• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Nomex gasket - DONE !!!!

MilitantSquatter

Reaction score
Finally got around to putting on the Nomex replacement gasket on the XL. First, I re-watched the Nomex installation demonstration video's on SmokinGuitarPlayer's website to get all the finer points down (like putting the new gasket in the dryer for 30 minutes to pre-shrink. spraying the adhesive on the dome rim and gasket, etc.)

I knew the scraping, cleaning and adhering was not gonna be an issue, but I was concerned about trying to re-align the dome given the size/weight. Sledneck was gonna lend me a hand but I decided to see how it went this AM on my own. Surprisingly, I did it solo. Did the $1 bill test and overall it's good but everytime I made an adjustment to correct one side, a different area was now less tight. I got it in a place that I think covers 90% as good as I'd hope.

At least the two mediums will be muh easier to handle should I look to replace those at some point.

Gonna let it settle today, but definitely planning to give it a workout next Sat & Sun.

Last edited:
did u take the lid off to do the lid or did u apply with it in the open position? im hoping to do mine today.

did u take the lid off to do the lid or did u apply with it in the open position? im hoping to do mine today.

I took the dome off.. I needed to loosen everything anyway since my dome needed to be re-aligned anyway..

Since I sprayed adhesive on dome rim and new gasket, it was not going to be easy holding a tacky gasket and getting it in on the back side..It's possible though...especially if you only apply adhesive to dome only.

Vinny, when I did mine I had the same trouble. Gasket sealed good one area and not another and back and forth.

Here's what I did, I had 2 tie down straps with the ratcheting levers. I place them in an X across the loosened dome and down under the base, (just like if you were tying something for travel) cranked them down good and snug then tightened the dome brackets. Tight all around after that!

How do ya keep the tension on the rings to keep it from springin open when u take the dome off? im afraid of it flyin acrosss the back yard.

How do ya keep the tension on the rings to keep it from springin open when u take the dome off? im afraid of it flyin acrosss the back yard.

when i installed my nomex i loosened the top band and removed the dome then opened the top band without the dome then loosened the lower band and removed the hinge from the base. it wasn't that big a deal if you are careful

when i installed my nomex i loosened the top band and removed the dome then opened the top band without the dome then loosened the lower band and removed the hinge from the base. it wasn't that big a deal if you are careful

I think I can handle that.. may work on that here after my cowboys finish off the seahawks.

I should have done BOTH of my Larges today, don't think we'll see many days like this for a long time!

I intended to order a Nomex for my Small but farked up and ordered a regular. Beer may have been involved or I was in a hurry. I got it from Fred but I don't think I'll send it back. The regular should be fine for my Small.

It looks like Nomex came standard on my new Large!

Got mine all cleaned up and fixin to stick the gasket in the dryer. been watchin freds videos.

Back