MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:05 PM   #1
volfan411
On the road to being a farker

Default Sirlion Steaks

While not my favorite the local grocery store had them on sale. Should they just be grilled to medium rare?

Old 01-12-2013, 01:26 PM   #2
djoseph74

Quote:
Originally Posted by volfan411 View Post
While not my favorite the local grocery store had them on sale. Should they just be grilled to medium rare?
I feel steaks are personal. I like mine seasoned, then cooked medium rare to medium.

With that said, personally, I'd at least do a nice salt and pepper season, then grill 'em up. Enjoy!

Old 01-12-2013, 01:26 PM   #3
chingador
is One Chatty Farker

I like them pittsburg rare. Sirloin is not too good, but I have had akashi and it wasn't too bad. It is still a steak though, so that is pretty cool.

Rec Tec 590 Stampede, Primo Oval XL, Weber 26" Kettle with Gabby Grills Santa Maria attachment. Lonestargrillz 42" pellet grill on order.
chingador is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2013, 03:27 PM   #4
BobM
Babbling Farker

Like "djoseph74" said, it's personal.
They're good with salt, pepper and a little garlic powder. I love sauteed onions on steak.
I often do a reverse sear. I like them rare!
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2013, 03:38 PM   #5
volfan411

Thanks guys that was my plan salt and pepper and cook them to medium rare. I may have to do those sauteed onions as well.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:42 PM   #6
BobM
Babbling Farker

Onions, hmmm!
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2013, 04:35 PM   #7
Foxfire
Full Fledged Farker

Last birthday my girlfriend took me to a Brazillian steakhouse and the sirloin was one of my favorite items they brought around. I'm determined to find a way to someday make it that good at home. Those were done on rotisserie of course, about medium by the color.
[COLOR="Blue"]Blue [/COLOR]Weber Performer + Craycort CI • [COLOR="red"]Brick Red[/COLOR] Weber One-Touch Platinum • Weber 26.75 Kettle • Akorn Kamado • ET 732 • Record-crushing [COLOR="Orange"][B]ORANGE[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen • UDS In Progress
Foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2013, 06:09 PM   #8
firefighter4634
is one Smokin' Farker

Fresh ground pepper, salt, fresh garlic then on to a hot grill until internal of around 132 deg. Let them sit for ten minutes tented. Then cover with sauteed onions. And if you do not like them, send them my way

Old 01-12-2013, 07:31 PM   #9
yakdung
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by volfan411 View Post
This is the method we used when we were on a fishing trip in Grand Isle Louisiana. Purchased a Lodge ribbed pan just to cook steaks.

Good luck,
yakdung is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2013, 08:34 PM   #10
realspaazz
Take a breath!

I cook mine rare... the only ones that ever get cooked to medium are for guests who ask for well done.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:10 PM   #11
Ole Man Dan
is one Smokin' Farker

If I'm grilling over a hot fire touching the grate, I like to cook mine about 3 minutes a side, with Salt,Pepper, Garlic Powder ect...
As soon as I pull em I put a pat of butter on each while it rest.
About 3 minutes starts to set the juices.

(3 minutes a side leaves a little 'Moo' in em. I like mine RARE.)
Ole Man Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2013, 01:58 PM   #12
Bigdog
somebody shut me the fark up.

A sirloin is a delicious steak but is leaner than cuts such as the ribeye to care must be taken to not overcook it.
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2013, 02:08 PM   #13
Q Junkie
is One Chatty Farker

Crush a garlic clove or two, rub it all over the surface of the meat really good, apply some EVOO, kosher salt and fresh ground pepper, sear the steaks hot hot hot, serve rare to medium rare.

That's the way uh uh I like it.
Q Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2013, 04:09 PM   #14
Pugi
Full Fledged Farker

Ou poivre, I made some last night out of chuck steak, its a good way to give the lesser piece of meats a little more flavor. Plus the sauce is awesome!
Pugi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2013, 05:25 PM   #15
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

A high end choice sirloin is going to be much nicer than a low end select sirloin. Most of the stuff you see in decent steak houses is going to be at the high end of choice or better grade.

This is why you can sometimes find a great sirloin in a steak house. The stuff you find in your average grocery store is going to be select with hardly any marbling.

Maybe places like Costco, Sam's Club, or high end grocers/meat markets will have better quality sirloins.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote