MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:56 AM   #1
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Is there such a thing as "too many knives"?

I've been doing this BBQ thing for a number of years now, with all my friends and family knowing me as a BBQ afficionado and when we are't eating BBQ or otherwise outdoor cooked food the subject of BBQ "comes up" a lot when talking with folks. It's been that way for quite a while now.

So, after several birthday's, Christmas, gifts in general, hand-me-downs, etc...I started wondering...

Is it possible to have too many knives?

This Christmas, I received...at least 7 new knives. Most of which are very nice knives. I love them very much and have already used each of them. I am blessed, and pleased to own them.

However, I have one drawer upstairs that is full of only knives. I often wonder how I am able to stick my hand in there to remove a knife and still keep all of my fingers. I also block access to that drawer witl a rolling cart/cutting board so as to keep any young hands out of there.

I also have two full knife blocks upstairs on the kitchen counter, each filled with an array of razor sharp implements.

Down in the garage, sitting among all of the comp BBQ stuff (which I still own even though I don't compete regularly) is a large portable tool box which was originally intended to tote most of my smaller BBQ things like thermo's, knives, probes, measuring cups/spoons, various other utensils and such, but actually now holds more knives than anything else, oddly enough.

Then there is my cooking area outside, where I have a cart and inside are several cheapy (yet razor sharp) knives that I pick up from the butcher. I don't care too much if anything happens to them as they aer discarded knives the butcher used and have been sharpened down to their last reasonable uses, but they are still excellent knives and I get them for $6 a pop.

So I got to wondering....

Do I have to many knives?

If I stopped washing knives, I could probably go for a week or three before I ran out, and I don't think I could fit all of those dirty knives even in both sides of my kitchen sink!

I knwo we all have a billion and a half cookers in our signatures, and claim there can never be too many. I am guessing knives are the same way? Do you have too many knives?

Your turn.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2013, 11:59 AM   #2
deguerre

No. Now shut up and go away.

Next!
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2013, 12:01 PM   #3
Militant83
is one Smokin' Farker

I say no you cant have too many. But you are always going to have your go to knives out of your collection that will be used more than others so the rest kind of get put by the wayside.

I have plenty of knives and only use probebly 4 of them...haha but when I need that specialty knife it is there.

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-02-2013, 12:02 PM   #4
Offthehook
is One Chatty Farker

I prefer quality over quantity, with that being said I own about 20 knives and many of the same type.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:08 PM   #5
bigabyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offthehook View Post
I prefer quality over quantity, with that being said I own about 20 knives and many of the same type.
Ditto. I probably should have mentioned that one knife block is Henckel's, but in the drawer and the toolbox are my primary go to Wusthof's! Although, I must admit, those cheapy $6 knives from the butcher give even those a run for the money while still new. I do not sharpen anything other than the good knives though. Everything else is basically disposable.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?

Duh.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:10 PM   #6
Offthehook
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
Ditto. I probably should have mentioned that one knife block is Henckel's, but in the drawer and the toolbox are my primary go to Wusthof's! Although, I must admit, those cheapy $6 knives from the butcher give even those a run for the money while still new. I do not sharpen anything other than the good knives though. Everything else is basically disposable.
I like having some cheapy knives around when I have people over cooking. I keep them sharp but they are the ones I toss into the dishwasher and back into the drawer.

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #7
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

I'd recommend one of these. It's the biggest one we could find at the time. It would be full if there weren't a couple knives always being used. When you get this filled up, then come back and whine.

(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2013, 12:18 PM   #8
bigabyte

Thanks! I am ordering that now! However, I think the two knife blocks I own now will fill that up...or mostly....

OK, I counted...and that is actualy going to accept all knives from both blocks AND 10 more from the drawer!!! I can jsut put whatever is left in one or both of the old blocks.

This place is awesome!

Now, can someone start a thread about counter space for all these farking knive blocks, and whether or not there is such a thing as "too many knife blocks"?

Duh.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:23 PM   #9
deguerre

No. Lather, rinse, repeat...

Next!
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog

Old 01-02-2013, 12:26 PM   #10
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts

Quote:
[blah, blah, blah]
Now, can someone start a thread about counter space for all these farking knive blocks, and whether or not there is such a thing as "too many knife blocks"?
I told you not to whine until you filled that up. I know it's not filled up because you haven't even ordered it yet.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:32 PM   #11
bigabyte

Hmmm....this one was listed in the "Also Viewed" section...

...it swivels...

...and it has the name of my favorite NFL team on it!

Farking decisions!

Duh.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:33 PM   #12
Offthehook
is One Chatty Farker

I use a kapoosh for the knives on the counter. Some stay in the drawer and my nice ones are layed out

Old 01-02-2013, 12:42 PM   #13
Gore
Phizzy

Quote:
Hmmm....this one was listed in the "Also Viewed" section...

...it swivels...

...and it has the name of my favorite NFL team on it!

Farking decisions!
Wow, the slots are identical except the scissors slot on the lower right is upside down. I'm not a fan of swivels. I was concerned about the cherry finish -- sometimes they're not well applied and can come off in parts, but we've had ours for at least 5 years and there is not a mark on it. That NFL team logo is a big feature. I wonder why they don't have any other teams.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:44 PM   #14
Jaskew82
is One Chatty Farker

bigabyte... I will take some of them off your hands! I need a new set.

2013 Stumps Classic - Delivered 4/15/13
Large BGE - Rescued 2012
2010 WSM 22.5"
2010 Weber genesis gas grill
Rescued 22.5 Weber One-touch gold
Yellow Thermopen
BBQ Guru CyberQ
2011 Built UDS - Retired
Jaskew82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2013, 12:47 PM   #15
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
. I wonder why they don't have any other teams.
Like you've NEVER seen "Highlander"...