• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Vision Kamado - Indirect Setup

S

seeker

Hi all,

I don't usually post to forums but since I got some good info from this site I figured I would contribute what I am using for an indirect cooking setup in the Vision Kamado Costco sells.

I recently bought a Vision Classic Kamado and have been doing research on the best setup for indirect cooking with this unit. The stone sold by Vision looks adequate but I was looking for more flexibility and cooking options. After much research I decided to give the Kamado Joe heat deflector a try and here is what I found....in short it worked great!

The rack that came with the deflector fits the Vision fire box quite well. I went to work with my Dremel and made 3 notches similar to the ones on the KJ fire ring. The notches are not needed to make this setup work but they really lock the rack to the firebox and make it feel very solid.
Rack only.jpg

Here is a pic of the rack with the deflector plate installed. The gap between the plate and box is 3/4". I was a little concerned this might not be enough but it worked quite well.
deflector.jpg

The Vision grill also fit right on the KJ rack. This setup puts the grill height about 1" above the lip of the lower half...about perfect height!
Rack and deflector.jpg

To tests things out I loaded the grill up and put a full brisket on. After 12+ hours I was still holding 225 and things were looking really good.
brisket on grill.jpg

Here is the final result. Nice moist and great smokey taste!
Brisket done.jpg

All in all the deflector worked out great. It put the bottom grill right where I wanted it, works great for low and slow, and I am positive it will work well for pizza etc.. Hopefully this post will help others in their search for an indirect setup for these great grills.

Seeker

The Vision heat deflector leaves much to be desired, way too small of a diameter IMHO letting too much direct heat up to the food. This looks like a wonderful mod!

That looks like a great set-up! I went to one of the local shops and they wanted $79 for the KJ heat deflector. While I'm all for supporting the local shops, $90 with tax seems pretty high.

That's for the large KJ, correct? Where did you get it?

I was going to buy it on the web but decided to give the local Kamado Joe dealer a shot first. They were both the same at just under $50 bucks so I supported the local company.

The deflector is for their Classic Joe....not the Big Joe.

Yep...that's the one!

FYI, the heat deflector plate from KJ looks to be exactly the same as their pizza stone except for the wording embossed on the plates.

The next thing I'm going to try is a clay pot base sitting on the lower section of the rack with the deflector on the top...this should be a great pizza setup.

Seeker

Interesting set up.
Would that fit a old kamado?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk in stealth mode.

As long as the I.D. of your firebox or fire ring is 16-17" where the grill gate sits it will work just fine.

seeker, how do you like the vision? i have been looking at that every time i go to costco. seems solid and a decent deal. any input would be splendid.

of note, i have a weber performer that does just fine for grilling and a drum for smoking. looking for another tool for the shed!

sbramm, I love it!

As far as the build of the grill I really cannot fault any part of it. Though nothing is extremely heavy duty, nothing is wimpy either. Even the grill cover seems well constructed. The grill has gotten wet several times and hasn't affected anything negatively. I have smoked and had it over 600 degrees many times and everything is holding up very well.

I have a Traeger 075 that I use frequently and have never really been satisfied with the smoke flavor coming off it. Even with premium pellets it still seems light at best. The kamado does not have that problem. The smoke flavor I am getting is excellent and easily controlled by the amount of wood chunks added!

This thing still amazes me everytime I load it up with $3.00 of charcoal and watch it burn steady for 15-20 hours. The Traeger would cost me 2-3 times as much in pellets, I'd be listening to the blower running all night, and I still wouldn't get the flavor this kamado delivers.

I would highly recommend it!

Here is a pic of the pizza
Pizza.jpg

I had also purchased the Vision Grill from Costco and bought the stone for indirect heat. I found the stone to be cumbersome and did not do much of a good job deflecting the heat. The problem with the stone made by Vision Grill is that you have to place the stone on the main grill and place the meat on the elevated rack. There was not much room for a drip pan. Thanks for "taking one for the team"! Great post!

The problem with the stone made by Vision Grill is that you have to place the stone on the main grill and place the meat on the elevated rack.
On the Vision, you are supposed to put the lava stone on the flat stainless support that makes an "X" and hang that on the firepot. Then you put the grate in so there is a gap. You can also add the elevated grate too if you want, in order to create more space between the stone and the cooking surface.

Hi everyone looks like a great spot you guys have here. I`ve been waiting all week end to see these pics, this is exactly what I need, thanks for posting.

Have you tried the second rack with this set up? does it fit ? I had to get the local dealer to order me one, should get it this week.

Hello!

I'm thrilled to see a Vision Kamado thread, I just got one this spring! In Canada the Vision dealer is Canadian Tire and they only sell the Vision Pro, not the Vision Classic. The two smokers are the same size but one of the differences I think is the port for the electric starter in the Pro. I didn't install it so there's that much more room in the charcoal bowl. I used my new smoker for the first time two nights ago in an overnight smoke with an 18# pork shoulder. Was 17 hours and only used about 9# of charcoal which floored me. My cheap COS got 3 to 6 hours of smoking per 16# bag of charcoal depending on the season and weather. I thought the Vision's smoking disc was too small, too, so I put a cookie sheet above the stone resting on the top edge of the firebowl -- under the grill. It was solid and did the trick, I was overjoyed with the finished shoulder. I hear what has been said about the workmanship, some aspects/parts of the kamado look like really good quality (the lips on the upper and lower metal bands that prevent sliding out unlike BGE and Primo), the cover, the calibrated/notched air vents which really help tuning in a temperature, the strength of the stand and just the overall look and feel. What doesn't look as good quality is not all the metal work is precision, I have to pull one of the side table brackets off and bend the metal up a 16th of an inch so the side table can slide into place, I've got three dime-sized outside/body spots where the paint has come off since I brought it home (don't remember anything "getting it") and the metal bands aren't set on as straight/lined-up as they could have been. It's a heck of a lot of kamado for the money, though, with everything you need to smoke already included in the box. I see no need to buy a 'base' accessory to augment my smoker's capability making it good value for the model's base -- not including things like a rib or vertical chicken stand. I'm glad you talked about the charcoal level, Seeker. When you load it up for 15 - 20 hours of smoking do you load up past the highest firebowl holes? I just went up to them on my first smoke with about 35% of a bag of 100% natural low ash hardwood briquettes and found in my 17 hour smoke that I had to top the charcoal up before going to bed. There is still some charcoal left though I haven't checked how much, busy day yesterday. I'd like to be able to load charcoal above the top firebowl holes for a long smoke to get 20 hours, that would be amazing.

Thank you for the PM

Here are my results thanks again. :clap2:

Attachments

• IMG_1229.jpg
    IMG_1229.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 982
  • IMG_1230.jpg
    IMG_1230.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 975
  • IMG_1231.jpg
    IMG_1231.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 972