MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > For the Board

Notices

For the Board *On Topic Only* Strictly moderated. NO BAD KARMA! This forum is for questions and discussions you would like reviewed by members of the KCBS(or other BBQ orgs) Board of Directors. A clean and direct place where they do not have to wade thru day to day chatter.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:49 AM   #76
BogsBBQ
On the road to being a farker

This post contains my own personal views, and does not represent any organization whatsoever.

Here are some things to think about:

1) The Board members of any organization should not be arguing/fighting in public. It is unprofessional and has a negative impact on the entire Board. If there are arguments to be had, have them in private. After you have the argument: get over it, act like adults, and keep in mind that you are all there to serve the organization/membership.

2) Everyone should understand that any organization that grows from a being very small to very large is going to experience some growing pains. For this reason, I try to cut people some slack and I realize that mistakes are going to be made. But when I see people being fired without cause and people completely abandoning an organization (whether forced out or not), it makes me wonder what the heck is going on. And multiple times in the recent past? It also makes me wonder if there are certain personalities on the board that are just impossible to get along with and/or there are personal agendas in the mix.

3) I agree with G$. You can be part of other organizations that may be a better fit with your own personal views on what a barbecue organization should be...how it should be run, what the real objectives are, etc. The wheel doesn't need to be totally reinvented. I voted for change in every election since becoming a member. Nothing has changed, as far as I can tell. How long should I keep voting...and keep waiting? As long as people keep voting for the familiar names they see on the ballots, nothing will change. I know first-hand about the frustration people are experiencing.

Jared
BogsBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2010, 11:50 AM   #77
moocow
is One Chatty Farker

How many of you have emailed the entire board on an issue? I have done it three times and all three and all three I have gotten a favorable outcome. I not saying this works every time but when someone gets a lot of respectful and intelligent emails from the members I would tend to think they will listen. They my not agree but at least they know there is a concern. In the long run it may make no deference but at least you can say you tried to do something about it.
-[URL="http://www.moocowbbq.com"]www.moocowbbq.com[/URL]-
-Home of the Make it Take it Drum Class-
-kCBS/ CBJ-
- Stoker powered stainless steel cabinet smoker-Mini & 3 Regular UDS-[B][COLOR=Blue]BLUE [/COLOR][/B]Weber OTG-Saffire ceramic grill-26" plow disc-Green mountain pellet -16' Stealth Competition trailer-
moocow is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 05-14-2010, 12:39 PM   #78
Hershey BBQ Guy
Got Wood.

Default Very Sad....

Very sad to hear about Linda's decision to resign... but I am sure she had good reasons for her decision. It is also sad to hear that both she and Jerry will no longer be Reps.

I still have fond memories of my KCBS CBJ class that they taught and the laughs that we had. I have enjoyed working with them at comps and wish them all the best going forward.

Now I MUST make a road trip to Pig Daddy's!
Old 05-14-2010, 12:42 PM   #79
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacked UP BBQ View Post
On a level of how does this entire thing really affect you???????? Me, it doesn't. I use the KCBS for what it is. It is a governing body of BBQ comps, thats all. To get all worked up about stuff that goes on in a board room about stuff that will not tamper with your personal life is stupid. I am not sure why anyone would even want to be on the board, you will never make everyone happy and all you will do is make more enemies then friends. My take on the entire thing is let them do what they do and continue on with your life. There were BBQ comps before the KCBS and there will be after if something were to happen. Stick with BBQ for what it is, not for politics and nonsense.
At this point, maybe it doesn't effect you. Who's to say that at some point in the future it won't get to a point where it does? Some people are just more interested in making OUR organization a great organization I guess. And KCBS means more to me than to have that kind of attitude about it. I guess if you understand where it all came from, it is more meaningful. That's why many people are up in arms over the bullchit going on now...
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 01:03 PM   #80
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC View Post
At this point, maybe it doesn't effect you. Who's to say that at some point in the future it won't get to a point where it does? Some people are just more interested in making OUR organization a great organization I guess. And KCBS means more to me than to have that kind of attitude about it. I guess if you understand where it all came from, it is more meaningful. That's why many people are up in arms over the bullchit going on now...
Just give me one example how it could affect me? I think a lot of this is over thought. I don't have a negative attitude about it, but it is just an organization led by volunteers. Where did it come from that would make me more understanding. As far as I am concerned it doesn't matter where you are from, it is where you are at. Things grow and change, some people cannot accept it. As far as the fights go, PATHETIC!

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 01:26 PM   #81
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Just give me one example how it could affect me?
You never know they might outlaw Wasabi Cream sauce ribs
YankeeBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 05-14-2010, 01:35 PM   #82
dreed
Full Fledged Farker

I nominate Matt for the next BOD seat.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:37 PM   #83
butt head
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Just give me one example how it could affect me? I think a lot of this is over thought. I don't have a negative attitude about it, but it is just an organization led by volunteers. Where did it come from that would make me more understanding. As far as I am concerned it doesn't matter where you are from, it is where you are at. Things grow and change, some people cannot accept it. As far as the fights go, PATHETIC!
how about most of the contest that you enter are sanctioned by KCBS and with out that you may not get the payouts that are their now

meadow creek ts250- w/ 42 chicken cooker
butt head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 01:41 PM   #84
BogsBBQ

I think an organization can be as little or as much as you want it to be. And a member can also choose to be heavily involved in it or not involved at all. Bad decisions, mistakes, and BS in general on the part of the organization tends to get people more involved and want change. Others don't care and have no desire to get involved in something they feel doesn't really affect them. I'm not saying one is right and one is wrong...just a matter of personal choice.

Jared
BogsBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 01:49 PM   #85
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by butt head View Post
how about most of the contest that you enter are sanctioned by KCBS and with out that you may not get the payouts that are their now
Not sure I understand what the KCBS has to do with organizers getting sponsors for payouts and collecting money for entry fees to put in the prize pool? If you are sayng that people enter contests because they are sanctioned, it seems to me that eveyone hates the KCBS so you won't see people entering anyway. KCBS wasn't the first astronaut on the moon, they have a base organization that runs BBQ comps, no harder then a local little league running a rec baseball program. There are plenty of brains out there that can take the idea and run with it.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 02:05 PM   #86
butt head
is one Smokin' Farker

good point, but look at maba they have been trying for several years to grow and sanction more but without the support of the members it is not happening like thay want

meadow creek ts250- w/ 42 chicken cooker
butt head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 02:32 PM   #87
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Not sure I understand what the KCBS has to do with organizers getting sponsors for payouts and collecting money for entry fees to put in the prize pool? If you are sayng that people enter contests because they are sanctioned, it seems to me that eveyone hates the KCBS so you won't see people entering anyway. KCBS wasn't the first astronaut on the moon, they have a base organization that runs BBQ comps, no harder then a local little league running a rec baseball program. There are plenty of brains out there that can take the idea and run with it.
I think a prime example of it is the problems we as competitors found with the Dells. It wasn't until KCBS & the BOD got involved that the whole money thing was cleaned up.
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 05-14-2010, 04:25 PM   #88
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Bingo - it's some protection for the cooks. Look at how few contests have had a problem with payouts since 2004 when the BOD voted in soem teeth to sanctioning.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:25 PM   #89
chopshop

Quote:
THATS IT!!! everyone needs to go and talk to the head of our local little leagues. We could have them run it and i agree with 3 men and a baby back, MATT FOR PRESIDENT. I'll be the treasurer!
Old 05-14-2010, 05:21 PM   #90
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC View Post
Why reinvent the wheel though? There's no reason that, with proper leadership, that KCBS cannot meet the needs of everyone in all parts of the country.
I guess the question then is how long are you going to keep hoping that things will be fixed?

If you are not happy with certain aspects of the KCBS, how long will you attempt to enact change to no avail before you step away?

I think that the larger question is, why do we need a sanctioning body? They lend credibility to new events, but if an organizer has run the same event well for 4 or 5 years I would believe that the competitors and judges would have respect that track record regardless of sanctioning (or lack thereof).

You don't need any sanctioning body to have an event be qualified for the invitationals. You can create a spreadsheet for scoring. You can make judges slips at Kinko's.

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote