MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-19-2013, 04:47 PM   #46
wmrrock
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameraman View Post
Well you're not going to cooking butt and your not cooking spares, that's a given. So, I'm guessing brisket or chicken. For your sake I hope it's chicken.
There are 4 items for the comp - Brisket, chicken, ribs and beans. Check out the website for more info www.likosherbbq.org Gives all the details.
wmrrock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2013, 05:05 PM   #47
wmrrock
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q Junkie View Post
Well, I find this post very fascinating for two reasons...

1. Kosher food does not seem to fit into the standard BBQ theme.

2. My next door neighbors are Jewish and although they are not strictly Kosher, I BBQ a lot of pork and and that excludes them from some of our Q's and that sux.
I would like to hear some Jewish input on Q and will post a separate thread.
A good kosher brisket that is smoked is awesome. While I do not maintain a kosher home, the thought of competing in a Kosher Q contest is very appealing to me. There is an entire Kosher Q comp circuit. My co Pit master lived in Israel for a few years and has picked up a few tricks that make for some awesome ribs.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:10 PM   #48
wmrrock
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxfire View Post
I've tried the snake method in my kettles a few times recently and really like it. My own best luck has been to make the snake three briquettes wide and two layers deep with smoking wood laying along the top (dry). I started the snake with 7 fully ashed-over coals and both bottom and upper vents wide open to start. About 40 or 50 degrees below my target temp I close bottom to half and continue to "brake" the temp climb with top vents until it parks. For me that hits at 250 to 275 on a 22.5" Weber. I thought it was easier to hit 225 by only making my snake two briquettes across and two deep and igniting with 5 lit coals rather than trying to choking off a larger fire by turning the vents lower. I agree with those who suggest it's better to adjust your cook to whatever temperature your cooker settles in at rather than fuss with the vents trying to hit your ideal number right on the nose.

Sounds like a great contest, pix when it happens?
Thanks. Will absoultely post pics when it happens - June 9, 2013

Old 01-19-2013, 05:19 PM   #49
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Head KnucklHed

This past August my dad & I took Grand Champ using a Cajun Bandit mod for one 22.5" kettle and another 22.5" kettle with a ROL & Ring...

I'd do it again in a heartbeat! Even without the mods it would be easy!
[B]1967' Int'l Harvester M1100 Food Truck, 220ci 6cyl - 5' ABS Judge - Plethora of Weber Kettles - 2 WSM 22.5's – Bunch of Thermapen Mk's - 36” BlackStone - 3 Bayou Classic Fryers - Ice Cold Kegerator[/B]

[B][I]“We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this.” ~Butz[/I][/B]

Last edited by KnucklHed BBQ; 01-19-2013 at 05:39 PM..
KnucklHed BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2013, 09:46 PM   #50
motoeric
Babbling Farker

BTW, there's an article about this event in the current issue of Smoke Signals. www.smokesignalsmagazine.com

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-19-2013, 09:54 PM   #51
lastmajordude
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Dude

Had a bunch of different grills....settled on a hurricane Katrina semi destroyed OLD kettle from my father in laws.......took the mangled legs off....and kept the big dent in the lid......use if for all my grilling and small smokes......you get kind of attached those old cookers.........