by the fish store and just laid them flat on the top grill of the smoker. I put some oil, salt and pepper on them as per your suggestion. 225 for a little over an hour with lump charcoal and a couple of pieces of apple wood.

The result was a light, moist, delicately smoked trout that we ate on crackers with some sour cream and horse radish. If you eat it plain, however, the smoked flavor comes through more. Just delicious.

Going forward I think that I'd prefer a darker color and slightly fuller flavor but don't think that putting them any longer in the smoker will do much good as they'll probably dry out. I think a light dry rub turbinado sugar, salt, pepper, and mild paprika might work here - but I might just leave well enough alone - lol.

My wife stayed up late and when she came to bed she murmured, "Great smoked trout!" Guess how much was left this morning, lol?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=572002286230260&set=pcb.572002662896889&type=1

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=572002362896919&set=pcb.572002662896889&type=1

I brine mine in a mixture of salt, brown sugar and crushed pineapple for a day or so. On the smoker at about 225 with hickory until i get the color and texture I like. Great sweet flavor that isn't overpowering and balances nicely with the pineapple and hickory.

Back