MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:05 PM   #16
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by pop's smokin hot que View Post
Thanks for your replies. I cook butts. My pulled pork is ready to use however you like no waste. Just went to Sam's 17.24lb cost $22.07. I would guess you lose 1/3. It takes 10 to 14 hours to cook. Pellet cost when it's cold about $15.00 plus foil pans bags etc. I would guess you end up with about 12 lb of meat. You figure it out.
At that cost, you need to be around the $10/# mark.

I typically figure on a 50% yeild...sort of a built in buffer. Those pellets are expensive! You'll want to figure about 4 times cost. Try to not ever go below 3x cost if you can help it...unless you're doing a favor.

$10 per pound is typical from my area. Where I grew up (just one state away) a pound of bbq will typically be in the $7-$8 range. All areas are different so it's important to know your costs...and market.
Cook is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2011, 04:45 PM   #17
timmy7649
Full Fledged Farker

we charge $8lb for pulled pork or pulled chicken and then $9lb for tri-tip.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:56 PM   #18
atcNick
Knows what a fatty is.

How do you guys factor in sides? I've only seen prices for meat so far.
atcNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 02:43 PM   #19
Whit
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Pop's... I'm charging $8/lb "freinds & family" rate (ever widening circle) and $10/lb for everyone else. Based on what others are getting, I'm thinking it's time to kill the f&f rate. Paying waaay less than that at Restaurant Depot, so this easily covers costs & makes a profit even with wood, seasoning, etc. Pulled pork is pretty darn easy. Should have done that when I was in Texas....
Whit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 03:05 PM   #20
Porky
is One Chatty Farker

Pulled Pork $10 per pound
Weber OTG Walnut handle from Marty Leach
KCBS #20486,FBA certified Master judge,IMBAS (MOINK BALL) Certified

Like what you do. Do what you like.
Porky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:12 PM   #21
bloqbeta
Found some matches.

In Guatemala, 8-10 dollars per pound but no competitors. Depends on quantity catered.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:27 PM   #22
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Long Island NY $20 pound, includes property taxes for spot where cooker is located
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 05-20-2011, 04:37 PM   #23
mcoupe
On the road to being a farker

I guess I undercharge... I charge my co workers/friends double the meat price. This is about 25$ for a 5 lb'r. I'm not sure that they would pay 9 $ a lb. But you guys say thats what your getting huh?
mcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:46 PM   #24
ChicagoSizzlin
Full Fledged Farker

$10 cooked weight and pulled. Like Dive I offer a discount if they want to pull it themselves but I havent had any takers yet either.

Proud Owner of a UDS & UDG

My UDG - Ugly Drum Grill

Member of the Drumhead Club
ChicagoSizzlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:29 AM   #25
MattG
is One Chatty Farker

I get $9.00 per lb.

Check us out on Facebook
[url]http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pots-BBQ/107610505962113[/url]
MattG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:42 PM   #26
Cook
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoupe View Post
I guess I undercharge... I charge my co workers/friends double the meat price. This is about 25$ for a 5 lb'r. I'm not sure that they would pay 9 $ a lb. But you guys say thats what your getting huh?
I'm going to guess that you're charging about $25 for a raw 5# piece of meat...before cooking it.

If that's the case, you're actually ending up with about 2.5# of meat in the end. That $25 for 5# ($5/pound) just turned into $10/pound.

That $9 scenario doesn't seem so out of reason now, does it?

When people price pork by the pound they are doing so with cooked meat weights not raw meat weights.

I would expect more from a guy that drives an ///M.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:57 AM   #27
thenewguy
Full Fledged Farker

$10 per lb here.
thenewguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:44 AM   #28
Crash
is One Chatty Farker

Out here we are paying 1.99/lb bone-in/lb. That's basically the best price for us due to our location circumstances.

What do ya'll think that would translate to in cooked pork/lb pricing...assuming we're also paying for wood/charcoal, injections, rubs, foil, half/fullpans etc.

Initially, I was thinking 11-12$/lb would work. Now I am second guessing that #.

Oh yeah, vending only.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:16 PM   #29
Cook
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
Out here we are paying 1.99/lb bone-in/lb. That's basically the best price for us due to our location circumstances.

What do ya'll think that would translate to in cooked pork/lb pricing...assuming we're also paying for wood/charcoal, injections, rubs, foil, half/fullpans etc.

Initially, I was thinking 11-12$/lb would work. Now I am second guessing that #.

Oh yeah, vending only.
$12 would work for "minimum" food costing...and that is mainland pricing. I know the COL is higher where you are. Somewhere between $12-$16 will put you in the money.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:22 AM   #30
bighawkfan
Found some matches.

I get $12 a pound for all smoked and packaged pork, beef or chicken breast. Comes with sauce. If somebody buys a package of better buns at the store and 2 pounds of pork, they can make 8 sammies. This is far less than the $40 min., that they would pay for those same items separately.
bighawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote