MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:20 AM   #1
El_Capitan
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default WSM dimensions

I want to get a WSM 22.5 inch, but where I live after taxes, shipping and handling the price will be over $700. They only sell the WSM 18.5 here for $575. I live in Bermuda. I am trying to get a WSM 22.5 into the country for that price.

I will be home for a week in May and was thinking about flying one back to Bermuda. AA charges $200 for over 70 LBS and $200 for oversize. That would make the grill 900 to get here. I have to pay a 25% tax. $400 grill plus $100 tax is a $500 grill.

I noticed on Amazon the shipping weight is 76lbs. I though about taking a few pounds out and putting them in another bag, but it will only decrease the price from $200 to $100. (900 to 800)

So then I thought about breaking it down from 1 box into 2 boxes. This would decreased the weight to less than 50lbs in each box so it would eliminate the overweight charge or either $100 (50-70lbs) or $200 (70-100lbs). Although checking a second bag is $35 that is ok with me, a lot better than $200.

I was thinking about putting the Center ring in one box with some of the other parts like the grates, water pan, etc. Using as much as the packing material that it originally came in to prevent damage.

Then in the second box putting the lid and bowl together and maybe some of what didn't go into box 1.

I have looked on line, but I can not find the exact dimensions of the parts. VBB has the best schematics, but not exact dimensions. Exact dimensions are important because if the bag, or box in this case, is greater than 62 inches it will be considered over sized and billed at $200 per piece. Length + width + height.

I can order it from bbqisland.com for 703.97 which includes the grill, shipping and handling, and taxes. I am trying to avoid a $200 shipping fee.

So my question is. Can one of you kind WSM 22.5 owners please measure the center ring and let me know it's diameter and length I would be very thankful.
El_Capitan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2013, 12:23 AM   #2
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

They are nice but they ain't worth all that.i will measure but it may take a while,mine is not on site.Sorry.Good luck.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2013, 01:24 AM   #3
yakdung
is One Chatty Farker

I would recommend building a UDS(S) if you can find a source for barrels at that price point. A few barrels and a cheap MIG welder and you are in business.
Good luck,
yakdung is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2013, 02:36 AM   #4
Kloogee
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakdung View Post
I would recommend building a UDS(S) if you can find a source for barrels at that price point. A few barrels and a cheap MIG welder and you are in business.
Good luck,
Don't even need a welder for a UDS. Many of us have successfully built a nice UDS without doing any welding at all. I'm not sure what all supplies are available in Bermuda, but I bet you could do a fantastic UDS that would do just as good of a job as the WSM at a much cheaper price and less hassle.

Good luck whichever way you choose.
Kloogee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2013, 06:04 AM   #5
slammmed
Full Fledged Farker

Honestly the extra $200 for shipping is worth it, there isn't way I would trust airports to move my brand new smoker and get it out of round or worse.
slammmed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2013, 07:08 AM   #6
prodano
On the road to being a farker

Default WSM dimensions

Weber does a good job packaging their products so I would be hesitant about taking the box apart and dividing into two boxes. I would also be worried about the box being poorly handled at the airport. Those guys throw luggage around with no respect. I would hate for you to go to this trouble and expense to get a damaged product.

Although I don't have a UDS that is the first place I would start if I were you.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:34 AM   #7
Offthehook
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakdung View Post
Good luck,
I was just about to say!

Old 03-06-2013, 07:47 AM   #8
Shooter1
Full Fledged Farker

Man that is ridiculous what you have to pay. I love my WSM but no way I'm paying that much for one. If it gets damaged during transport how hard is it going to be to get replacement parts? Weber has great customer service but are you going to end up having to pay anything to get them? I think I would definitely go UDS or PBS. Good Luck man!

Old 03-06-2013, 08:18 AM   #9
Funtimebbq
Full Fledged Farker

Do you have a friend in Miami? If so, maybe they could help you with finding a cruise line (or passenger) that is stopping in Bermuda and willing to drop off the WSM. It may take a while to arrange but can't hurt to ask. Especially if you can save a few hundred bucks and ship in the original packaging.
Funtimebbq is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 03-06-2013, 10:01 AM   #10
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

22 7/8" outside diameter measured at the widest portion
21 1/2" as measured on a flat surface

This would be your envelope. Good luck let us know if it works out.
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove
Bluesman is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 03-06-2013, 10:53 PM   #11
El_Capitan

This is why I love this forum. I ask for the dimensions of a 22.5 inch WSM and the response is almost unanimous "build a UDS" and I thought to myself I do love building stuff. Almost instantly my mind changed from WMS to UDS. It completely changed when bluesman gave me the dimensions and it added up to an oversized package. Soooo now I need to find someone who will ship a steel drum to Bermuda. Although I do like the cruise ship idea as well.

I looked around. The steel drums here are closed top, and are old oil drums.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:09 PM   #12
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

From what I have read here, building a UDS can cure cancer. A UDS is a great cooker, if you can and want to make one.

Yeah, that is one answer.

But I have a hypothetical question. If one of us were to buy a new or used WSM, and ship it to you via UPS, or some other shipper, what would it cost you.

I'd be willing to do it, if it worked out for you, and didn't turn into a career for me.

You are not that far from Florida. Why should it cost that much?

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2013, 12:45 AM   #13
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

$700 for a WSM. You are wasting your money.
Why do not you build a kamado style by brick/cement/sand
You need only to buy grill, cover, or bar/hook.
optional fire basket/draft controller.
woodpelletsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2013, 05:21 AM   #14
El_Capitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpelletsmoker View Post
$700 for a WSM. You are wasting your money.
Why do not you build a kamado style by brick/cement/sand
You need only to buy grill, cover, or bar/hook.
optional fire basket/draft controller.
I don't think my landlord would appreciate that.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:31 AM   #15
El_Capitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
From what I have read here, building a UDS can cure cancer. A UDS is a great cooker, if you can and want to make one.

Yeah, that is one answer.

But I have a hypothetical question. If one of us were to buy a new or used WSM, and ship it to you via UPS, or some other shipper, what would it cost you.

I'd be willing to do it, if it worked out for you, and didn't turn into a career for me.

You are not that far from Florida. Why should it cost that much?

CD
You'd have to drive it to the port of Miami and load into onto a container. And it would still be around $100 shipping. Depending on how much you get a used one for add %25 percent tax.

I am kind of liking the UDS idea. I could ship a drum to NYC and have it put on a container ship for less than 100 shipped here it looks like a steel drum will cost me around $200. A lot better than 700.

Now I just have to figure out what to paint it.