MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-01-2015, 11:44 AM   #12376
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paquette11b View Post
I removed the gasket and it's just metal now. three 1inch intakes ( 2 with 3/4in pipe, 1 with 3/4 ball valve) and 8 3/4inch exhaust holes. the larger intakes are a great idea. The lid almost seems like it came from a different barrel and won't even come close to fitting. Maybe a rope gasket will help. Thanks guys...tried to upload pics but the phone isn't cooperating
Leaking smoke around the lid won't hurt nuttin. More airflow = more charcoal/wood burning= higher temps. 3 3/4 intakes should be enough - I have 4 and one is usually capped. Wood burns hotter than charcoal - more wood chunks it'll run hotter. How much lit charcoal did you dump in? How long till you put lid on? I'll dump 3/4 chimney lit in and spread it around with a stick then I leave top off for 20 minutes or so I'll let it run 30 more minutes before meat goes on. More meat will keep temps down and block airflow. I like to get my UDS up to 10-15* higher than I want before meat goes on then it'll drop 30* because of meat then level out where I want it or close within 30-45 minutes.

Take the lid off for 10-15 minutes then put back on and see where your temp levels out.

Thanks from:--->

Old 02-03-2015, 01:26 PM   #12377
Deltaboy
Knows what a fatty is.

This is the most epic UDS thread in the History of the WWW!
Deltaboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2015, 07:24 PM   #12378
tharris811
Found some matches.

Her is a picture of my 30 gal and 55 gal. drum I just got done with. I did the 30 gal so we could take it to the lake this summer. The 55 will stay here..

tharris811 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2015, 08:26 PM   #12379
12ring
Full Fledged Farker

Hello, I have decided I want to build a uds for a good friend of mine. After finding this epic thread, I have become consumed with reading it. I have read hundreds of pages and I thought I had decided what I wanted to do. Then I came across this A&W root beer drum. Problem is I don't know anything about it. I was sent the pictures but I don't know the dimensions or what it is even made out of. I assume it is aluminium or stainless. It might even be aluminium on the outside and stainless on the inside. It appears to be doubled walled or something. I do know my buddy says it has been around his moms house for about 20-30 years or so.

I was hoping somebody on here might know something about the drum. Maybe somebody worked with them back in the day and can tell me what it is made out of. Thanks for any help.

12ring is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2015, 11:27 PM   #12380
bstomper
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
Leaking smoke around the lid won't hurt nuttin. More airflow = more charcoal/wood burning= higher temps. 3 3/4 intakes should be enough - I have 4 and one is usually capped. Wood burns hotter than charcoal - more wood chunks it'll run hotter. How much lit charcoal did you dump in? How long till you put lid on? I'll dump 3/4 chimney lit in and spread it around with a stick then I leave top off for 20 minutes or so I'll let it run 30 more minutes before meat goes on. More meat will keep temps down and block airflow. I like to get my UDS up to 10-15* higher than I want before meat goes on then it'll drop 30* because of meat then level out where I want it or close within 30-45 minutes.

Take the lid off for 10-15 minutes then put back on and see where your temp levels out.

Yep listen to smittyjonz. Through my limited experience this is what I have found out also. I have 3 3/4" intakes and a single 2" exhaust and I have reached temps of 450* in -27 celcius temperatures with a naked drum without a problem. Like smittyjonez said, light more charcoal in your chimney upon start up and don't pour it in the basket until it is ashed over and white. Then open up all intakes and exhaust. It should climb. What is your charcoal basket made of. it should be out of expanded metal to allow the maximum air flow possible through it from the bottom and the sides.
bstomper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2015, 07:41 AM   #12381
New Pal Frank
is one Smokin' Farker

Here is my latest drum project.
Husband & Wife Team (so far)

[B][I][COLOR=magenta][U]Hug Hogs Competition BBQ Team[/U] [/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][I][COLOR=black][U]New Palestine IN[/U][/COLOR][/I][/B]

Last edited by New Pal Frank; 01-12-2020 at 08:55 AM..
New Pal Frank is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-04-2015, 12:40 PM   #12382
AntenMills UDS
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Building mine upside down too...

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimehelm View Post

Other question is about my 55 gallon drum. It was an open top, but my kettle lid non weber would only fit perfectly on the bottom end. I had read earlier in this thread someone had opened the bottom used it as the top and used the now bottom with removable lid as kinda an easy access to clean out the bottom and such. So I proceeded to remove my base and a few more hundred or so pages later I read one guy didn't like this approach because it made his intake air hard to control, and another guy liked it and said after awhile the seasoned drum will plug up any cracks or leaks. I believe what the guy said about a seasoned drum but that kind of defeats the purpose of having an easy access clean out base if you never open it. I guess my question is if anyone still uses this approach or has tried it and their opinions or suggestions on it.
I have the same exact issue as "jaimehelm" My lid fits perfectly around the bottom and I am going to build it upside down. I'm curious if "jaimehelm" ever found an issue with the seal at the bottom. I have a ring clamp that it came with to keep it tight and I think cleaning should be much easier too. I'm also curious if "jaimehelm" put casters on the bottom lid. I've got three and have gone back and forth on installing them or not... Thanks for all the posts and pics. I've spent weeks reading!
AntenMills UDS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2015, 01:02 PM   #12383
AntenMills UDS
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default It begins...

#1 The pick up. $20 Food grade that used to have Cranberry juice in it.

#2 the boyz ready to get to work!

#3 $40 of sand blasting (best $ I ever spent!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (37.3 KB, 672 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (31.6 KB, 669 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (36.5 KB, 669 views)
AntenMills UDS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2015, 01:07 PM   #12384
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

The upside down one I've seen in person had a slider vent and he said it was easy and he had many cooks on it. If I build another it will be upside down with slider vent.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:35 AM   #12385
nathan
Found some matches.

Default Getting ready for my first smoke.

Built last weekend and did a season / test burn on Wednesday. Looking forward to my first real smoke this weekend. Going to attempt a butt and a few racks of baby back ribs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150204_180946.jpg (30.6 KB, 641 views)

Old 02-09-2015, 10:32 AM   #12386
wdpope1
Got Wood.

I did an all nighter on a pork butt and my lump burned off to side and real hot checked on it every hour firest 3 hrs 230 to 230 then 310 then fough it to bring it down and maintaine 225-250 range burned on side away from intakes I have 4 used front valve and back un capped
any Ideal what happened
I am thinking didn`t load bascket properly but still turned out mouth wateriing and sorry for no pron
wdpope1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2015, 10:35 AM   #12387
wdpope1
Got Wood.

also I scored 10 barels for $5 each and can get more with just a call
going to make some more
wdpope1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2015, 11:27 AM   #12388
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdpope1 View Post
I did an all nighter on a pork butt and my lump burned off to side and real hot checked on it every hour firest 3 hrs 230 to 230 then 310 then fough it to bring it down and maintaine 225-250 range burned on side away from intakes I have 4 used front valve and back un capped any Ideal what happened
I am thinking didn`t load bascket properly but still turned out mouth wateriing and sorry for no pron
Did you lite coals only on that one side or dump in hot coals and did not spread them over the top of the unlit coals. That is probably your cause. As to the higher temp after 3 hrs, that is when your meat came up close to the drum temp. If you don't have any leaks or the wind could have been blowing into one of your intakes cause higher flow which equals higher temps.
Just a thought.
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2015, 02:09 PM   #12389
65BAJA
Found some matches.

Going to cook my first Fatty tonight. I've done a bit of searching and can't seem to fine what the cooking temps and times should be. Can someone please enlighten me?
65BAJA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2015, 04:09 PM   #12390
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65BAJA View Post
Going to cook my first Fatty tonight. I've done a bit of searching and can't seem to fine what the cooking temps and times should be. Can someone please enlighten me?
250, 275, 300 degrees, it's all good. 160-165 internal and pull it to rest. Yummmm Any where from 45 mins to 1 hr typically depending on temp/brand/size/stuffed/unstuffed.
Hope that helps
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker