I like your idea there JW, is the air control similar to the "Ball Valve" Method?

Thanks Bman, hopefully you can see in this photo how the slide is made. I have a support brace from the barrell to the air tube. It is about 1 1/2 - 2 inches wide. I cut a piece of 16 gauge steel so that it completely covers the air tube opening plus about 3/16 inch overhang all the way around in a teardrop shape. This provides an extension finger on the cover that I drilled a 1/4" clearance hole in and then fastened to the support brace with a 1/4" stud and wing nut. I can loosen the wing nut then move the cover to either open or close off the air tube opening to obtain the desired air flow for the cooking temp I need. I find that it is usually open less than 1/2 inch and will stay at 220 degrees throughout the cooking cycle.

picnic002-copy.jpg

I have problems out of the 'ol back from time to time that limits my bending over to adjust the conventional design UDS. As you can see there are also no ball valves to purchase. The air tube never gets hot and you can adjust the air intake cover with your bare hands. The cover on the exhaust stack stays open during the cooking cycle.

I'll try to get some better photos later this evening.

JW,

There was a guy, I think on a YouTube video, that had the same set-up. You never think about it, but draft is draft no matter where the opening.

I've played with idea of ordering a Guru adaptor and mounting it to my BDS for winter cooks. I would need some kind kind of S shaped tube, either outside or inside the cooker, so the fan would not be right on the ground (and in the snow). I haven't done it because it works so well as is.

A bigger side table, maybe removeable, is next on the list.

A bigger side table, maybe removeable, is next on the list.

I'm not going to say I wasn't paying attention this morning it church - but the thought of a side table mod did run through my mind. Trying to figure out what would be a good size.

I'm not going to say I wasn't paying attention this morning it church - but the thought of a side table mod did run through my mind. Trying to figure out what would be a good size.

This one is okay for thermometers and other gadgets. I'm thinking one that goes a quarter of the way around, following the contour of the drum and about 8" deep. I'm just not sure what I would put on it. :rolleyes:

25bbadff.jpg

no door needed

I have 6 1/2" close nipples around the bottom of my drum, usually cook with 3-4 open, depends on how much meat is on the grill. I have 8 holes in the lid, 6 are 1/2", 2 are 7/8". I drilled out two of them to get my temps a little higher
I took a charcoal grate from a a 22" kettle and welded expanded metal around it for the fire box. The grate has 3" of metal below it for air and ash, and 10" above the grate. It holds 12 pounds of charcoal, and 34 fist sized chnks of wood.
The best run I've done is 12 hours with 12 pounds of charcoal, holding 225 degrees at the meat height. You're going to love cooking on this thing, when it's time to clean out, just tip it over.
I ran to loads of charcoal with a little wood to season mine.

good drums available

If you're looking for clean food grade drums, there's a gun in las vegas selling like new drums for 20.00 on e bay.

If you're looking for clean food grade drums, there's a gun in las vegas selling like new drums for 20.00 on e bay.

Yeah, been looking at that. But shipping to me is like 45.00. I am trying to get some cheaper than 65.00. But, if I cant find them local, then......ebay it is.

when i finished mine i got it hot and rubbed veg. oil on the inside and out instead of painting mine it looks like gloss black paint i put oil in a spray bottle and started spraying

Just don't tell your friends about the UDS!
Especially don't tell them that you got a big supply of drum too!

It is hot as hell here today (94 degrees in the shade, 105 is my shop!, 95% humidity) and I have may ass out there building a drum for a friend of mine! He is on the way to help me finish. He wants to give it to has father in law for a father's day present so we are pushed to get it built. The things you do for true friends.

This is drum #11 I have built in the past year! I have all of my friends and family cooking on the drum! Brother, cousins, friends, etc.!

One thing for sure....I have a lot of "favors" that people owe me for the future!

OH YeaH! I have kept three for myself. They have been retrofitted with thermostated controlled fans so I just set and forget. (I do not built these types for friends...If they want to modify they are on their own!)

Your right thirdeye draft is draft regardless of where it comes from. I did happen to see the You Tube video, it only strengthened my thoughts about the air inlet tube. I am also using a smaller version of the Klose charcoal basket. It has 2 1/2'" legs on it to give it height, its 15" square X 6" deep design will usually provide 12 plus hours of cooking time at 220 degrees, when I close the vents and put out the fire I usually have some charcoal or lump left over, haven't let it burn fully to find out how long it would last but it could go easily go 14 maybe 16 hours.

Bman here are the photos of the covers over the air intake tube and exhaust stack, very simple to make.

UDS001-copy.jpg

UDS002-copy.jpg

As you can tell I experiment alot, here are some of the most recent ones I'm using. I have the inlet tube on all and a variety of exhaust lids, however I find that the one with the 3 inch exhaust tube seems to do best for some reason than the ones with the holes drilled in the lids. Also if your UDS sits uncovered on the patio you don't have to worry about covering it or plugging the holes to keep water out, just close the cover on the stacks.

UDS003-copy.jpg

You can never have too many smokers!:mrgreen:

Thanks JW.....Now if I could just find some cheap drums locally I'll be ready to build.

I've been shopping for a WSM trying to find the best price locally, looks like 209.00, but sounds like for 50 bucks I can make one of these baby's. Is a UDS ok for a newbie? Or is there a lot you need to know about smoking in general before trying to cook on one of these?

i have used mine three times and it keeps getting better i now have the tempature down and the meat is real good like big says set it and forget it he is right i was willing to spend big money on a smoker and didnt have to spend but 30.00 on all the hardware uds it was well worth it

I don't see how much easier you could get than a drum!!!!!!!!!!

You will be an expert in three cooks.

Well that is great, I think I may try to track down the material to make one of these too, heck for 30-50 bucks who could pass it up. Looks sweet, great thread.

Back