Lone Star 24 x 40 or 48 owners....

IFlyEm

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Looking at the LSG 24 x 40 or 48 with the following options:

- Single Door (debating on counter weight) - 48"
- 1/4" Firebox non-insulated being that it will be in SoCal.
- 8" Casters
- Folding Stainless Steel Tray
- 2 x Tel Tru Guages
- Ash Pan
- Ball Valve Drain
- Pull Handle
- 2 x Probe Ports

A couple things. I see a lot of people recommending LSG but not too much on the 24 x 40/48. I would love to hear peoples experience with them. As well as options worth having and ones not.

How does the internal water retention work? Any rusting issues?

I read a post that indicated the tuning plates tend to make the cooking chamber run hot?

Anyone 40" owners regret not getting the 48? Is the extra 8" worth the $580 extra on the 48?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

This may or not help you make decisions. Here's my traditional 20x42 Klose, no tuning plates. That tan discolored area on the right 1/3 of the pit is where the heat pours out of the firebox. That water in that aluminum pan BOILS. You can't put any food there. It would get burned to a crisp. So what these builders do is sell you "tuning plates" to fight the poor design issues. So you put the plates in. You now just killed all the wonderful convection trying to block the heat and you're cooking with radiant heat. So why bother even getting a traditional flow? You're now baking. This is why I went on that rant against these types of smokers in the other thread. I'd never buy one of these types again. Too much wasted space, and the "tuning plate" solution to the poor design kills the convection.

My next backyard smoker will be top flow or reverse flow.

1z2hv7l.jpg

I would 100% never have the firebox grill grate. Its worthless.
Probe ports not needed either. You can get them if you want, but not needed. The times I did use probes I just ran them under the door lid. It was none issue.
Ball valve drain yes I would get.
and Tel Tru gauges.

Last edited:

- 8" Casters
- 2 x Tel Tru Guages
- Ash Pan
- Ball Valve Drain
- Pull Handle
- 2 x Probe Ports

A couple things. I see a lot of people recommending LSG but not too much on the 24 x 40/48. I would love to hear peoples experience with them. As well as options worth having and ones not.

I read a post that indicated the tuning plates tend to make the cooking chamber run hot?

Anyone 40" owners regret not getting the 48? Is the extra 8" worth the $580 extra on the 48?

Thanks!

I got the 40 with every option you have listed except for the stainless tray. My only regrets about my purchase are not getting the 48 or even larger, and the stainless tray lol. But, no biggie, I still really enjoy cooking on it and my family and friends love the food it cooks!

I don't run water so cant help you there but I personally couldn't get the tuning plates to make the pit do what I wanted it to do, I was always battling to keep the temps down on the exhaust side. No matter where I put the plates or the spacing (yes, i followed Chris instructions) it always ran hot on exhaust end unless all the plates where down on that end. I would end up with hot right by the fire box, cooler temps in the middle and hot on the exhaust end even after hours of cooking. I like running with the intake as open as possible to keep a clean fire, and with how hard that exhaust pulls it was just pulling that heat to the exhaust end too fast. Maybe on the larger pits this effect is negated?? Probably some user error in there somewhere too, but I spent many hours and splits messing with them trying to figure them out. After some tinkering with a homemade baffle, I got it running with no tuning plates and 6-8 degree difference from fire box end to the now slightly cooler exhaust end, and thats what i was going for.

All in all, the craftsmanship of the pit is exceptional and the people at LSG are great to work with. I would recommend them to anyone!

I wouldn’t buy an offset that relies on tuning plates. Since I don’t like the new LSG designs and their older ones utilize tuning plates, that would rule them out for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weird that you never hear this much negativity about tuning plates. I don't think LSG is behind the times. More of a design preference maybe?

My old Smokemaster that was built in the 80's had the same firebox design as the LSG but used an angled plate in the opening of the cook chamber. That plate forced smoke up and over the plate and under the plate. The smoke that went under directly hit a 2 piece plate with big holes that ran along the whole cook chamber. Also had a grate level exhaust. That thing ran within 5 degrees across the whole cook chamber. over 30 years ago there were good designs that we don't really see anymore. Wonder why?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I wouldn’t buy an offset that relies on tuning plates. Since I don’t like the new LSG designs and their older ones utilize tuning plates, that would rule them out for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny how each of us have different opinions. My LSG vertical offset has tuning plates and they work like charm. Even temps across the width of the cooker or not if I prefer to make it hotter on one side.

As to ruling LSG out, there are many great cookers out there that will suit your needs. Just like LSG has met the needs of many of the Brethren on this site. We just keep on cooking, making great BBQ and having fun.

- 8" Casters
- 2 x Tel Tru Guages
- Ash Pan
- Ball Valve Drain
- Pull Handle
- 2 x Probe Ports

Thanks!
Since you asked.....

I love my 40" length and glad I didn't get the 48". Aesthetics aside (really like the balance from a visual standpoint) it fit my patio dimensions better AND (most importantly) was the right size. I've never come close to running out of room so you'll need to figure out what you might cook on a "big" cook and go from there. Bottom line - no regrets.

I've never used water in my LSG. I've tried it in other offsets and it was a waste of fuel, time and a PITA to properly dispose of the greasy water afterward. Rusting won't be an issue if your pit is properly seasoned.

Options.... I passed on the SS table. They look nice but I prefer a larger shelf and SS is really bright on a sunny day. Kinda like lining your shelf with foil. Note my previous 3 pits had SS shelves so my decision was based on experience and not $$$'s.

Options... I passed on the ash pan - too heavy - 'nuff said.

Options... Probe ports are good with the precision door fit that LSG uses. But I don't use them as much as I use to.

As outlined in the following link my 24x40 LSG is the last pit I'll ever need (or want) to buy. Apologies to those who've seen this link too many times.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=239363

Good luck with your decision and patience during the build.

Oops... Forgot to address counterweights. Yes, Yes and Yes. Well worth it over the life cycle of the pit. :thumb:

Just posted half of this in the other thread but...I have a 24x48 LSG with warming oven. Single door and I do suggest the counter weight. Never use water in it. I have the standard fold down shelf but had Chris extend it a couple inches deeper. Glad I did that because it helps w clearance when opening the door.

24" gives you room to run full size pans front to back. I use pans at times and am glad I can fit them.

No issues with the tuning plates.

I have the ash pan as well which is 1/2" thick. Will last forever.

Also have the pull handle and 8" wheels which make it easy to move.

Everyone has there favorites here. Buy what makes you happy.

I use my firebox grate every once in a while and love it. I also love the trad'l flow and having temp zones. Chickens and stuff like that go toward the FB.

As to length - if you ever want to fit a pig in yer cooker, get the 48.

I like the single door as it makes sliding pigs in and out easier.
No need for insulated FB in SoCal, as stated.
I like having the ash pan.
I don't use probes in meat while cooking, so I wouldn't get probe ports, but that's me - I think most folks do it different.
Yes on the ball valve drain for sure! Big help for cleanup, esp. for large cooks. Just gotta remember there's a pot of grease under the cooker when the dawgs are loose - it can get messy!
I don't feel the need for tuning plates and I don't know about the internal water thingee. I just use a foil pan with water.

I got the 40 with every option you have listed except for the stainless tray. My only regrets about my purchase are not getting the 48 or even larger, and the stainless tray lol. But, no biggie, I still really enjoy cooking on it and my family and friends love the food it cooks!

I don't run water so cant help you there but I personally couldn't get the tuning plates to make the pit do what I wanted it to do, I was always battling to keep the temps down on the exhaust side. No matter where I put the plates or the spacing (yes, i followed Chris instructions) it always ran hot on exhaust end unless all the plates where down on that end. I would end up with hot right by the fire box, cooler temps in the middle and hot on the exhaust end even after hours of cooking. I like running with the intake as open as possible to keep a clean fire, and with how hard that exhaust pulls it was just pulling that heat to the exhaust end too fast. Maybe on the larger pits this effect is negated?? Probably some user error in there somewhere too, but I spent many hours and splits messing with them trying to figure them out. After some tinkering with a homemade baffle, I got it running with no tuning plates and 6-8 degree difference from fire box end to the now slightly cooler exhaust end, and thats what i was going for.

All in all, the craftsmanship of the pit is exceptional and the people at LSG are great to work with. I would recommend them to anyone!

I had the 24x48 double door, and I have to totally agree with the tuning plate comment. The area by my exhaust was always really hot, and food that was cooked directly above the tubing plates cooked really fast. I went to reverse flow to keep from having to mess with tuning plates, especially on a cooker that will be doing a decent amount of travelling. I'd also suggest a single door for the same reasons other have mentioned. Imo you can't easily fully utilize the space with two doors, a si gle door would be much easier.

I know another poster commented he has the vertical offset, I would suggest a cabinet style cooker now that I have one. Although I now bought a shirley, cabinet style doors are essentially the same. Having the straight area in the cooler is way easier when using pans and getting things to fit.

Last comment, i was charged $350 from LSG on my IVS for some stainless "art." I would suggest checking with your local fab shops. Called a local shop to replacethe logo on my Shirley and I'm paying $100 for a larger, more detailed design.

I have the 24x48 double door with insulated firebox and folding stainless table. When I bought mine I could not decide if should order the 40 or 48. Once I made a visit to see the pits before ordering I decided for the 48 and am happy with that size. i think the extra 8" makes a difference. However, in retrospect the single door would be my preference now instead of double doors.
The tuning plates worked fine for me but I do not use them. I do not like the taste/aroma of fat heating on the tuning plates, or RF plate for that matter, and yes I used to own one. The few times I did use the tuning plates I was able to achieve ~10 degrees difference from side to side on the bottom grate, so they did work for me from that perspective.
I do not use water in the cook chamber so can't help there. I actually like having the folding table; that in my opinion is a must. I prefer the stainless steel one as it is easier to keep clean for me, but I'm sure that is not necessary.

Weird that you never hear this much negativity about tuning plates. I don't think LSG is behind the times. More of a design preference maybe?

My old Smokemaster that was built in the 80's had the same firebox design as the LSG but used an angled plate in the opening of the cook chamber. That plate forced smoke up and over the plate and under the plate. The smoke that went under directly hit a 2 piece plate with big holes that ran along the whole cook chamber. Also had a grate level exhaust. That thing ran within 5 degrees across the whole cook chamber. over 30 years ago there were good designs that we don't really see anymore. Wonder why?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have an old Smokemaster that I recently refurbished. Mine doesn't have the 2 piece plate, but does have the angled plat at the cook chamber opening. My pit will have a small difference from side to side once it levels out (usually about 10 degrees). The pit is made so well and cooks great. I believe Big Hat BBQ has the Smokemaster design now and model their pits after them.

So doing the single door on the 24x48 is a $600 upgrade. Pretty expensive if you ask me.

For $300 more you can get the 24” vertical smoker option. Is that money better spent? What is the benefit of the vertical smoker?

Attachments

• 2094DD05-FDEB-46E7-99F4-EF9FCEB2B2FA.jpg
    2094DD05-FDEB-46E7-99F4-EF9FCEB2B2FA.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Back