MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:11 PM   #1
bbqstudio
Got Wood.

Default My trip to Stamey's Greensboro

One of the great things I get to do while traveling is try new restaurants and especially with my love for BBQ I normally try to find at least one on a trip to check out. While doing some research on a trip to Greensboro, NC all indications from my web searching was that Stamey’s was the place to go.
I was in a training class while on this trip and asked the teacher who was a native of the area the same question and without hesitation he said the same thing… Stamey’s… he also told me that you had to go to the original one, which was by the Greensboro Coliseum and that one of their claim to fame, is that George W. Bush ate there while he was President. Well – I figured good enough for W. good enough for me ☺

Read on:

http://nicktoday.com/stameys-old-fas...eview-i-guess/

Old 02-18-2013, 06:17 PM   #2
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Bummer about the ribs. This is something I have discussed with Matt, who owns my localish BBQ joint, he says that when he sells out of ribs, he closes it up. That he has found that if you don't have ribs, folks just end up disappointed.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:19 PM   #3
bbqstudio
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Bummer about the ribs. This is something I have discussed with Matt, who owns my localish BBQ joint, he says that when he sells out of ribs, he closes it up. That he has found that if you don't have ribs, folks just end up disappointed.
Didn't even have it on the menu :(
Old 02-18-2013, 06:22 PM   #4
landarc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqstudio View Post
Didn't even have it on the menu :(
Oh wow, that is odd.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:24 PM   #5
bbqstudio
Got Wood.

I thought the same thing... I found another place in Greensboro that had ribs. Will post my review of that soon.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:52 PM   #6
Big Ace
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Oh wow, that is odd.
Interesting menu, not a whole lot of protein choices, pork or chicken.

http://www.stameys.com/menu/Col%20Menu%208-1-11.pdf
Old 02-19-2013, 06:41 AM   #7
bbq.tom
is One Chatty Farker

See my comments to the review on the blog.
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]CBJ - MBN, NCBS, NCPC, SBN[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]CTC - KCBS[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]4 Lil' Pigs Competition BBQ Team[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]270-Sumo, LANG, BDS, & Holland Epic[/COLOR][/SIZE]
bbq.tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:46 PM   #8
bbqstudio
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbq.tom View Post
See my comments to the review on the blog.
Thanks for the comments!
Old 02-19-2013, 03:24 PM   #9
neuyawk
is one Smokin' Farker

I'm not sure I understand the premise of the review. Ideally when sampling regional BBQ it's best to be a blank slate. It would be absurd of me to be irritated at Franklin's BBQ for not having whole hog and for not having either a vinegar or a mustard sauce on hand.

I'm not trying to flame you or be mean about it but the review seems a bit unfair to Stamey's. I personally can't stand Pepsi but it won't seem right for me ding a restaurant for only serving a soda that employs so many of its state's citizens. I agree with the sliced being dry and that's largely because it's taken from the picnic of the shoulder as lots of the old timers enjoy that due to it having less fat. Regional preference is too easy of a straw-man to take down.

In NC, BBQ is chopped pork. So the vast majority of them do not have ribs. And for most of the best in the state, ribs are an after thought.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:53 PM   #10
bbqstudio
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuyawk View Post
I'm not sure I understand the premise of the review. Ideally when sampling regional BBQ it's best to be a blank slate. It would be absurd of me to be irritated at Franklin's BBQ for not having whole hog and for not having either a vinegar or a mustard sauce on hand.

I'm not trying to flame you or be mean about it but the review seems a bit unfair to Stamey's. I personally can't stand Pepsi but it won't seem right for me ding a restaurant for only serving a soda that employs so many of its state's citizens. I agree with the sliced being dry and that's largely because it's taken from the picnic of the shoulder as lots of the old timers enjoy that due to it having less fat. Regional preference is too easy of a straw-man to take down.

In NC, BBQ is chopped pork. So the vast majority of them do not have ribs. And for most of the best in the state, ribs are an after thought.
Don't take it as a flame at all - it's is only one man's opinion of my experience others may have different.

I understand pepsi thing of course but their sweet tea wasn't even that good. As far as sliced - I asked for their best thing... I would suspect that they would offer their best - if it was pulled it was pulled; chicken it would be chicken but they offered sliced and I tried it. The ding was for several reasons dry is one - small portion is second and lack of flavor was three.

My sliced is flavorful and even better with a little sauce again totally fine with your opinion; may before me love it and it was highly recommended to me.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:45 PM   #11
N8man
Babbling Farker

as a sorta "local yokel" I will say that as far as Stamey's goes, there seems to be two schools, those that love it and those that don't.....

I am in the latter......

How I Fire Up That Ugly DrumPit Smoker!!!!
N8man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:49 PM   #12
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Well dang, I find this really strange. First of all, I'm just an every-other-week-or-so North Carolina visitor who eats BBQ 2-3 or more times when I'm down there. BBQ in NC means only one thing: chopped pork. That's what they do. That is why you see signs for "BBQ and ribs" or "BBQ and beef." This may seems strange to those from other parts of the country, but that is what BBQ is in NC. What you ate was not BBQ. Incidentally, at new places, I always order combination plates to see what the other food tastes like -- usually, I am disappointed. You are best off getting only BBQ at 99% of the restaurants. Do not think because they have ribs or beef on the menu that they are good -- they probably aren't. Do not think that because their chopped pork is good, that their ribs or beef are also -- they probably aren't. And also do not think that because their non-BBQ meats are bad that their BBQ is bad. I have not seen any correlation. Also, NC is blessed with having some of the best sides in the country, and I'm not talking about the hushpuppies that are tremendous. Most places have something special that they do exceptionally well. I do find that sliced pork interesting. That's a new one for me.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 02-19-2013, 08:29 PM   #13
Al Czervik

Name/Nickname : Scott/Mongo

Interesting... You don't seem to hesitate to share all you know in this section of the forum.
(='.'=) Avatar by Chalupa
(")_(")
Al Czervik is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 02-20-2013, 09:23 AM   #14
neuyawk
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
I do find that sliced pork interesting. That's a new one for me.
There's still a lot of old timers down south who prefer white meat which is why Maurice's in SC, and most of Georgia prefer to BBQ hams.

In the Piedmont area they'll serve you sliced which comes from the white meat portion of the shoulder that lies in the picnic. It's drier than the rest of the shoulder and Hill's, Lexington Barbecue, and Lexington #1 will drench it in dip first before serving. Based off OP photo it seems that Stameys doesn't.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:33 PM   #15
MilitantSquatter

I first ate at Stamey's in the early 1990's... and quite a few times after. It's been many years though..

Like most BBQ joints, it was hit or miss, but more often than not I enjoyed it for what it was...

I'm visiting some family that way in the weeks ahead, and will try to make it a point to stop in.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote