How much room do you expect at a comp?

M

Maddog's

No, I'm serious. From your experiences, how much room are you NORMALLY granted at a competition? 10x20, 20x20, 15x20, more, less, what?
Are RV accomodations (hookups for water and/or sewer and/or electricity) available be they just space or the hookups, as well?
Yes. I understand that "It depends" is a common answer to these questions but what do you NORMALLY get where you compete, on average? Or what do your organizers shoot for?
Furthermore, what have you come to expect in terms of infrastructure support and by that I mean for your comp booth: Electricity? Water? Ash dump? Grease dump? Grey water dump? Wash facilities? Toilets? Showers? Massages? OK well, but seriously...
How many of your comps organize pot luck dinners on cook night?
What are you used to paying for entry?
What do you normally expect from that fee? (Do you normally get meat or other supplies from the hosts, organizers or sponsors?) On average?
And finally, the total prize fund, what have you come to expect?
I am a very active member of the PNWBA and I think they do one helluva good job with comps!!! But I don't get out much to other association sanctioned comps or other geographic areas and I wonder what the norm is where YOU compete. Thanks, in advance, for your feedback!

In Arizona, we "normally" see 20' x 20' spaces as the standard size space in our area. Sometimes there is a charge for extra space and sometimes the venue is very large and can accommodate larger set-up/RVs with no extra charge. Power is "normally" available and is usually included in the entry fee but sometimes there is a $50 extra charge for it.

Ash, gray water and trash disposal are usually on site and sometimes there are folks working at the event who will pick these things up and deliver water & ice too.

Pot luck dinners happen sometimes but not very often.

Entry fees are usually in the $250 to $350 range, depending on the extras, and the prize funds are almost always $10,000 for that size fee.

Vince nailed it 100%. 20x20 is the minimum that we usually needed and 20x30 was a more realistic size. In AZ 2010 it was always expected to have electricity, water, ash dump and ice (available for a price). We have seen a few AZ competitions offer showers (2 out of 10 in 2010 to my knowledge).

Like Vince said, entry fee is a fairly consistent $300 average and payouts hovered right around 10K for the most part in AZ. We've very rarely gotten meat or other supplies (besides the occasional 10-20lb bag of ice) from organizers/promoters. Sometimes, we would get a team goodie bag full of marginally useful stuff.

That's all I can offer.

Usually in Texas, it can be from 25x25 to as much as you need, it just depends on how the promoter is and where its being held. For the most part its about 40x40,

RV hook ups, water and electricity about 30% of the time, never grey or black water dump, and never seen a grease dump at a cook off.

There are several that have pot luck dinners on Friday evening, usually a new cook off trying to get feedback or generate growth.

Entry fee fro $60-150, most of the time that includes nothing but ability to cook, goody bags have just about gone by the way side form yrs back..

I get what I pay for. And, as a cheap-@$$, thats usually the minimum offered, 20X20. Some great contests (Que for the Troops being the most recent) had 20X25 stalls, and it was luxurious!!! But, I have a smaller set up, and could, in a pinch, pull it off in 15X15.

I need 31 feet. sometiems I pay for an extra spot sometimes I pass on the contest. They offer what they want and I decide if they get my business.

I need 30 amp power some give it and sometimes I run the generator. My choice just as it's my choice to go.

I've usually seen pot luick run by the teams. You put effort into making it a better time, it's not all the organizers.

Our event - BBQ @ The Beach, Raystown PA We have standard 20x30 sites with 10amp electricity and water hookups. Larger sites are available and anything more electric wise would need a generator.

We also have gray water dump centrally located, trash pickup, one bag of ice per day, grease dump, ash dump, and we are working to secure local hickory for those who want it. (like we did last year) We have showers and restroom facilities as well as portajohns in the works this year.

Our judges tent doubles as an area for a potluck (3-20x30 tents in a U shape) as well as a late night lake cruise on Friday night which the potluck can be held on.

The open grilling category includes 1lb of burger (i better confirm before I say for sure but we did that last year) as well as a peoples choice pulled pork, we are working to supply 1 butt per team. The prize pool will be similar to last year with custom made trophies

Lots of questions--I'll tackle a couple. :-D

Here in FBA land. 20 X 30 is most common. Sometimes larger.
A couple are less and we just don't go there.

20AMP power is normally within 50' or so, almost always within 100'. Some have 30 AMP or more--bless them. Water availability is the same.
Without that, we pass.

Almost all have grease and ash disposal, or instructions on how to properly dispose of them.
We expect trash pickup at the site unless "dumpsters" are nearby. We will not tote trash a quarter mile while the event staff cruises around in carts. (Pet Peeve)

Entry fees are creeping up. A couple are at $300 and many are $250. Sometimes the purse justifies the fee, sometimes not. A contest near to me (40 Miles) has gone to $275 with a relatively low purse. One nickle higher and we will pass on it and we have gone 5 of the last 6 years. I think this year they drew over $12,000 in entry fees with a purse of around $7500 if I remember correctly. And, we never saw one member of the staff anywhere near to competitors area.

A couple are $200 with a nice purse--we go there for sure!
An entry fee above $250 needs a purse of $10,000 or more or we pass.
We are not going to fund the event with little chance of even a fair return if we cook well that day.

We are getting more events with permanent bathroom facilities. Not necessary, but a real treat.

The short version of all the above:
We do not need to be "coddled" but we need certain things; water, electric, adequate space, and a reasonable balance of fees and purse.
That's just what we expect.

JMHO

TIM

Here in the Mid Atlantic the trend seems to be offer a 20x20 or 20x25 space standard with more space for an additional fee (usually $10 per linear foot). Minimal electrical service is included with that about 75% of the time, bigger service is usually available for an additional fee. (I'm seeing a trend here):evil:

Entry fees here are creeping up here as well - $250 is about average, but when you throw in the site extras it's closer to $350.

Ash and grease dumps are usually standard, trash varies.

As far as awards go - I like to see at least 80% of the entry fees returned as cash prizes. 100% or more if an event has major sponsors.

The most important thing to me is that I know all of this before sending in my entry fee.

What I don't like

+1 to Kaplin's "staff in carts" peeve. If you've got enough money to have a bunch of staff people aimlessly cruising around in carts, why the hell am I lugging water in a 5 gallon bucket or 50 lbs of ice 1/4 mile?

Surprises in the cook's information package
- Tell me before I send in my entry fee that there are significant entry / exit restrictions. additional fees, parking restrictions / HD requirements etc.

Jamming the competitors together when there is no need. If you've got a huge amount of open space why are you limiting the competitors to 20x20's?

Leaving gaps in the rows on early load-in - Not all of us can get there Thursday night. It irks me when I get to your comp and you tell me that my space is in between 2 RV's in the center of two already filled in rows with a 8 fool alley and I have to try and put a 15 foot trailer in there. Fill the sites up sequentially as competitors come in.

One more pet peeve.

If you have an event that often turns into a mud bog (we have at least 2 that I know of), have a tractor or 2 handy to pull us out.
Both of the wet venues do just that and we appreciate it :-D

Minor thing, but important for those of us who do not have 4 wheel drive trucks with mud tires.

TIM

KC is usually blessed with some larger venue spots, but I typically see at least 20 x 25 or 20 x 30. 20 x 30 is fantastic, perfect to let me keep the truck hooked up to the trailer if its a flat spot.

I expect to have some form of electricity included, preferably 20 AMP at a minimum and 30 AMP a big plus (willing to spend the extra for the 30 AMP if its an option, just don't make it crazy), bathrooms at a reasonable distance from each of the competitors, and ash containers. Trash collection is almost a must, or have trash cans near most competitors. A plus is a free bag of ice or two, and for those that charge, a reasonable charge for ice (we've all see the $5 plus small bags of ice at contests, wtf)

At least 20 x 20 with basic water and power suits us well..we have a small set-up...But I DO expect power and water to be included with the basic package...If power is an extra charge, then I usually pass on the contest...

Lots of questions--I'll tackle a couple. :-D

Here in FBA land. 20 X 30 is most common. Sometimes larger.
A couple are less and we just don't go there.

20AMP power is normally within 50' or so, almost always within 100'. Some have 30 AMP or more--bless them. Water availability is the same.
Without that, we pass.

Almost all have grease and ash disposal, or instructions on how to properly dispose of them.
We expect trash pickup at the site unless "dumpsters" are nearby. We will not tote trash a quarter mile while the event staff cruises around in carts. (Pet Peeve)

Entry fees are creeping up. A couple are at $300 and many are $250. Sometimes the purse justifies the fee, sometimes not. A contest near to me (40 Miles) has gone to $275 with a relatively low purse. One nickle higher and we will pass on it and we have gone 5 of the last 6 years. I think this year they drew over $12,000 in entry fees with a purse of around $7500 if I remember correctly. And, we never saw one member of the staff anywhere near to competitors area.

A couple are $200 with a nice purse--we go there for sure!
An entry fee above $250 needs a purse of $10,000 or more or we pass.
We are not going to fund the event with little chance of even a fair return if we cook well that day.

We are getting more events with permanent bathroom facilities. Not necessary, but a real treat.

The short version of all the above:
We do not need to be "coddled" but we need certain things; water, electric, adequate space, and a reasonable balance of fees and purse.
That's just what we expect.

JMHO

TIM

Ditto for me. Thanks for typing it all out Tim. :thumb:

WOW! Thanks for all the info. Keep it coming, if you like. Share your experience and your opinions. I appreciate that greatly. I am about to serve on a strategic planning committee for my association and in looking to the future, I believe we need to establish some standards for such topics as you are all addressing here. Of course, we won't always be able to achieve what we seek but we should know what we shoot for as a standard AND know what is below acceptable minimums in terms of accomodations for comp teams. I don't believe we can do that in a vacuum. That is to say, without looking to see what is standard elsewhere. You are are contributing mightily to that and I appreciate it sincerely. Keep 'em coming!!!

Furthermore, what have you come to expect in terms of infrastructure support and by that I mean for your comp booth: Electricity? Water? Ash dump? Grease dump? Grey water dump? Wash facilities? Toilets? Showers? Massages? OK well, but seriously...
How many of your comps organize pot luck dinners on cook night?
What are you used to paying for entry?
What do you normally expect from that fee? (Do you normally get meat or other supplies from the hosts, organizers or sponsors?) On average?
And finally, the total prize fund, what have you come to expect?

Usually 20x20.

We have a generator, so would prefer to see it not included in the cost. If a team needs it, we would prefer the promoter charge an additional fee to those teams so it is not on our back.

Water at the site? Maybe 3 times in 9 years, but that is virtually impossible. 1 hose for 50 teams, have seen that a few times, if you can at least get one on each end of competition it is nice.

We do not deal with ash, grease and gray water is usually just one, more is always more convenient.

The other items are luxuries that are seldom available at contest we cook. Entries fees have gone from about $150 for $3000 worth of prize money in 2002 when we started to. $250 to $300 for $5000 to $12000 in prize money. We are not consistent enough to support our hobby through winning, so when we do compete, we are going to look for the entry fee Vs pay-out as a motivating factor. Big 1st place meat payout is nice, cuz every once in awhile we get lucky with a 1st or 2nd in meat.

Great thread Pat...I did something similar in a poll format not long ago. Glad to see you and I are on the same page in regards to the organization we cook for. Here is my two cents...

20x20 minumum space (or I ain't cookin')...if I can't put my comp trailer on my spot...I ain't cookin'. If you want us to sample for a charity event...give us meat or re-imburse us for the cost of ours.

Organization and communication is paramount...if it's a load-in...load-out cluster f... I won't be back! We need to know EVERYTHING about the comp ahead of time...

One pet peeve here...keep your mystery meats...I don't cook them!

See ya tommorrow...best to Christine!

WOW! Thanks for all the info. Keep it coming, if you like. Share your experience and your opinions. I appreciate that greatly. I am about to serve on a strategic planning committee for my association and in looking to the future, I believe we need to establish some standards for such topics as you are all addressing here. Of course, we won't always be able to achieve what we seek but we should know what we shoot for as a standard AND know what is below acceptable minimums in terms of accomodations for comp teams. I don't believe we can do that in a vacuum. That is to say, without looking to see what is standard elsewhere. You are are contributing mightily to that and I appreciate it sincerely. Keep 'em coming!!!

Glad to see your group is getting into this mode of thinking.

I understand that our FBA REP's work very closely with the event organizers throughout the planning stage.

I know we have had at least 2 brand new events this year (Marianna and Ocala) that were first rate with very few "kinks" to work out next year.
The other new one (Tallahassee) had several areas that need some work, it was still good, but should be a great contest next year.

It just dawned on me that of the 4 events we have cooked this year, those 3 listed above, were head and shoulders above the other (Dothan), which left a lot to be desired, and Dothan is about 6 years old!!!

Great partnership between the REP's and Organizers, especially with the new contests, IMHO.

TIM

A hint on the cooking space size thing. For many the 20x20 will do, but for the guys with RV's they're mostly going to need 20x40 (give or take a few feet). Have them back-up to one another. That way the guys needing the 20x40 just use 2 spots... One of my favorite comps we end up taking up a 30x60 area, just because we can...

Oh, on the 20x20, I'm assuming you're talking about a sanctioned comp such as KCBS, FBA, etc. This holds true. However, for MBN you'll generally need a larger space, averages being averages. 20x30 is probably the standard for those.

A lot of the RV guys can bring their own water and power (generator), but supplying it is VERY nice. An ice guy here or there is great. I have seen many try to gouge the competitors on ice prices. I wouldn't, it only ticks 'em off.

We expect (and have never returned to a competition that doesn't have this):
Porta Potties, plenty of them scattered around and kept neat/clean (In some of the larger contests we'll rent our own)
Ash & Grease disposal
Ice (available at a reasonable cost, usually delivered by some kid on a golf cart)

The power and water are extra nice for us because we have the RV, but frankly we expect it. I cant think of a competition that we compete in regularly that doesn't have these. Some even provide cable. Sounds funny, but many of our competitions are on Saturday's during football season...

I saw one contest use Hooters' waitresses in the carts delivering ice. As I understand it they made pretty good tips and drank free all Friday night...

Back