MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:28 PM   #1
porkmebaby
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Default First comp pork box

Have been a tag along on a couple of BBQ comps and recently had the opportunity to get my feet wet at a non sanctioned event cooking one meat the pork. I struggled with the presentation side of this because what do I do? Shred it? Slice it? Chunk it? Dice it? Form it into 6 clumps? Seemed the most difficult of the 4 meats to present to me. Anyway I was very happy with the taste, tenderness and flavor and also thought it had a nice smoke ring and very nice bark that I tried to be "the feature" in my box. The mm was just too tender to medallion and just shredded when sliced. Please critique my first time box! Give suggestions or add some pics! Thanks

image.jpg
porkmebaby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2013, 05:38 AM   #2
loco_engr
is one Smokin' Farker

Looks like all chunks, maybe needed some pulled . . .

Old 07-22-2013, 05:45 AM   #3
Twelvegaugepump
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

Color looks great. I agree that some pulled should be added. Also, as a judge, symmetry of your presentation tends to drive the score up. Yours looks tasty but scattered in the box. My 2 cents. Good luck in future comps!
Twelvegaugepump is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-22-2013, 08:48 AM   #4
Big Darb
Knows what a fatty is.

IMHO, the chunks seem like an unwieldy size, I'd consider breaking them up a bit more. Also, I'm thinking the appearance is actually too heavy on the bark (esp the left side). Adding some pulled as the other guys suggested could help that too.

That said,my team's appearance scores for pork would suggest that I'm in no position to give advice on the matter. I'd agree that pork is the hardest to present.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:24 AM   #5
BB-Kuhn
Take a breath!

Whatever you decide to do (add pulled, slices, whatever) Just look at it and try to make it even in the box. It looks delicious, but it looks like you just chucked it in and closed the lid.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:48 AM   #6
bbq.tom
is One Chatty Farker

Definitely try to segregate different "types" of meat in the box. chunks with bark around the outside (at least 6 chunks) with pulled in the middle would probably look better and "thought out" instead of looking like you dumped the mess in the box.

Smaller chunks would help too,
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]CBJ - MBN, NCBS, NCPC, SBN[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]CTC - KCBS[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]4 Lil' Pigs Competition BBQ Team[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]270-Sumo, LANG, BDS, & Holland Epic[/COLOR][/SIZE]
bbq.tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2013, 01:21 PM   #7
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

For ideas (of what TO do, and what NOT to do) and pictures, see bbqcritic.com
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2013, 09:59 PM   #8
ITBFQ
is One Chatty Farker

No doubt, check out bbqcritc.com. A great resource with tons of feedback.

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hatfield-and-McCoy-Barbecue/765488903565575"]Hatfield and McCoy Barbecue[/URL] - Co-Pitmaster
Illinois This Butt's for 'Que - Pitmaster

KCBS CBJ; 18.5" WSM; [COLOR="Sienna"]U[/COLOR][COLOR="Navy"]D[/COLOR][COLOR="Sienna"]S[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Red"]Thermapen Mk4[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Blue"]DigiQ DX2[/COLOR]; [COLOR="DarkOrange"]IQ120[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Gray"]CharBroil Gasser (wind victim after 11 years)[/COLOR]; Maverick; OTS x2; etc.

[URL="http://bbqbeat.com/hatfield-and-mccoy-bbq-team/"]We're (kinda) famous![/URL]
ITBFQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2013, 10:23 PM   #9
Stark-O-Rama
On the road to being a farker

I think that Sliced, Pulled, and Chopped Pork tend to do well. We walked in Pork. We knew we nailed it, so we gave 3 options. Before you send your box in, take a picture with your cell phone, and look at it for symmetry. EVERY TIME we look at the picture, it's obvious what's off.

Personally, your box makes me hungry, and I LOVE chunks of pork. However, there are judges looking at many boxes, and for appearance, you've got to try and stand out with a beautiful, symmetrical, box. Bring out your inner artist next time
[/B]Disposable Cutting Boards on a Perforated Roll, 5 gl Bucket Liners, Steam Pan Liners, Cooler Liners, Stark Naked BBQ Pit, Probe & Grill Cleaner, Stark Kitchen Food Grade Surface Cleaner
[url]www.starkboards.com[/url]
Stark-O-Rama is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2013, 03:51 PM   #10
J&B'sBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbq.tom View Post
Definitely try to segregate different "types" of meat in the box. chunks with bark around the outside (at least 6 chunks) with pulled in the middle would probably look better and "thought out" instead of looking like you dumped the mess in the box.

Smaller chunks would help too,
Listen to Tom!!! He has helped us a lot with presentation tips :).

With that being said, I agree with using different "types". We include multiple types of pork and our chunks are more 1 bite in size so they can pop that whole piece right in (if they want). Symmetry is very important as well.
[URL="http://www.southernqsmokers.com"]Southern Q Limo Jr. & 125 Water Cooker[/URL]
Proudly Supported By:
[URL="http://www.southernqsmokers.com"]Southern Q Smokers & Trailers[/URL]
[URL="http://www.swampboys.com/wordpress/"]Swamp Boys BBQ Sauces and Rubs[/URL]
[URL="https://carolinacookwood.com"]Carolina Cookwood[/URL][/FONT][/SIZE]
J&B'sBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2013, 04:30 PM   #11
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Bark can also harden up after sitting. Leave your box out 20 minutes and then taste it. If the bark is still soft, fine, but otherwise back off on it some.
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote