I need a new Rib rub & Sauce. Recommendations?

BoLiles

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So, I did some baby backs last weekend and used my usual homemade rub recipe (applied w/ a little olive oil), smoked, then wrapped and then finished with some homemade glaze/thin sauce over stoked coals w/ the water pan removed ala Rendevous style.

My wife said she liked the texture, but I wasn't pleased with the rub and sauce. I guess I am bored with my own creation - which has been my go-to for pork for a couple of years.

So, I am open to recommendations! I cook here in TX, so I like fairly simple rubs but I do like a bit of a sweeter glaze.

I hope you guys can inspire me to some new directions!

Here is a rub that is real good on Ribs

• 1 1/2 tablespoons garlic powder
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 tablespoon dry mustard
  • 1 tablespoon paprika
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons no-salt lemon pepper
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground red pepper
Apple Honey BBQ Sauce
1 large apple chopped
1/2 small onion chopped
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup - light brown sugar
1 TBS Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup Apple cider vinegar
2 TBS molasses
3 Tbl Fresh Lemon juice
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
*1garlic clove
1 1/2 tblsp paprika

Process in blender on high 3 min simmer to desired thickness on low heat

Whenever I'm in the mood for a sweeter sauce, I make some apple butter bbq sauce. I use 2-3 parts Sweet Baby Rays mixed with 1 part apple butter. Goes great on ribs or brushed on brined and smoked chicken thighs durring the last 10-15 mins or so.

Thanks! I will be experimenting next week for sure - sounds like the apple butter sauce on smoked pork chops would be fantastic!

If you are looking for a good commercial glaze that is sweet I recommend Blues Hog. I like all of their products except for the honey mustard bbq sauce (but I don't really like honey mustard so there you go, I'm sure some people love it). You don't need much, it is pretty darn thick and tasty. It is a little more expensive than the national chain brands, but it goes so much farther it all equals out. Really good stuff. If you like a thinner sauce their Tennessee Red is great, or if you are looking for a smokier flavor, they make a Smokey Mountain bbq sauce that is really the only bbq sauce I have ever tasted that utilizes some form of liquid smoke that is a great sauce (I almost always hate the fake smoke, but that sauce is seriously good).

I like the tin foil hat rub that Biggie came up with some time ago. A Brethren sent me some in the mail, I had never made any on my own before that point, and I was hooked.
Last time I made ribs I used some Plowboy's and was pleased with that as well. Haven't made any ribs since then though.

Back