MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-26-2009, 01:41 PM   #1
nolaman
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Spatchcock,Brined Chicken

My first time doing chickens this way. The weather is in the toilet, again this weekend..Don't want another episode like last week, trying to smoke a butt in the rain! We want to eat TODAY, so I'm gonna roast em in da oven! My question is by preparing the chickens this way does it change the cooking any different than normal roasting? The chickens weighed 4 1/2 lbs. each. At what temp. should the oven be? I'm thinking 350* for 1 hr. , does this seem appropiate and what internal temp.do you think it should be? Where's the best place to check , breast or thigh?

Old 09-26-2009, 02:07 PM   #2
Markbb
is Blowin Smoke!

Everything sounds about right and check in the thigh....I pull my chicken a 165 thigh temp. I think it's moister that way...make sure you read the meat temp and not the bone temp..
Markbb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2009, 02:10 PM   #3
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Yep, what Mark said.

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2009, 02:21 PM   #4
SirPorkaLot
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolaman View Post
trying to smoke a butt in the rain!
I feel ya!
smoking a butt in the rain as we speak

Old 09-26-2009, 03:19 PM   #5
maxwell7
Full Fledged Farker

Default spatchcock,brined chicken

Ok! Spatchcock I know , Ive done several.You're losing me on "brind".What do you do with a brine? Sorry, I'm lost about that.
maxwell7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2009, 03:38 PM   #6
nolaman
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell7 View Post
Ok! Spatchcock I know , Ive done several.You're losing me on "brind".What do you do with a brine? Sorry, I'm lost about that.
Soaked chicken overnight in a seasoned, salt water solution "Brine".
nolaman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2009, 06:28 PM   #7
maxwell7
Full Fledged Farker

Default brine chicken

Is there a recipe for the brine? Is it designed to " flavor " it , or some other purpose.? I hate being so ignorant , I've just never heard of that. I'm aware of doing that with squirel and maybe rabbit , but not chicken.
maxwell7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2009, 11:22 PM   #8
nolaman
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell7 View Post
Is there a recipe for the brine? Is it designed to " flavor " it , or some other purpose.? I hate being so ignorant , I've just never heard of that. I'm aware of doing that with squirel and maybe rabbit , but not chicken.
You can go to the bottom of this page to the google custom search bar,type in: chicken brine recipe. sfbbqguy posted a site I found helpful http://www.cookshack.com/brining-101#To528293329 I customized a recipe to suit my own needs. My son is visiting with us, is a diabetic so I omitted the sugar, and used a 50/50 mix of apple juice, and water. I cut the gallon recipe in 1/2. A quart in each gallon size ziplock,squeezing the air out was enough to cover the chicken. I marinaded the birds overnight, about 15 hrs. Drained, rinsed throughly,patted dry. placed in a pan, put back in the fridge to dry out the skin, about 4 hrs. Couldn't grill or smoke.Rained all day. Roasted in the oven. The meat was moist, tender, full of flavor. My only objection, I found the skin a little rubbery. Perhaps I need to let it dry longer.I will definetly try this again!!