MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 11-02-2013, 07:49 PM   #1
PigxelPerfectBbq
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Non injected brisket for competition?

Hey guys since its the offseason for competition it's time to do some experimenting to get ready for next year. My question is has anyone had good results as far as scoring goes making brisket without injecting. Last weekend I made a brisket with kosmos (has scored me fairly well in the past) but I found myself tasting too much of the artificial injection vs good ole beef. I don't think I over injected it was a 12 lb brisket after being trimmed and I probably injected less than 2 cups.

I'm pretty sure my favorite brisket locally at a restaurent isn't injected as that would be insane for a restaurent to inject and wrap all day everyday... Or maybe I'm wrong.

I just want to see if anyone has the same issue with tasting the injection too much and if its feasible to do well without it with the judges.... Any advice is greatly appreciated!

I'm finally happy with my bark now I need to refine the inside if my brisket

-Ben
PigxelPerfectBbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2013, 09:28 PM   #2
INmitch
is one Smokin' Farker

I took Triggs class 2 n half years ago. As of then he didn't inject. Me na I inject the sh!t out of them. I've beat him and He's beat me. If you can taste the injection maybe cut it back a bit. The reason for the injection (phosphates) is moisture not flavor.

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-02-2013, 09:43 PM   #3
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

LOL at offseason... Rescue Smokers just GC'd Big Pig Jig... Myron & crew GC'd last weekend in Hawkinsville. In Georgia, there is no real offseason...
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-02-2013, 10:05 PM   #4
trohrs123
is one Smokin' Farker

FWIW...I use 32 oz for a 17 lb brisket... Maybe it's not the volume, but you need to dilute...make half as strong?

Extreme BBQ Trailer
2 Humphrey Pints and Half Pint, 2 Cubed Pints
18" WSM, Hasty Bake Ranger, Weber Performer
Old No 7
trohrs123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2013, 12:53 AM   #5
PigxelPerfectBbq
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Well here in michigan it's certainly offseason ^.^ we don't have the luxury you guys do down south.

I'll try to dilute it , I'm unsure of the exact amount I used but it was about 3/4 of what was made according to kosmos package instructions.

I'm all for injecting for moisture as long as I can achieve that without really affecting/masking the true taste.
PigxelPerfectBbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-03-2013, 06:23 AM   #6
Q*bert
On the road to being a farker

I've been thinking along the same lines. I've always injected & foiled. And I've had a lot of success with it. But, since My off season is here, I was thinking of switching things up to no injection & butcher paper just to see....
[COLOR="black"][COLOR="Blue"][URL="http://www.facebook.com/AstroPigs"]http://www.facebook.com/AstroPigs[/COLOR][/COLOR][/URL]
[COLOR="LightBlue"]KCBS MABA[/COLOR]

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"][B][I][U]Proudly Sponsored By:[/U][/I][/B][/COLOR]
The BBQ Equipment Store [URL="http://http://www.bbqequipmentstore.com/"]http://http://www.bbqequipmentstore.com/[/URL]
K-Coast Surf Shop [URL="http://www.kcoast.com/"]http://www.kcoast.com/[/URL]
J.O. Spice Company Inc. [URL="http://www.jospices.com/"]http://www.jospices.com/[/URL]
Q*bert is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2013, 06:55 AM   #7
sfisch
is One Chatty Farker

Try a smaller needle and inject a smaller amount in more spots, get more distribution into the piece of meat.
Humphreys Battle Box
Chargriller Akorn, Akorn Jr.
Certified Moink Baller, CBJ# 53817
sfisch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2013, 08:18 AM   #8
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Definitely an off season up here. For an event in MI you have 8 months to think about that brisket. Haha..

The mixing directions on the bag are more of a suggestion so it may vary depending on how you cook and your other techniques. Like suggested above make it a little less strong and try it again as it is a great product. Calling Kosmos might help answer some questions too.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:39 AM   #9
Big Mike
is one Smokin' Farker

I do not inject, but I do marinate my brisket. 4 of the last 5 contests I entered I finished in the top 10 with brisket. The 5th one I was 15th but that brisket had issues.

Big Mike
Eagle River Barbecue
Yoder YS640
Stumps Platinum 5 Trailer
Members Mark 8 Burner Gasser
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2013, 08:43 AM   #10
Fat Freddy
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Fred

I am not sure what ratios you used but what I will say is watch the labels on Kosmos, and there is nothing wrong with the product. It MAY be right but I had a sample bag that said enough for 2 briskets and then on the regular size bag it says enough for 2 briskets. seems to be exact same label. The directions give specific instructions(I use less) but if someone is thinking they have to use half a bag for 1 brisket there could be an issue.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:45 AM   #11
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Over the years I've adjusted my injection a few times. I've finally settled in using Butchers (similar to Kosmos'), but I double the water, and I make certain it sets-up overnight. I've found that if I use it as prescribed, or if I mix it and inject it withing a short period of time, I end up with a fairly strong taste of injection.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2013, 10:39 AM   #12
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

One more thing, the Reserve Blend I am sure does have seasonings in it which may be what you are tasting. You might want to try his Moisture Magic as that will be a flavorless phosphate injection. A lot of teams will make their own injection and add some Moisture Magic to it.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:02 PM   #13
Dex
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
Over the years I've adjusted my injection a few times. I've finally settled in using Butchers (similar to Kosmos'), but I double the water, and I make certain it sets-up overnight. I've found that if I use it as prescribed, or if I mix it and inject it withing a short period of time, I end up with a fairly strong taste of injection.
I have noticed the same thing and plan on trying different dosages this off season as well

Old 11-03-2013, 08:24 PM   #14
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

In competition I've been injecting and wrapping for many years. It makes a difference in moisture. I cooked for years on an fe100. 2 butts and 2 briskets. However if I cook 2 cases of butts at once I don't do anything but rub. I get a moister product. Same with about 120 lbs of briskets. But that's a heck of a cost for a contest unless you're vending as well. Of course other smokers that are not as insulated and sealed may cause different results.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:07 AM   #15
Fat Woody
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigxelPerfectBbq View Post
I'm pretty sure my favorite brisket locally at a restaurent isn't injected as that would be insane for a restaurent to inject and wrap all day everyday... Or maybe I'm wrong.
Would that be Lockhart's? You could ask the pitmaster, he's a Brethren after all!

Send him a PM: Bbq Bubba
Owner/Operator of: Superior "Stealth" SS2, Brinkmann "Lefty" Bandera clone (retired), Comalco Black Dog grill, and various Weber kettles.
World's fastest [B]Belgian/Cuban Racing Yellow[/B] thermapen.
Fat Woody is offline   Reply With Quote