MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:57 PM   #1
Hozman
Take a breath!

Default First Rib-O-Lator cook

Well it finally showed up and I got it put together. For those wanting a review here it goes, though I have never done one before.

Assembly was easy and the directions were easy to follow. The only issue I found was the picture shows thumb screws keeping the rib-o-lator brackets on the skew and I got regular allen wrench screws, I went and bought 2 thumb screws.

I bought the cordless motor which states will turn 25# of meat. I had 2 racks of ribs and some salmon and it sounded like it was working very hard to keep rotisserie moving.

Big lesson I learned is what ever you are cooking has to fit within the trays. 1 of my racks hung over just ever so slight and it would catch teh other tray as it rotated and it would get caught and flip the food out. After swearing and screaming for a bit, took ribs in with the tray and re sized them. After that it worked great.

The extension ring I bought from Bob can be used for either a WSM or Kettle it is drilled for both and you just flip ring over depending which one you are using. For me I dont like having smoke and heat coming out of the drilled holes that aren't being used so I will cover them up with heat tape since I will only be using this on WSM.

Here are some pics. Also please don't bash me for buying this like some did in an earlier thread. I bought this because I wanted to and thought it would be a nice tool in the tool box. Some are very quick on here to insult or degrade someone for trying or buying something that they wouldn't.

http://s273.beta.photobucket.com/use...7;201st%20cook

Last edited by Hozman; 01-04-2013 at 10:15 PM..
Hozman is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 01-04-2013, 10:03 PM   #2
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Was it good? I'm not on farkbook, so I can't read the content.

***Edit***

I can see the Photobucket page now - looks good! I got the Ribolator this summer and I really like it - it really expands the capacity of a 22.5 kettle. A good weapon to have in the arsenal!
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?

Last edited by gtr; 01-04-2013 at 10:36 PM..
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2013, 11:35 AM   #3
SmokeWatcher
is one Smokin' Farker

Love mine!

Old 01-05-2013, 11:46 AM   #4
JONESY
is one Smokin' Farker

No way I'd bash you on a ROL purchase, I love mine. The dual extension ring is designed to be flipped over when going from WSM to Kettle. As for the motor, I have the same one, its noisier than hell but batteries last forever and mine has been spinning anything I can fit for almost a year. There is definitely a little learning curve with the ROL but once you figure it out you'll love it. Nice looking grub!

Old 01-05-2013, 11:54 AM   #5
JONESY
is one Smokin' Farker

I just looked at your pics again and you have your slabs on consecutive rack, meaning top and bottom. If you space your slabs across from each other and play with the counterweight, you will greatly reduce the strain on your motor. I bet you noticed that the motor would struggle for half a rev and then make almost no noise, half of the learning curve with a rol is balance.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:51 PM   #6
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hozman View Post
Also please don't bash me for buying this like some did in an earlier thread. I bought this because I wanted to and thought it would be a nice tool in the tool box. Some are very quick on here to insult or degrade someone for trying or buying something that they wouldn't.
Why this is even a problem is beyond me. If someone wants me to buy the product they endorse rather than the one I want or bought, then they can work and give me the money to pay for it. You work to earn your money; no one should insult you for spending YOUR money the way YOU want. (Except maybe the wife )

The ROL looks great!!

Old 01-05-2013, 01:42 PM   #7
Bluebird
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbassman5 View Post
Why this is even a problem is beyond me. If someone wants me to buy the product they endorse rather than the one I want or bought, then they can work and give me the money to pay for it. You work to earn your money; no one should insult you for spending YOUR money the way YOU want. (Except maybe the wife )

The ROL looks great!!
What he said!

Old 01-05-2013, 02:14 PM   #8
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hozman View Post

Here are some pics. Also please don't bash me for buying this like some did in an earlier thread. I bought this because I wanted to and thought it would be a nice tool in the tool box. Some are very quick on here to insult or degrade someone for trying or buying something that they wouldn't.

http://s273.beta.photobucket.com/use...r%201st%20cook
Fark 'em!

When I first saw them, I thought they were a gimmick, but the more I thought about it, they were something that I knew would add to my outdoor cooking experience. And lucky for me I live near B-O-B!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote