MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:19 AM   #1
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

Default How Much Hickory is Too Much? - Funny

We competed in a wing and rib comp yesterday. The team cooking next to us was using a big charcoal grill with the fire built at one end.

During the comp, they used two of the LARGE bags of hickory chunks (plus kept adding MATCHLIGHT charcoal during the cook. Two hours into the cook (at 250 F) he asked me why his ribs looked burned. I suggested he foil and stop adding hickory (he was smoking us out).

I also cautioned him to not keep the ribs in foil too long since the meat would be falling off the bone. He said there was no way the meat would fall off the bone because that only happens when you boil ribs.

In the end he was DQd for raw chicken. He says he knew it was done because it was dark in color plus he fed 100 friends and they all said it was delicious.

He claims the judging was rigged.

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 06-23-2013, 11:37 AM   #2
Shadowdog500
is Blowin Smoke!

I'm sure the guy thinks he has the best BBQ in the world. I've also found if you are feeding a large group of friends free BBQ, they will love whatever you serve them even if its burnt on the outside, raw on the inside , and covered in the cheapest sauce you can buy.

Hopefully he enjoyed the experience!

How did you fare? And photos?

Chris
Shadowdog500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-23-2013, 11:39 AM   #3
lance0623
Knows what a fatty is.

Maybe I wouldn't come in last if I ever try a competition. Can't imagine smoking with matchlight.
lance0623 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2013, 11:41 AM   #4
kds9547
is one Smokin' Farker

Raw chicken... Mmmmmmm.....
kds9547 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2013, 11:43 AM   #5
kds9547
is one Smokin' Farker

I don't do competitions and have no desire to, but I know some guys who do. I don't recall any of them saying they cooked for 100 friends while at a competition. Most times they are too focused on cooking for the judges. I guess it could happen though.
kds9547 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2013, 11:58 AM   #6
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowdog500 View Post

How did you fare? And photos?
See my post in the comp section.

KCBS CBJ

Old 06-23-2013, 02:49 PM   #7
SmokeDiddy
On the road to being a farker

I Don't do comps, but it sounds like the team you're referring to don't have a clue what they're doing. They asked for advice, you gave it to them and if they aren't willing to listen....well then, it's their loss. My 2 cents.

[B]*BSKD[/B]
[B]*Weber 22.5" OTS[/B]
[B]*40" MES[/B]
[B]*ECB (RIP)[/B]
[B]*Weber Smokey Joe (RIP)[/B]
[B]*Maverick ET-7[/B]
[COLOR="Red"]*Weber tongs and such, hd alum foil, chimneys, matches, wood and other misc doo-dads and thing-a-majigs[/COLOR]
SmokeDiddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2013, 08:40 PM   #8
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

We cooked across from a team a couple of years ago who were using Three ECBs that had white smoke pouring from them the whole time. I watched them for a while and they were chopping up 2x4s and tossing them into the ECBs! I'm pretty sure they ended up DAL.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2013, 12:38 PM   #9
el_matt
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
We cooked across from a team a couple of years ago...they were chopping up 2x4s and tossing them into the ECBs! I'm pretty sure they ended up DAL.
C'mon Ron, don't act like you've never been in a pinch, and haven't used scrap from a fence build. Pressure treated wood gives my meat a distinctive tang!

Matt

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-24-2013, 02:00 PM   #10
Harbormaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Clark

Quote:
We cooked across from a team a couple of years ago who were using Three ECBs that had white smoke pouring from them the whole time. I watched them for a while and they were chopping up 2x4s and tossing them into the ECBs! I'm pretty sure they ended up DAL.
You promised you'd never tell anyone!

To the OP, at least you tried to help them. If they don't listen...
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2013, 02:05 PM   #11
dave32063
Full Fledged Farker

Matchlight is the funniest part of that whole story to me

Old 06-24-2013, 02:50 PM   #12
lantern
is Blowin Smoke!

At least you didn't tell him to use something besides matchlight! I've been told off after being asked what I like and what I wouldn't use for my bbq and dared to speak ill of matchlight!
lantern is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2013, 03:20 PM   #13
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbormaster View Post

To the OP, at least you tried to help them. If they don't listen...
He asked me several other questions, but once I knew he wasn't listening to advice, I kept my mouth shut. I didn't want him to turn around and blame me for his crappy turn-ins.

KCBS CBJ

Old 06-24-2013, 04:00 PM   #14
Higgledy
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Phil

Quote:
Why is white smoke bad? I'm newbie this year. I was smoking a pork shoulder yesterday and had lots of white smoke. I thought it was a good thing. BTW, the pork tasted good.
Higgledy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2013, 04:29 PM   #15
lance0623
Knows what a fatty is.

The thick white smoke will give the food a much stronger, bitter or acrid taste. Good smoke (thin blue smoke you can hardly see) is generally agreed to be the goal.
lance0623 is offline   Reply With Quote