MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-13-2013, 01:20 AM   #1
Titch
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)
Default Green Mountain Grills

Anyone have any thoughts on these pellet grills please.
Mainly thinking of the

The Jim Bowie Model comes with a digital control, a meat probe, a peaked lid for stand-up chicken/ large fowl/ rib racks, a convenience tray with utensil hooks and hard rubber tires. Also included is Sense-Mate, a thermal sensor which constantly monitors the ambient temperature. When it gets cold outside, it kicks the grill into Turbo mode so you don’t have to wait long for the grill to heat up! You’ll also get a venturi-style firebox for cyclone combustion, front casters, a positive pressure hopper fan to prevent burn-back, a dome thermometer and “fan only” mode with automatic grill shut-off to blow ash out of the firebox after you finish grilling. The stainless steel grate measures 37.5” X 16” (600 sq. in.) (95.25 x 40.64 cm or 3871 sq cm) and the inside height clearance is 13.5” (34.29 cm). The Jim Bowie weighs 83 kg (183 pounds).

Old 08-13-2013, 06:22 AM   #2
swright
Got rid of the matchlight.

i have had one for six months now and love it. it is great for everyday cooking but has a couple down sides. if you use it as a smoker it will not get a strong smoke flavor. It also will not get hot enough to sear steaks the way i like them but other than that i would not go back to a gas grill.
swright is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-13-2013, 09:55 AM   #3
bigticket1
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swright View Post
i have had one for six months now and love it. it is great for everyday cooking but has a couple down sides. if you use it as a smoker it will not get a strong smoke flavor. It also will not get hot enough to sear steaks the way i like them but other than that i would not go back to a gas grill.
I have a Daniel Boone and love it. Got an Amazen tube smoker and that adds the extra smoke if you feel you need it.
bigticket1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2013, 10:14 AM   #4
swright

i never thought about the tube smoker great advise thanks
swright is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2013, 11:57 AM   #5
Old Dave
Full Fledged Farker

Default Green Mountain Grills

As an owner of a couple of different pellet grills and a long time user of this method of cooking and baking, I feel qualified to answer why I selected my new Green Mountain Daniel Boone pellet grill over the competition. As a user, I wanted features to suit my style of cooking. I am sure some of my wants and needs may be different than others and I would suggest that they would select a cooker to their style of cooking and needs.

Headspace or height of the cooking chamber...

Along with the standard features of the taller headspace in the cooker that gives you room for beer butt chickens and turkeys, you also have room for raised grid baking which works well in most cookers, additional space for rib racks, and room for a rotisserie setup.

The cooker has a full 13-1/2 of headspace which did allow me to fabricate an inexpensive 2 piece second raised cooking grid which doubled the cooking space inside the cooker. I have a total of 864 sq. in. of cooking space with this additional grid.

I can use the full raised 2nd grid or just one side as you see in the pictures. Really adds flexibility to my grill.

Rotisserie Setup

I love rotisserie setups and put them on most of my backyard cookers. The large headspace in the Green Mountain makes adapting this feature to this cooker a fairly easy modification.

These are two whole chickens and two turkey breasts but I do have enough room to do two whole turkeys at a time.

These are slab potatoes and hot chicken wings in another rotisserie setup that does require quite a bit of head space.

High Heat Grilling Insert

I was able to add a high heat grilling insert to this fine grill which was important to me as I like steaks cooked at the tip of a wood or charcoal flame at high temps.

Then, with the addition of Grill Grates, I have one fine high temp grilling setup.

Steaks and burgers sure look good coming off the cooker with this modification.

Raised Grid Baking

The increased headroom in this cooker allows me at add my ceramic plate setter and my hearth stone for my baking. This raised hearth works great with equal temperatures and great air-flow all around the hearth which makes for great baking. Our breads are wonderful coming off of this cooker.

Temperature Range of this Grill

We do quite a bit of cold smoking and the lower range of 150 degrees works well with items like jerky, sausage, fish, and other products. Most pellet cookers will not go this low so that is a feature we like.

Jerky comes out great on the cooker.

Controller

What is not to like about a controller with an integrated meat probe, a remote option if you want it, has a turbo mode for colder Winter climates, and in most temperature ranges will operate with less than 10 degree temperature swings with your cooking.

Other great Features

Will operate on my less expensive modified sine wave inverter in no power situations.

Fairly inexpensive thermal jacket for cold weather cooking.

Local dealers and a company with a wonderful track record of solving any problems that might occur with the use of the cooker.

A few times during the cooking season, the company will offer up deals that can save you as much $100 dollars off the purchase price. Many dealers will also sweeten a deal on the cooker as well.

“Bang for the Buck”

For my needs, and after comparing several cookers in this price range, I felt that the price paid along with all the great features and the easy adaptability to some of the modifications I wanted just gave me more bang for the buck.
Old Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 08-13-2013, 01:50 PM   #6
Shady
Knows what a fatty is.

I love my Daniel Boone it truely is a set it forget it cooker. If you get the remote control its a set it and really forget it, as far as smoke flavor you have to use the pellet cooker time line, 180 for two hours, then finish cooking at a higher temp.
Have made cheesecakes, pies, comp meat, burgers, you name it it will cook it.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:09 PM   #7
Woody1911a1
Full Fledged Farker

love my GMG DBR ! although at times i wish id bought the JB , with a second shelf i've never run out of room .

just buy one ! opens up another world of Q'ing .
Woody1911a1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2013, 04:52 AM   #8
Titch

Thanks so much or your inputs, they are highly Valued

Old 08-14-2013, 05:05 AM   #9
Smoke Dawg
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : IMF

Love our Daniel Boone

I agree with Swright but will look into the high heat modification that Old Dave has.

It will hold 500° stock but just does not sear as desired and can run at 150° on the low end
Only Brethren to win a TD with all the votes!
IMBAS Certified Moink Baller
Smoke Dawg is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2013, 09:59 PM   #10
Lsmith52

Where can I find the insert? I already have the grates but I would really like the insert also.

Thanks
Lsmith52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2013, 05:02 AM   #11
Titch

Thank you all for your replies, I have ordered and paid for a Danial Boone today.
Will be my present to my lovely wife for our Wedding Anniversary.

Old 09-18-2013, 05:10 AM   #12
westy
is one Smokin' Farker

Congratulations Tich! Cant wait to get a look at it. When do you take delivery?

Kingsford COS
Masterbuilt CES
WeberQ 220
Santa Maria 30x20
WGA
PBC
westy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2013, 05:13 AM   #13
Titch

Quote:
Originally Posted by westy View Post
Congratulations Tich! Cant wait to get a look at it. When do you take delivery?

She will get her prezzie on the 30th

Old 09-18-2013, 05:15 AM   #14
westy
is one Smokin' Farker

Happy Anniversary to you both!

Kingsford COS
Masterbuilt CES
WeberQ 220
Santa Maria 30x20
WGA
PBC
westy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2013, 05:20 AM   #15
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

Congrats on the purchase and happy anniversary. I am imagining the beating I would take if I gave my wife a cooker for our anniversary.
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote