MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:00 PM   #1
BigTone
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Thermometer Choices

I have been looking at thermometers for a UDS smoker im going to build soon and im having a tough time knowing which is good and which is junk. I need one for the side of the uds and I wanted one for checking the meat itself, any suggestions? thanks, Anthony
BigTone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2013, 01:51 PM   #2
jestridge
somebody shut me the fark up.

I buy the ones from walmart seem to last pretty good
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2013, 02:30 PM   #3
BBQdisciple
Full Fledged Farker

I go through the walmart ones like toilet tissue, don't know If i do something wrong or what, the probes just seem to burn out on me.

Bought the Maverick ET-73 I burned out one of the probes, called maverick and they sent me a new one, no questions asked ($10 part).

Loyal to Maverick ever since.
BBQdisciple is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2013, 02:41 PM   #4
aawa
Babbling Farker

If you want one for the outside of the smoker you can pick up a Tel-Tru thermometer. They are solid thermometers that hold calibration really well.

For checking temperatures for meats inside the smoker you can get something like a Thermapen, or a Maverick PT100 instant reads. There are some others that take temperatures slower also but those 2 are the bee's knees.

If you are looking for a single solution for keeping temps of the smoker as well as large cuts of meat. The Maverick ET-732 is a great option. It has the grate probe for smoker temps and a meat probe for meats internal temperatures. It also has a wireless receiver so you do not have to constantly walk outside to check temperatures. It also has hi/lo bbq alarm warning as well as food temp warnings so that it will beep at you should it cross the thresholds. I love this feature for overnight cookers. I can set the hi/low threshold, and food target temperature and when it warns me, I wake up and tend to the smoker.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:47 PM   #5
Enkidu
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQdisciple View Post
I go through the walmart ones like toilet tissue, don't know If i do something wrong or what, the probes just seem to burn out on me.

Bought the Maverick ET-73 I burned out one of the probes, called maverick and they sent me a new one, no questions asked ($10 part).

Loyal to Maverick ever since.
That just happened to me yesterday. I burned out my food probe a few weeks ago mid cook and called Maverick yesterday to find out about the warranty and to order a new part. Despite the fact that it was beyond the 90-day warranty, they said they were sending me a new probe free of charge, no questions asked, without me even asking for them to do it. You better bet I am going to be loyal to Maverick after that.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:54 PM   #6
yakdung
is One Chatty Farker

I do not use analog thermometers. Digital only. One in the product, and one at grate level.
Good company good products:
http://www.thermoworks.com/products/...emp_timer.html
yakdung is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2013, 07:22 PM   #7
BobM
Babbling Farker

I put a couple of cheap, Chinese made thermometers on my WSMs. They have been working well so far.
Details.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...07#post2299407

For meat, I use a Taylor analog meat thermometer, cheap and works well.
I do have my eye on a Thermapen, they are nice!

I have a Maverick ET-732, which works well. The pit probe did go bad after about 10 cooks though, I had to buy a replacement.

Good luck!
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |

Last edited by BobM; 01-29-2013 at 07:43 PM..
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2013, 07:40 PM   #8
oifmarine2003
Babbling Farker

I use one I got about Bass Pro Shops that is made by Horizon Smoke Company and I love it. I think I paid $49 or so for it. I am not sure how to post a link to it but I have a picture of it in my smoker build along.
oifmarine2003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2013, 07:42 PM   #9
oifmarine2003
Babbling Farker

I figured it out. Here is the link:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...=152554&page=2
oifmarine2003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2013, 08:49 PM   #10
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : D

I got one of the Thermoworks TW8060 and two K-type probes from Auber here is the meat probe. I have had the thermometer and k-type probes for over 2 years and they still work great. I use them ever cook. I just ordered a new K type high temperature just cause I wanted a new toy Sometimes you pay for what you get.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:23 PM   #11
Happy Hapgood
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

As per your OP and if you want to know only the internal meat temp, it would be a Thermapen. Approx. $79 - $99.

As others have said, Thermoworks products are about as good as it gets for Q ing.
I do temps for a living and as AustinKnight said, the K's are hands down better than the resistor type T'stats. I can't speak to the drum Bi-Metal stats as I have yet to find an accurate one.

Just my .02.
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2013, 09:27 PM   #12
javahog2002
is one Smokin' Farker

Finally ordered a Black Maverick ET-732 to replace my Taylor Weekend Warrior. The probe wire finally shed it's skin. I would buy a new probe if they were not as much as I paid for the whole unit.