How do you finish your chicken?

B

BBQNUTT

Do you cook it entirely on the smoker, or do you finish on the grill? If you grill it, how long do you normaly leave it on the grill to finish it?

Do you cook it entirely on the smoker, or do you finish on the grill? If you grill it, how long do you normaly leave it on the grill to finish it?

My chicken from start to finish has always been on the smoker.

You ask a dangerous question about the grilling. That is all dependent on the type of grill, amount of heat, distance from flame, doneness of the chicken before you grill it, etc... you're better off experimenting on your own at home on a saturday with a 12 pack. :razz:

We havn't had any luck entirely smoking the chicken. If all you do is smoke it you will have very rubbery skin. At the last comp we only used the grill. We left the chicken on the cool side for a while before we finished it on a little bit warmer temps. You could bite through the skin without it trying to pull off at all. First time i've ever liked eating the skin. As far as how long you leave it on the higher temps i think it comes down to practice practice practice.

We havn't had any luck entirely smoking the chicken. If all you do is smoke it you will have very rubbery skin. At the last comp we only used the grill. We left the chicken on the cool side for a while before we finished it on a little bit warmer temps. You could bite through the skin without it trying to pull off at all. First time i've ever liked eating the skin. As far as how long you leave it on the higher temps i think it comes down to practice practice practice.

Although I do a bit of grilling now, when I only smoked it I never had trouble getting bit through skin. I only grill it a very short time being careful not to scorch it to badly.
Dave

Although I do a bit of grilling now, when I only smoked it I never had trouble getting bit through skin. I only grill it a very short time being careful not to scorch it to badly.
Dave
Just my experience but low temperatures makes the skin almost inedible, Hard to even chew through. What temperatures are you smoking at?

Ive heard of some cooking it on the smoker till "done" then moving it to a hot grill to crisp the skin and sauce it. I think this is how I want to try it, but I was just curious to know what other teams do.

I too only smoke my chicken and always have bite through skin. I have had very good luck with chicken this year.

I too only smoke my chicken and always have bite through skin. I have had very good luck with chicken this year.

Do you lay the smoke to it the entire time or just part way through? How much time to you allow for your sauce to set up on the chicken once you begin the finishing process?

I smoke my chicken at around 210 for 2-3 hours and then take it off wrap it in foil and put it on the far side of the smoker for about 1 to 1 1/2 more hours. It comes out very tender and juicy with a nice skin on it. I've received nothing but compliments on the tenderness, flavor and look of it.

Just my experience but low temperatures makes the skin almost inedible, Hard to even chew through. What temperatures are you smoking at?

Anywhere between 230 and 250 but I put them in a foil pan cover with sauce and cover the pan with foil after a period of time for about 30 to 40 minutes. Bite through every time.
Dave

I SMOKE mine on the Weber kettle grill... offset from coals and wood chips I've soaked for several hours. Used to move to the smoker to kind of steam it in pans but it always farked up the skin. Now I time it so that it's done only about 30 minutes before turn-in. How long do I smoke it? Til it's done. That could be whatever temp you like to take it to. Stick the ones with the Therma-Pen you obviously are NOT going to turn in so that you don't pierce good ones and lose juices.

I SMOKE mine on the Weber kettle grill...
Same here. Higher temp for better skin and we leave a little time for them to rest. We do that because you can bite through the skin easier w/o pulling the whole thing off if it's a little cooler.

Same here. Higher temp for better skin and we leave a little time for them to rest. We do that because you can bite through the skin easier w/o pulling the whole thing off if it's a little cooler.

Kirk - just remember that from the time you take it off the grates and box it, until a judge bites into it, could be 15+ minutes. May not want to let it rest too long from grate to boxing. It will get down time from box to judges table.

I've never had a hot piece of chicken while judging.

after smoking we finish on a charcoal fire helps set up the glaze too

Air dry your chicken (leave uncovered in the fridge or ice chest overnight) then season and coat with a bit of oil before smoking at a higher temp.

The air drying helps crisp up the skin.

Everybody has their ideas of what is good. Me, if I want crispy chicken I fry it. If I want BBQ chicken, I want moist and melt in your mouth skin that you can bite thru without any tough chewing. Podge isnt turning in rubber skin. You can bet the farm on that.

I usually just run the temp up a bit on the SW and move the chicken to the top rack. I really like what it does for the skin. For comp chicken I would sauce it and put it back on a lower rack for about 10 minutes to set the sauce.

Funnychickenpic.jpg

Back