MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:38 PM   #1
bo_gator
On the road to being a farker

Default Burnt Ends, how do you do it?

I made my first attempt at Brunt Ends today, pretty much following Myron Mixon's procedure from his book. Needless to say, I was not impressed. Either I don't like Burnt Ends, or these didn't turn out properly. Being in North Carolina, I can honestly say I've never seen Burnt Ends on a restaurant menu or anywhere else in my life, so I have no point of reference on whether or not these were any good, or what they should have tasted like.

My question is, how do you make Burnt Ends

Webber 18 1/2" WSM, Webber 22 1/2" WSM, Webber 22 1/2" OTG Kettle, Teal Thermapen

You mean Sriricha isn't one of the four basic food groups :?:
bo_gator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2013, 07:48 PM   #2
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Caveat: I don't normally make burnt ends.

But, here is what I do for others. I remove the point once the flat is done. I like to cut the point into two-bite chunks. I will thin some sauce, with a little beer or apple juice, then mix the brisket chunks with the sauce, then into a foil pan. Into the smoker, and let it cook until the chunks are fork tender. Pretty straightforward.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2013, 07:54 PM   #3
Bludawg

I don't, never had one I can't see wasting the best part of a brisket. Real burnt ends are cut from the tip of the point and served as they are or so I'm tole.

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-17-2013, 08:02 PM   #4
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I do not wate good brisket meat on that.Maybe the trimmings.like said above,toss with some thinned out sauce and cook til fall apart tender.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2013, 08:13 PM   #5
Wampus

The best burnt ends I've had are competition BE's. All we do it cook the whole packer until the flat is done. Then we remove the point from the flat, try and take off all the big outside layer of fat, cube into about 1.5" cubes, lightly sauce, toss in a foil pan and back on the smoker.

We let them render out for at least a couple more hours, checking once in a while. Lightly sauce about every hour to carmelize and get nice and chewy.

Once they're fork tender, they're good to go.

They should be nice and meaty with a sticky, gooey chew to the outside. Mely in your mouth tender, but still beefy. We don't re-rub them at all. I"ve done that but they end up real salty (I guess depending on the rub).

Old 03-17-2013, 08:29 PM   #6
bigabyte

There are a few schools of thought as to what good burnt ends should be like.

The two most common differences are the slightly larger and somewhat fatty burnt ends that can be easily made by chopping up the point, reseasoning, recooking and saucing. These can range anywhere from crispy on the outside and tender inside, to tender throughout depending on how you make them. In this case, what people are going for is the "point fat" which is quite flavorful.

The other kind is basically the "original" burnt ends, which are literally the bits trimmed of to square the brisket for slicing and/or the bits left of the board that fell of from slicing, usually on the ends of the slices which were most done and fell off. These are usually more trim pieces of meat, not necessarily all that fatty, and are crispy by default due to the nature of how they were created essentially...they are bark-heavy.

I tend to like the original kinds, but I also make these from the point, and some do it this way but most folks making burnt ends from the point do it per the first method I described.

What I like to do is trim all visible exterior fat from the point meat before chopping. This will allow for more "crispy". Then I chop the meat into smaller bits, I prefer really small like 1/2" to 3/4" cubes. I season these, season heavily in fact, and return to the pit for a good 2 to 3 hours to get crispy. I season again at the end with a light dusting for added flavor. I actually like mine without sauce. I like the crispy exterior, the chewy to tender interior, and all that barky flavor. If I add sauce, it is when serving. Like Wampus described above, all this added seasoning makes them a tad salty, but I like mine that way. They're like some sort of BBQ Brisket jerky treats in my opinion...and jerky is salty.

I don't honestly hear of a lot of folks making them that way like I like, however. It is certainly easier to just do the first method I described, and it is by far the most popular.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 03-17-2013, 11:25 PM   #7
fremont
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

All are different, but here's what I do. 1) Separate point & flat; 2) trim fat off point and re-rub exposed portions; 3) place point back on for 1 hour; 4) remove point and cube in 1.5-2" pieces; 5) dredge chunks through a mixture of 2/3 your favorite sauce + 1/3 beef broth; 6) place in alum pan and cook 45-60 min; 7) toss cubes with full strength BBQ sauce for approx 30 min
fremont is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2013, 08:06 AM   #8
jmoney7269
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
I don't, never had one I can't see wasting the best part of a brisket. Real burnt ends are cut from the tip of the point and served as they are or so I'm tole.
+1 love meeezz some point when it ls properly cooked, why mess it up with all that sauce?
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2013, 08:21 AM   #9
Brauma

BE's should melt in your mouth like carmalized beefy goodness poppers. Not all points are made equally. You could've had a bad point with too much grissle.

I sprinkle a little turbanado on mine along with the sauce. Sauce should be thinned-out bold sauce. Cook down till they're done, then go a little more.

We got 1st place on our brisket last July at Que & Cruz. I'm sure it was the BE's that put it over the top.

Community Development VP - Secret Squirrel Society (but we don't exist)
Member: KCBS. CBJ

New Braunfels Bandera - refurbished; Two Big Green Eggs; 6' fire pit; Weber Kettles; Superfast Blue Thermepan
Brauma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2013, 01:37 PM   #10
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

I save the drippings from the brisket cook. Cool the drippings and remove the fat. I have cuttings left from the slicing of he brisket and pieces that cannot be served as sliced brisket. The pieces and some juice are reheated and pulled apart. I don't cut into cubes just leave as they come off the brisket. What ever size they are is what they are. They do fall apart, so I don't worry about size. The best part is the drippings from the cook. I has a really great beefy flavor.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->