• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

cow's head on a UDS.....

snook806

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I was shopping at my local H-E-B and as I passed by the meat section, I saw the fresh cow heads. The warden loves barbacoa (as she grew up eating barbacoa every Sunday) and she has been asking me to try and make the whole head but since I have never tried to cook one I have been hesitant until today. The head weighed 18 pounds and everything was still attached...and I mean EVERYTHING....the eye balls, brains, cheeks, and even the farking teeth are still there. I have eaten all the parts of the cow head and they are DELICIOUS with corn tortillas and homemade salsa but I have never cooked an entire head at once. Warden took pics while I seasoned it up with texasbbqrub and a little extra salt and pepper. I loaded the UDS with a 13lb bag of kingsford and connected the iQue set at 225. I wanted to put it on earlier but got called into work so it just went on at 2:00 am. Not sure how long I need to leave it on so any input would be greatly appreciated..I will post an update with pics later on in the day....:thumb::thumb:

IMAG0368.jpg

IMAG0372.jpg

IMAG0374.jpg

Alright, I'm looking forward to the after photo's.

Usually a beef head is wrapped and cooked in the ground, but I've seen write-ups that used an oven or a big pit. Most folks used the foil hotel pans or an aluminum turkey roasting pan as support for the foil pouch. I saw one where they used a second hotel pan as the lid. Did you by chance take the tongue out?

I do know the ones cooked in the ground can go up to 24 hours or longer, so I would expect yours to take a good long while.... Looks like breakfast on Monday will be pretty good at your place.

This is going tip be a good one
Can't wait for the end results
I'll take an eyeball and some brains please

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2

Wow, haven't seen this done yet except on tv. Looking forward to seeing the finished results and hear how it tastes. I am not sure if I would be brave enough to try it :)

wondering that as im planning to cook one and most recipies say boil the chit out of it before smoking

Yeah, cooking with the tongue in can cause an off flavor. Usually they cook the tongue in a separate foil pouch and mix the meat back in to the other meat when it's all done.

If you are just buying a tongue,... simmering it allows you to skin it easier. Then you can smoke it, braise it or whatever to finish it off.

Con Madre Snook;

Will be following this thread from Mission, I've never done "barbacoa de cabeza" on my UDS, but have done it from chivo, probably 8-10 hs.

Saludos

JV

I will be watchin....just about to put butt on my uds....how much $$$$ didja fork up?...be fun to freak out the neighbor kids even more than Ive done....hehehehe

the head was only $22.00....not bad for all that meat....

Back