Electric smoker pros and cons

Buckscent

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I set up in different parts of town on the weekends and use a reverse flow wood smoker, I am getting tired of staying up all night snoking only to go sell all day saturday and sunday, Looking at getting an electic asmoker so it can so it's job all night while I sleep, What are the pros and cons on them? Does the meat taste as good as a wood box smoker? Which brand? Thanks

How big an electric smoker are you talking about?

I have a Bradley and like it but it does not do near as good as a good cabinet smoker like a Backwoods, stumps, superior or pitmaker. I am partial to Backwoods but they are all good. With a guru and the insulation they pack on those smokers they will go all night easy. You might even look at pellet cookers.

Sounds like you might need something with a decent capacity.

I've had the displeasure of wasting money on just about every electric smoker out there from a Bradley, Old Smokey, Cookshack and one of it's clones, Masterbuilt (MES), Brinkman, you name it. You just can't compare a product that was cooked in a electric smoker over one that was smoked over just charcoal/wood. It's a complete night and day difference.

I'm no expert on the subject by any means, but to me the main issue with them is that the wood sits over a heating element and smolders but never actually catches fire. That results in some pretty nasty smelling and tasting smoke. My only regret was not keeping the MES to at least smoke sausage and jerky, but I ended my run with electric smokers before I found out about the A-Maze-N smoker gadget.

I know the majority of MES owners also own an A-Maze-N unit and really seem to love the combo. I'd like to dig a little deeper into the world of sausage making sometime in the near future so I might end up going that way myself. I don't know if I was any help, but I just thought I'd throw my 2 cents out there.

Back