MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:50 PM   #1
93vpmod
is Blowin Smoke!

Default SM Rub & BH Sauce Suggestions

I received a package of rubs and sauces today, mostly the Simply Marvelous variety pack, Blues Hog sauces, the Smokin' Guns-Sweet Heat, and Plowboys Yardbird.

While I have seen numerous different combinations on ribs, I was looking for some suggestions for two racks of spares for my next cook...any ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (49.8 KB, 99 views)
93vpmod is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2013, 04:01 PM   #2
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I like to put on a layer of the Sweet and Spicy, not too heavy. Let it sit for 15 minutes, then put on a layer of Cherry, Let it melt a bit, then onto the cooker. Sauce with the Original Blues Hog cut with about 10%-15% cider vinegar about 5 minutes before taking off the cooker.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-24-2013, 04:20 PM   #3
code3rrt
Babbling Farker

I like to use the SM Season All and the SM Spicey Apple, about 1/2 & 1/2. And if I want the Bues Hog sauce, I'll use 1/2 & 1/2 Original and Tennessee Red.

You have lots a great stuff there, just play with it all until you find a combination that hits your hot button!

Enjoy,
KC

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-24-2013, 04:23 PM   #4
landarc

Incidentally, I have never used the Smokin' Guns Sweet Heat, but, I use the SG Hot, and I like to use it over the SM Cherry, Dizzy Pig or Yardbird, as it adds a little punch.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 04-24-2013, 08:45 PM   #5
93vpmod
is Blowin Smoke!

Used the Smokin' Guns and both Blues Hog sauces 50/50 on some smoked chicken from yesterday.

Awesome! Great flavor, some sweet, a little vinegar and that little bit of heat that snuck up on you. Two white buns, slaw, and some pickle slices...

Old 04-24-2013, 08:48 PM   #6
IamMadMan

Now that's a package....

Any combination will work great, all good stuff.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2013, 08:55 PM   #7
SmokinFatties
Full Fledged Farker

I used the SM cherry rub and sauced with BH original with great results. The BH had some people scratching their heads the first time I used it because it was so different than our local sauces. The next time I cooked they begged for the BH to be on my food.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:02 PM   #8
shirknwrk
is one Smokin' Farker

Love the BH mix... 2/3 Original 1/3 Tennessee red. Yardbird is great on ribs as well as chicken. Bit salty if you put on a heavy layer... sometimes put on a layer of Cherry first. (on ribs).
shirknwrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2013, 09:09 PM   #9
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

The Blue Hog is definitely a winner, though it looks like you have Tennessee Red and the new Smokey Mountain sauce. Too bad you didn't get any Original as that is my personal favorite.

I would try some of the SM Cherry rub with a light BHTR glaze right towards the end.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:37 PM   #10
93vpmod
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbassman5 View Post
Too bad you didn't get any Original as that is my personal favorite.
Sadly, I ordered the wrong item...thought I was getting the BH original. I guess it gives me a reason to order more to sample. (I can already hear the wife!)

Old 04-24-2013, 09:46 PM   #11
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93vpmod View Post
Sadly, I ordered the wrong item...thought I was getting the BH original. I guess it gives me a reason to order more to sample. (I can already hear the wife!)
Well I don't know about around by Springfield but here in STL Shop n' Save and Schnucks carry the Original. Last time I stocked up at the Schnucks by me it was $3.98 a jar. Not a bad price and no online ordering. In fact, you could just add it to the wifey's grocery list! She would never know!

Old 04-24-2013, 09:47 PM   #12
landarc

Go with the Smoky Mountain and Tennessee Red mixed, it is also good. I just used a little of the Smoky Mountain on some pork, it was quite good.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]