The Rookie has some QUESTIONS:

TexasGuppie

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
1. Source for good lump charcoal (not pieces of burned up rocking chairs, floor plank remnants and the like.) I live in Ft. Worth.
2. A good source for buying cooking wood other than in 50# bags at Albertson's. I still live in Ft. Worth.
3. What is a FATTY? Should I move away from Ft. Worth?

Ken (probably embarrassed himself with that last one.)

Ken
Check the thread called "RoadMap" at the top of Qtalk for Fatty threads (1# breakfast chubs from Johnsonville, Jimmy Dean, etc.) Also search "fatties" for some interesting experiments. Try Armadillo Eggs while your at it.

Wood: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6941&highlight=make+friends+tree+man

Lump: Search out a Restaurant Supply store. Sometimes they are a good source for lump (sometimes)

Ft. Worth: Can't help you there. You should try my Frito Pie I invented here in IL :)

Fort Worth Man thats Gods Country In Laws in Cleburn
I would move there in a min. but kids and Biz so Im here
Local questions could be answered at
www.texasbbqrub.com

TexasGuppie said:
1. Source for good lump charcoal (not pieces of burned up rocking chairs, floor plank remnants and the like.) I live in Ft. Worth.
2. A good source for buying cooking wood other than in 50# bags at Albertson's. I still live in Ft. Worth.

If I lived up there I would go to the source:

http://www.txsmoke.com/

They are not too far from you in Ennis. 50lbs for $9.00 for Mesquite and Hickory logs. I pay over double that here at HEB or Academy. They have lump also. Of course I am sure there are better and cheaper, but these are kiln-dried and ready to use.

A fattie is a 1 or 2 lb breakfast sausage such as Jimmie Deam smoked in a smoker. Have to try it, tastes great!

Arnold Brothers in Irving at Beltline & Rock Island. Mountains of wood. Hickory, pecan, oak & mesquite.

Us DFW folks are meeting up at North Main BBQ in Euless March 11 about noon. Stop on in.

Ty

Ken, if you want to use Lump Mesquite call Martin Prefered Foods out of Dallas....they sell 40 # bags of Lazzaro made in Mexico...100% pure wood...no fillers or rockin chairs. I have not found any other source for lump for the price..11.00 per bag. Martins also sells ribs, Brisket, chicken and anything else you can think of...they are a resturant supplier....ifin you like Mesquite...works well for Fajitas and steaks on the grill and is a good coal base and heat souce for your pit. If you get some be sure and burn it down till all is white and glowing embers. Makes a HOT fire. I live in Haltom City and use it often. The number to them is 214-565-0243 ask for Marvin and tell him "Charcoal Man" sent ya.

wishinfishin said:
Ken, if you want to use Lump Mesquite call Martin Prefered Foods out of Dallas....they sell 40 # bags of Lazzaro made in Mexico...100% pure wood...no fillers or rockin chairs. I have not found any other source for lump for the price..11.00 per bag. Martins also sells ribs, Brisket, chicken and anything else you can think of...they are a resturant supplier....ifin you like Mesquite...works well for Fajitas and steaks on the grill and is a good coal base and heat souce for your pit. If you get some be sure and burn it down till all is white and glowing embers. Makes a HOT fire. I live in Haltom City and use it often. The number to them is 214-565-0243 ask for Marvin and tell him "Charcoal Man" sent ya.

Being a Restruant Supplier do they sale to Plain Ole McKinney folks ?

Should be easy to find Jorge will be on the corner in his boxers with a Big Sign. :eek:

brdbbq said:
Should be easy to find Jorge will be on the corner in his boxers with a Big Sign. :eek:
won't that be like looking for the invisible man?

jgh1204 said:
That Big John's wood looks like the stuff from academy for $9.99/bag.

It is. They supply most Academy stores, Albertson's, and a lot of Home Depots that I've seen.

Just bought a 14" Lodge cast iron skillet for $10. The guy threw in a bag of Big Johns Hickory & a bag of Pecan. I've used before, not sure of price difference from Arnold Brothers?

BRDBBQ, yeppers...they sell to whoever will pay em...They don't take credit cards though....cash or check. Give ole Marvin a holler..he'll fix you up!!

I'll see what the cook-off schedule looks like for the 11th of March and let ya'll know....Anybody cooking this weekend at the VFW in Irving?

wishinfishin said:
I'll see what the cook-off schedule looks like for the 11th of March and let ya'll know....Anybody cooking this weekend at the VFW in Irving?

Nope, and can't make it to West for Chili on Sunday neither:cry:

TexasGuppie said:

Don't be embarassed, we all learned this stuff at one time or another.

Thanks for the help!

I appreciate the advice. If the listed recommendations are true, I'll be savin' a ton 'o dough on lump and wood.
I'll make a deal with any and all takers: I'm sincere about this hobby and would love to just tag along with someone more experienced to a contest, weekend cook, etc. just to learn how to be a little better.
Heck, I can watch the fire while ya sleep, be your wood lumper, rub the briskets, take out the garbage, polish the truck, feed the dawgs, etc. for the chance to learn more and ultimately get more enjoyment out of this (if that's even possible!) than I currently am.
I really am consumed by BBQ. It's the thing I think the second-most about (my wife knows the FIRST and she would get mad if I shared that here!) Okay, okay...I'll tell you what that first thing is...I read BBQ cookbooks at night.:redface:

Thanks again,

Ken (the Mrs. wonders if I'll ever quit mentioning my pet name for the smoker in my sleep.)

"I'll make a deal with any and all takers: I'm sincere about this hobby and would love to just tag along with someone more experienced to a contest, weekend cook, etc. just to learn how to be a little better.
Heck, I can watch the fire while ya sleep, be your wood lumper, rub the briskets, take out the garbage, polish the truck, feed the dawgs, etc. for the chance to learn more and ultimately get more enjoyment out of this (if that's even possible!) than I currently am."

Ken,
I really hope you can do that!
I have "washed dishes" twice for Championship caliber cooks.
Learned so much about how to cook and how to win that it was worth every mile, every hour, and every $ spent.
Keep yourself available and hook up with any team that will let ya play for the weekend.
You will learn a lot, not only what to do, but what not to do.

Good luck.

TIM

Back