MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:10 PM   #1
Sooner21
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Portable Guru power supply?

Any recommendations?
Sooner21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2010, 08:20 PM   #2
BRBBQ
Babbling Farker

inverter that can plug into your car or deep cycle battery
BRBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2010, 09:26 PM   #3
CaptGrumpy
is one Smokin' Farker

I have the 12 volt car adapter and I have an emergency power jumper battery for the car that has the cigarette outlet to plug into.

[COLOR=red]Red Thermapen & Red Guru DigiQII[/COLOR]

[COLOR=darkgreen]Large Big Green Egg[/COLOR] [SIZE=1][COLOR=yellowgreen]adopted 25MAR08[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[COLOR=darkgreen]Small Big Green Egg[/COLOR] [SIZE=1][COLOR=yellowgreen]adopted 01JUN08[/COLOR][/SIZE]
CaptGrumpy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2010, 09:29 PM   #4
Sooner21
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptGrumpy View Post
I have the 12 volt car adapter and I have an emergency power jumper battery for the car that has the cigarette outlet to plug into.
So the car adapter plugs into the guru in one end and the power jumper battery in the other end?

Old 01-18-2010, 09:36 PM   #5
OakPit
is One Chatty Farker

It is these things - hooked to any deep cycle battery. http://bit.ly/7Z3O49 - they work really well. I run my Traeger on one battery for a couple of long smokes.

Traditional Santa Maria Pit
Mini, Small, Medium & Large BGE
Weber 22" OTS & 26" OTG & 18"WSM & WGA
[COLOR="Red"]Each wearing custom handles from Marty Leach[/COLOR]
OakPit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2010, 09:54 PM   #6
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'm using this

http://www.amazon.com/Duracell-DPP-6.../dp/B000TKHMWK

decent price too
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-18-2010, 10:21 PM   #7
Bones
Full Fledged Farker

I use a jumpstart battery that has a lighter plug. No need to lug a deep cycle battery around. The jumpstart is less money than a deep cycle battery. If you already have a deep cycle battery get the adapter for a lighter plug. Call the Guru folks if you have additional questions and they will be able to help you.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2010, 10:34 PM   #8
Sooner21
is one Smokin' Farker

Does the jumpstarter give enough power for a long smoke?

Old 01-19-2010, 08:17 AM   #9
TN_BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner21 View Post
Does the jumpstarter give enough power for a long smoke?
Yes.
Harbor Freight had a some on sale the other day.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:47 AM   #10
jmoney7269
Banned

I got 2 marine batteries for my boats that rarely get used, so most of the cook places we go we only need power for the cookers and hate to run the big onan just to power gurus. So I bought these today from the guru website. I'm stoked. I wonder how long a 100a/hr battery will run 2 gurus?
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2013, 10:07 AM   #11
SmokinFatties
Full Fledged Farker

Saw this on pitmasteriq.com. I am in no way affiliated with Pitmasteriq. I just own one and saw this on their website and thought if I posted it here I needed to give them the credit or the blame depending on the outcome.

Battery pack instructions:

Get two "4 D Battery Holders" from Radio Shack, part number 270-389 (http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...&filterValue=D ).  Wire these in series (black of pack 1 to red of pack 2) to produce 12 volts (8 x 1.5 volts per battery = 12v).  Wire the positive (red) of pack 1 to the center terminal of a "Size M Coaxial DC Power Plug", part number 274-1569 (http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...rName=Category ).   Wire the negative (black) of pack 2 to the outer terminal of the power plug.  This will run the IQ for several long cooks.  I got 6 long cooks out of mine before I stopped testing it.  Use rechargeable D cells to save money - Radio Shack has these too.

Note that soldering is required to join the wires together and to the power plug.  Use heat shrink or electrical tape over all electrical connections.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:42 AM   #12
jmoney7269
Banned

^^^^^^^^^^lol that will work also but i had $400 worth of deep cycle batteries lying around so i figured i would put them to good use on the gurus while keeping the generator use to a minumum if the weather is good at cookoffs. i know how to series batteries. i removed the 6volt series from the rv and did 12 volt parallel, i like that much better even though there is not as much a/hrs. thanks for the reply also, any info helps future users of this method.
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2013, 11:13 AM   #13
pwa
is One Chatty Farker

I'm with Swamrb and use the

with my stoker with 2 10cfm fans and never ran out of power..... Yet

pwa
WIFI Stoker
Custom Trailer Offset

Owner of BurlesQ BBQ shack
BurlesQ BBQ Facebook
BurlesQ BBQ website
pwa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2013, 11:18 AM   #14
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoney7269 View Post
I got 2 marine batteries for my boats that rarely get used, so most of the cook places we go we only need power for the cookers and hate to run the big onan just to power gurus. So I bought these today from the guru website. I'm stoked. I wonder how long a 100a/hr battery will run 2 gurus?
probably close to 100 hrs continuous. I was told from Guru that the 10cfm fan draws .67ah. now your fan is probably only running 30-40% as a whole during the cook. 2 fans would run non stop for roughly 75 hours.
Untraceable is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 03-26-2013, 11:30 AM   #15
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I used a cheap inverter in the cig lighter or the utility socket, with long extension cord. Have thought about using a small riding lawn mower or even a motorcycle battery, but I really don't use it anymore, so no need for it. The fan used on mine is a 10 cfm and had no problems at all with the inverter used.
Dave