Pork Shoulder on the PG1000 w/ pr0n

sleebus.jones

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
So, I haven't done a long cook on the new cooker yet, so today was a great day for that. Just had our 21st anniversary, so took Monday off for a long weekend. Found a nice shoulder at a good price so off to the races!

Here it is after getting salted about 12 hours prior. I'm in the process of wetting it down with Worcestershire to stick the rub down

0BiL65rl.jpg

I use Meathead's Memphis Dust. I like mixing spice blends, and it's usually cheaper...and I can adjust as needed. This recipe, however, is pretty dang spot-on as written. Got a nice paste going here

dJSyPPul.jpg

After about 9 hrs in the cooker. It's got the right jiggle. Fat cap is nicely rendered and crunchy. Mmm!

o9Dy94Fl.jpg

Yoink!

epOoE3Al.jpg

Get in there!

QJl7z60l.jpg

And on the bun, which is a weird low-carb bun my wife found a recipe for. Very tasty (not the usual cardboard flavor low-carb has) and you make them in the microwave in 1 (one!) minute.

wLhh4ktl.jpg

Gotta say, compared to my GMGs that I've cooked on, this cooker turned out the best shoulder I've ever done. Can't wait to get a brisket on there next!

Perfect looking pork. I love that bark :clap2: Not sure I can get down with that bun though :oops:

Congrats on the anniversary and the new cooker :thumb:

Agreed. If that was my choice of bun i would just go bunless :caked:

But Happy Anniversary and the pork looks mighty fine. I usually save that nice fat cap for myself..

Not sure I can get down with that bun though :oops:

Honestly, the bun is good. Looks weird as hell, but is light and tasty. Most low carb breads have a tendency to taste like dirt, this does not.

Agreed. If that was my choice of bun i would just go bunless :caked:

Yeah, but you should try it just once. I guarantee you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Looks great! Interested in the bun recipe :)

Sure thing. I'll get my wife to email the the recipe.

Ok, as requested, the bun recipe:

Code:
Low Carb Hamburger Bun

INGREDIENTS 
2 tablespoons of melted butter
1/2 pinch salt
1 extra large egg, beaten
4 tablespoons flax seed meal
1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Mix all ingredients together in a microwave safe bowl or container 
(I use a 10oz. ramekin)
Put the bowl/container in the microwave and nuke for 1 minute or until center is set.
It will billow up in the bowl.
Leave it in the bowl for another minute then turn it out on a cooling rack 
and let it cool.
Once it has cooled take a long bread knife and slice the bun in half and make your 
hamburger as usual.

NUTRITION INFO
Serving Size: 1 (108 g)

Servings Per Recipe: 1

Total Carbohydrate 9 g

Nice cook! I would go for for some o dat! I would have to try that bun, but who needs a bun though? Pile that on top of a heap of slaw, gimme some pickles and onion, and I would be in bbq heaven! :clap::clap2:

Back