Recipe request

Big slick

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hey brethren,

I have a recipe request. My wife is a huge lover of shrimp and grits. We use to go to a new orleans style restaurant by us that made a very simple down home version of shrimp and grits. That place closed up though about 3 years ago. Ever since then we have been trying to find a replacement restaurant, but none have even come close. Lots of the restaurants today mess with the classic shrimp and grits and it just tastes F'd up. So now I've taken it upon myself to make my wife her favorite meal for her birthday (2/23). I call out to you all for any KISS recipes that you may know for shrimp and grits.

A huge thank you in advance.

I have been cooking shrimp and grits most of my life but it would help if you described what she liked about the dish served at the restaurant that closed. Does she like a little heat on her shrimp or cheese in the grits?

Ill find out and let you know. I personally am not a big fan so I never taste it. I know for a fact she loves heat and cheese, but not sure I the meal itself contained it.

I think this would be simple enough.

I use the Quick Grits most of the time now. Not the instant but the 5 minute.

First I cook about 6 strips of thick cut bacon with fresh cracked pepper. I cook it in the oven on a broiler pan about 375 until crisp then I hold on paper towels. You can fry if you want but I like the way the fat renders when I cook it in the oven.

I mix the grits by the package instructions but use chicken stock instead of water. I bring the chicken stock to a boil and add the grits with a little garlic salt. I bring back to a boil and then reduce the heat to low and put the top on the pot. I have added roasted tomatoes chopped up or half a small jar of roasted pimentos (drained). I don’t have an exact amount I just eyeball. After 5 min I add processed cheddar to the color looks good. Before I serve I put a handful of shredded cheddar cheese and the crumbled bacon in the pot and stir it until mixed. Be careful and not let the grits dry out and get hard. You can take it off of the heat and let it sit for several minutes or just add chicken stock as needed. Sometimes people also add cream.

For the shrimp – I take about 25-30 large gulf shrimp – shelled and deveined. I coat them lightly with olive oil and sprinkle a light coating of Old Bay seasoning and fresh cracked pepper. (I have often used my BBQ rub too). I put them on skewers and on a medium hot grill for about 4 min. I flip them over and coat with my special sauce and grill for another 4 min. I then flip put another coat of sauce on then take off after a few minutes.

It is important to not “over cook” the shrimp – take until just opaque. The biggest way to screw shrimp up is to overcook it.

Special Sauce: 3 Tlb mayo, 2 Tlb scallions chopped fine, 11/2 Tlb Thai Sweet Chili Sauce, ½ teaspoon Shirachia. I suggest to mix this a day ahead to let the flavors meld.

I serve in a bowl with a lip and 2 skewers of shrimp with 5-6 on each.

I made shrimp and grits for the first time about 2-weeks ago, it was darn good.

Firecracker Shrimp:
1/2 lb shrimp shelled & deveined
2-3 tbls olive oil
1 tsp garlic chili paste or sambal
2 tbls sriracha
1/2 tsp garlic jelly (optional, can be replaced with 1tsp cider vinegar and 1 clove minced garlic)
Pinch of salt & pepper

Mix the wet ingredients + S & P together and pour into a ziploc bag, place shrimp in bag to marinate 15-30 minutes.

Heat a non stick skillet over med-high heat, add shrimp and marinade and cook until shrimp are just pink and opaque. Serve over grits.

For my grits I used the direction on the back of the bag but replaced the water with milk, chicken stock would be good here as well. After liquid is absorbed stir in 1/2 C or so of shredded cheddar cheese.

I made shrimp and grits for the first time about 2-weeks ago, it was darn good.

Firecracker Shrimp:
1/2 lb shrimp shelled & deveined
2-3 tbls olive oil
1 tsp garlic chili paste or sambal
2 tbls sriracha
1/2 tsp garlic jelly (optional, can be replaced with 1tsp cider vinegar and 1 clove minced garlic)
Pinch of salt & pepper

Mix the wet ingredients + S & P together and pour into a ziploc bag, place shrimp in bag to marinate 15-30 minutes.

Heat a non stick skillet over med-high heat, add shrimp and marinade and cook until shrimp are just pink and opaque. Serve over grits.

For my grits I used the direction on the back of the bag but replaced the water with milk, chicken stock would be good here as well. After liquid is absorbed stir in 1/2 C or so of shredded cheddar cheese.

And you were doing SO good right up until the instant grits...:tsk:

And you were doing SO good right up until the instant grits...:tsk:

Who said anything about instant grits? These are the grits I used, [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004VLVN78/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001KUSL1E&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0WCEXRHTPVC2FN7STKBX"]Bob's Red Mill Organic Corn Grits/Polenta, 24-Ounce (Pack of 4): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food[/ame]

They could be instant I suppose, but I'm just a silly Yank so how would I know? :laugh:

Use stone ground grits to take this dish to another level , instead of quick or instant .
Adluh and Anson mills in South Carolina produce some good old time grits . They used in shrimp and grits recipes in S.C and Low Country restaurants .

I have spent my life (short of military service) south of the Mason Dixon line and I came here to meet “grits” snobs LOL!!!

I haven’t had good grits since my momma passed away last year.
:rolleyes:

Being from South Carolina you're supposed to know 2 main things ... grits and seafood. I absolutely HATE seafood (but can stand shrimp), but my fiancee LOVES shrimp and grits.

We went to Charleston for her bday in december and went to a place called Slightly North Of Broad (called SNOBs). She got their shrimp and grits and dubbed it the greatest she's ever had (she gets them EVERYWHERE).

The waitress told us that they had the recipe for them, so we picked it up.

It wasn't the EXACT recipe, but it was pretty dang good. I even had some and thought it was amazing.

Here's the food recipe and insructions

http://onenine3bbq.blogspot.com/2013/01/shrimp-and-grits-for-snob.html

HA! Cornbread is on a whole different level – fightin words!!!!!!

I grew up on the Alabama coast so most of the State north of 1-65 considered us Yankees. My father when he went on business trips to Atlanta used to bring home tubs of stone ground grits from a mill right at the GA / SC line.

Man was that good eatin.

What... they don't have a Waffle House in Tupelo?:confused:

I have not been hungry enough to eat in the Waffle House here! :razz:

Cack adds cream to his grits, he is clearly a Yankee.

For the record, a little cream added to grits or polenta makes them so much smoother.

Back