Rub Co Santa Maria/Original Natural Tri Tip

R2Egg2Q

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I ate tri-tip for days last week but while at Safeway the other night I passed by their Open Nature meat case and this tri tip called out to me:

IMG_8487.jpg

Kind of hard to read the label but it reads Natural Angus Beef, 100% natural, no antibiotics, no hormones added, & all vegetarian fed.

This was my first try of the Open Nature meat.

I gave it a little brush of some Victorine Valley garlic flavored olive oil:
IMG_8517.jpg

Honestly, I don't think I can really taste the garlic flavor after cooking but it smells really nice. Realistically, I think it is better suited for dipping bread into it for a nice flavor.

Followed the olive oil with some Rub Co Santa Maria & Original Rubs:
IMG_8496.jpg

IMG_8498.jpg

I like to cook indirect first and end with a sear so I cooked them in the XL Egg indirect at about 300 (a little lower than I usually cook them but I had some meatloaf cooking that I wanted at this temp). It was about 45 minutes of cooking until IT hit about 125. I pulled it off for a brief rest while I removed the cooking grate & plate setter and gained access to a really hot cast iron grate that had been hanging out below on a triangle hanger (brethren tjv's product) just a couple inches above the lump.

This grate temp (580 degrees) was without any additional increase in oxygen so it was ready to sear immediately:
IMG_8540.jpg

Searing away:
IMG_8544.jpg

After pulling and about a 8-10 minute rest:
IMG_8545.jpg

Sliced thin across the grain:
IMG_8547.jpg

IMG_8553.jpg

I can honestly say this was the best tasting tri-tip I've ever cooked and likely the best I've ever tasted. It was so tender & juicy and both my wife & I tasted a little buttery flavor (no butter was added :-D). I'm inclined to think it being natural made a difference as I really didn't do anything different than my past tri-tip cooks. Although this tri-tip cost considerably more than Safeway's normal tri-tip (Rancher's Reserve), I think it was worth it which is something I really wasn't expecting to say.

Thanks for looking.

John that looks simply perfect! That piece of meat looks really nicely marbled even after you cooked it. Gonna have to try one of those once I reduce my tri-tip inventory in the freezer

Why doesn't my Safeway over here in the ghetto have that kind of meat? Oh, I just discovered Victorine vinegars and olive oils, they are terrific. Nice job as usual John.

When Marty finally gets done picking his jaw off the floor, processing and choking down the budget for his new backyard and Santa Maria style grill will you come over and show us how to cook on it?

Looks awesome! Now somebody in the Northeast tell me what I have to do to find some tri tip???

That's an awesome looking Tri Tip, both in the package and cooked. Looks to have been done to perfection. Nice job.

Thanks for the compliments everyone! I was so thrilled with the tri-tip results that I forgot about a meatloaf I was cooking :doh: (and moved to another grill so I could sear the tri-tip). Worst part is I wrote about the meatloaf in this thread and still didn't remember that I left some cooking! :tsk:

By the time I stumbled upon the meatloaf, it had an internal temp of 210 degrees. Not pretty unless my goal was meatloaf charcoal!

When Marty finally gets done picking his jaw off the floor, processing and choking down the budget for his new backyard and Santa Maria style grill will you come over and show us how to cook on it?

Sounds like fun but considering I've never cooked on a Santa Maria grill before I may need a couple of practice runs on his SM grill first! :becky:

I really like Tri Tip. It isn't seen as often in Utah as I'd like so I buy big packs of it at Costco and vacuum seal them.

A great cut of meat.

Back