logo

Arancini (Italian Meatballs with Rice)

High Q

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
For the meatball throwdown, I made Arancini. In searching for a meatball dish, I remembered a trip I took to New York City a couple of years ago. We went to Patsy's in mid town and had Arancini, a large ball of Risotto stuffed with meat and meat sauce that was breaded, fried and served over red sauce. Since this was a meatball throwdown, not a rice ball throwdown, I changed it up a bit.

I sauteed minced onion, carrots and celery until translucent, then added 1 pound of ground beef with some tomato paste, kosher salt and white pepper.

DSC_0430.jpg

Once the meat filling mixture simmered for a bit, I added some sweet peas and put it in the fridge to cool. Simultaneously, I made some long grain rice using chicken broth in lieu of water. I made about 3/4# of rice. I spread that on some wax paper and let it cool in the fridge. Once it cooled, I made Arancini balls by putting a cube of mozzarella in the middle, surrounded it with about a teaspoon of meat filling and then put that in a ball of the rice mixture. I rolled the ball in panko bread crumbs and set aside to cook.

DSC_0435-1.jpg

While making the Arancini, I decided to up the meat content so I turned the Arancini inside out. I put the cheese in the middle, surrounded by a teaspoon of rice and made a meatball around the outside using the meat mixture. I rolled that in panko too.

DSC_0437-1.jpg

I used the kettle to cook them. I set a fire ring inside the kettle, started a chimney of Kingsford and put the lit coals around the perimeter. I put a pizza stone on the ring and let it get up to temp (somewhere around 450).

DSC_0443.jpg

DSC_0441.jpg

I cooked in the kettle for about a half hour. I took the leftover meat filling and added some marinara. I served on my throwdown plate with marinara meat sauce with some shaved parmesan. Here's a photo of the Arancini and the inside out version too. They were both good but the meatier version was really good.

The Arancini

DSC_0458.jpg

Two Inside out Arancini

DSC_0467.jpg

DSC_0478.jpg

Now that's a meatball!

Very cool :thumb: Did you just cook the balls directly on the stone?

WOW! That is one beautiful Arancini / Meatball. Didn't know there were any Italian chefs down there in Texas. Great job.
Looks like your pizza stone is supported by your charcoal baskets surrounded by coals? Is that right?

Did you just cook the balls directly on the stone?

Looks like your pizza stone is supported by your charcoal baskets surrounded by coals? Is that right?

I have some spare parts from my Dads old Brinkmann. I took the ash pan out f the base and turned it upside down on the charcoal grate. I poured the hot charcoal from the chimney around the perimeter and then put the stone on the ash pan.

I do the same hung when I 'bake' in my WSM but I set the stone on my rib rack. In either case, I find that it helps to elevate the stone up into the dome so it gets real hot and the heat is ale to circulate under/around the stone.

That looks Great! So many nice things on the boards recently, my list is filling up! Damn!!

I'd LOVE to try that! Thanks for the idea! :clap:
Cheers!

Back