• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Culinary Adventures on the High Plains - w/ Pr0n!

ShadowDriver

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Happy Friday, Farkers!

Just started some greatly needed time off a few hours ago, and I've got a busy weekend ahead. Thus, this is an ongoing/thread.

Task #1 for the weekend: Al Pastor - Without a Rotisserie.

I whipped up a batch of Moose's Marinade.

nv1vleYl.jpg

3DHJUVTl.jpg

kqQahx7l.jpg

Sliced up a bargain bin pork roast

gDpEIiql.jpg

baN9CHJl.jpg

Put 'em all together to get happy for the next 48 hours.

ikCx6Vkl.jpg

Moose - You didn't warn any of us that we'd want to eat/drink the marinade with a spoon vs. use it with the pork! :shock: :crazy:

DanB - There's no heat/spiciness in this with the peppers in the recipe... just a huge flavor bomb!

I can't frickin' wait to cook and eat this on Sunday!

Task #2 - Friday Night Ribeye and Sweet potato

Task #3 - Saturday Smoke on the stick burner out back that I've neglected for a couple of months.

More Shenanigans to come.

Life happens.

Spouses' Call went LONG at the office, so we checked down to pizza delivery as to get the munchkin fed and in bed before the cows come home.

I did, however open something new (to me) and delicious. Highly recommended.

aJSqbtel.jpg

Must be good stuff... :)

You weren't supposed to notice that... :rolleyes:

It's been great to pay some attention to the stick burner out back.

Next-door neighbor brought over some baby back ribs from her freezer and asked me to smoke a rack for her. Offered a rack for us for the trouble. Glad to do it.

Hers are covered half 'n half with Bone Suckin' Rub Steak and John Henry's Pecan.

Our are covered half 'n half with Kosmos Honey Chipotle Killer Bee and Lotta Bull Rib Rub.

TvtKcR6l.jpg

6Wz2d0Sl.jpg

mSTuzypl.jpg

I put a JD Hot Chub in with PC Willy's Green Chile Rub until she hit 165F, then wrapped in foil before I put her in the freezer for use in various breakfast options. - No photos. Boo.

More fun stuff to come. Hope your Saturday is going well and smoothly. Just put the munchkin down for a nap. If I wasn't smoking, I think I would happily follow suit.

Life happens.

Spouses' Call went LONG at the office, so we checked down to pizza delivery as to get the munchkin fed and in bed before the cows come home.

I did, however open something new (to me) and delicious. Highly recommended.

aJSqbtel.jpg

Now, THAT is my kind of refreshing libation. :-D

Ribs were great last night. Unexpected guests for dinner, so I got ZERO Pr0n... Boo. :doh:

Fried local Purple Okra breaded in blue cornmeal from Tucumcari.

Citrus-"cooked" Rainbow Kale

Can't wait to get that Al Pastor cooking...

My plan is to use 3-4 skewers (I have some 1/2 inch ones that should work well) to hold everything together while cooking high heat indirect (using the Vortex set off to one side of my kettle) with a pan underneath to catch drippings, and perhaps hold bits that I cut off.

I'd very much welcome thoughts and words-of-wisdom on the cooking front.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Possible change of plans on the cooking front.

I decided to browse through Lowes before the grocery this morning, and came up with a crazy notion to build my own Trompo King (instead of paying $60).

Feedback and thoughts always welcome.

Grabbed a "skillet" for the grill (with detachable handle) and added a threaded carriage bolt with a grommet attachment and wing nut to hold everything together.

yQMvChcl.jpg

Ran everything through a bath of hot soapy water. Threaded the bolt through the center-most hole in the skillet pan thing, and covered it in foil to catch the juices/drippings.

Yf4eTNxl.jpg

It was about $17 to build, and if I need to go taller, I just go grab a connecting nut and another carriage bolt, and continue upwards.

Fingers crossed.

^^^now that's a great solution to the "I want a Trompo King but ain't paying that" dilemma! :clap2: IMO those things are very cool, but the price is more than I'm willing to pay, so I'm loving this!

Citrus "cooked" rainbow kale - do tell! We're growing a little chard over here.

Hope your weekend is going well - looks like it is from here!

Here's the Kale Recipe. Doesn't have to be rainbow... just what we had in the fridge.

hAvFA5Vh.png

Interesting side note - this is a favorite of the Bud Light King. Dilly Dilly!

Back