MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:32 AM   #1
Smokesman
Full Fledged Farker

Default Stumps/Superior owners! Comp cooking question.

We have a new Superior SS1 we debuted last weekend in Nelsonville with great results...everything cooked on it was top 10! My primary question for "seasoned" owners is how often do you add smoke wood to the firebox/ash pan and how do you do it in such a manner so you can get some quality sleep after the big cuts go on? The compact firebox burns so hot & cleanly (royal oak lump in the chute, cooking chamber at 275, 10 cfm fan assist) that even fist size and larger chunks of wood are coals inside a half hour. Larger 6 inch splits of course burn longer but still burn through quickly. For a pre-comp cook I did try adding chunks directly to the chute mixed in with the charcoal (one chunk for every 1/2 chimney full) but it seemed the ash from the wood clogged the fire grate (unlike the RO which produces very little ash) so I was jiggling the grate with some frequency to drop the ash through. For the comp I didn't want to take a chance so I set my alarm for every hour and dutifully added 2 chunks of smoke wood. The results were great but one of the reasons for the smoker was to be able to set it and go to sleep for the 3 hours+ without worry. Thoughts?
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge #54767
Weber Smokey Mountain 22 & Superior Smoker SS1

[B][COLOR="Red"]"To BBQ is human, for swine is divine!"[/COLOR][/B]
Smokesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2011, 08:55 AM   #2
southernstyle
is one Smokin' Farker

i have a stumps,and add chunks layered up through the chute. i cant recall ever having a clog at the fire grate. what size are the holes on your fire grate? if they are to small use wood chips instead of chunks or splits.

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-20-2011, 09:04 AM   #3
Goddahavit
is one Smokin' Farker

Sometimes I stay up for the first 2-3 hours, after that it has all the smoke I need on it.

Also in my stretch I started splitting my own wood, I can get a few 12 inch splits in the firebox, lasts for 1-2 hours I put on right before i lay down.
Backyard Jambo
Stump's Stretch
Bubba Keg
Weber WSM
Old weber gasser
Goddahavit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2011, 09:24 AM   #4
Smokesman
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstyle View Post
i have a stumps,and add chunks layered up through the chute. i cant recall ever having a clog at the fire grate. what size are the holes on your fire grate? if they are to small use wood chips instead of chunks or splits.
Now that I think about it I did not have the fan assist yet when I first tried adding chunks to the feed...the fire did choke. Good idea using wood chips. The fire grate on the SS1 is 11x7 with 5"x3/4" ovals plasma cut every 1/2 inch so the openings are plenty big - need to give it another shot with the fan assist doing its magic!

Old 10-20-2011, 09:37 AM   #5
southernstyle
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokesman View Post
Now that I think about it I did not have the fan assist yet when I first tried adding chunks to the feed...the fire did choke. Good idea using wood chips. The fire grate on the SS1 is 11x7 with 5"x3/4" ovals plasma cut every 1/2 inch so the openings are plenty big - need to give it another shot with the fan assist doing its magic!

a guru is definately the answer. it will keep the ash nockedmdown for you. after that put whatever you want in the chute. i use chunks and splits from friuta wood chunks. those sizes are perfect.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:02 AM   #6
AUBBQ
On the road to being a farker

As you know, these are very clean burning cookers so you need to add the right amount of wood. I never had the results I wanted using a few small chunks. I usually add 2 splits cut the length of the catch pan about 30 minutes before the meat goes on. About two hours later I add 2 more splits and go on to sleep. I use a mix of oak and hickory for the large cuts.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:12 AM   #7
Smokesman
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks South! Makes me think of another question...where do you place your fan assist temp clip in the chamber? On the ss1 the door thermo is half way between the first and second rack from the top - sticks into the chamber about 4 inches. When empty if I attach the temp clip within a couple inches on the 2nd rack (sticking up) both temps are almost identical. However, once loaded that of course changes. So far I have found clipping to the center bottom of the 2nd rack (so it is hanging about 4 inches above the 3rd rack - no meat below) is the best position. Just realized I have not tried clipping directly to the door thermo.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:23 AM   #8
southernstyle
is one Smokin' Farker

you got it. i leave clipped to the door thermo. at 225 bottom rack is the same as above at 250 its about 5 -10 higher. i cook brisket in a pan fat down so i put it on the bottom it works great. after you cook with it a while you'll get the feel where to put things. if its really loaded down like with ribs i leave the bottom rack open except a water pan.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:31 AM   #9
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Where are the pics of this new cooker? I am so jealous!

Old 10-20-2011, 12:12 PM   #10
Bourbon Barrel BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Drew

I cook hot and fast so I only need 2-3 chunks when the big cuts go on and a couple more when the chicken and ribs so go.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:13 PM   #11
indianagriller
is one Smokin' Farker

When i cooked on the Stumps gf223 i would ad chunks about 20 minutes prior to meat going on and then add new wood everytime i loaded meat onto it since my butts went on first, then brisket about 2 hours later.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:59 PM   #12
JayAre
Full Fledged Farker

I cook on a Stumps. I use 2-3 inch thick discs about 8 inch in diameter. I chop them in half. I put the first one in with the pork the second with brisket. same for short burns, 1/2 each for ribs and chicken. I put them in the ash pan below the fire. the hot coals drip through onto the wood making it more of a smolder than catching fire. eventually they do catch, but you get more smoke longer that way. I use a Stoker. I get 2-3 hours sleep between checks. I have more trouble with the charcoal "bridging" than anything else.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:38 PM   #13
Smokesman
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks all for the help! Rich - tried to post a pic but it keeps rejecting it. Marc posted a pic of the new smoker on his facebook page a few days ago. J.T. - why the move to the Jambo from the CTO? Congrats BTW!!!

Old 10-20-2011, 11:21 PM   #14
indianagriller
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokesman View Post
Thanks all for the help! Rich - tried to post a pic but it keeps rejecting it. Marc posted a pic of the new smoker on his facebook page a few days ago. J.T. - why the move to the Jambo from the CTO? Congrats BTW!!!
Easier to transport for one, two, its hard to keep the CTO up for hot and fast, its made for 225-250ish. I can get it to 275-315 (where i like to cook) but i have to crack the firebox door. From what i hear Jambos settle in between 275-300 so it fits my cooking profile... WHO AM I KIDDING!!! its freaking sweet too!

Actually, you might want to look into the Mojobrick product for the Superior. We would get 2-3 hours of good smoke off of 1/2 brick in the stumps.

Old 10-21-2011, 04:41 AM   #15
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have a similar smoker with my TnT. I find the wood does burn down fairly quick. I use wood cut about the size of a softball or a little larger. I add 2 or 3 pieces when I first fire up the butts & brisket. Then about 1.5-2hrs later I add a few more pieces and that works well. I really really good smoke and a smoke ring this way. The wood burns down to coals which in effect is "somewhat" like a stickburner and the clean smoke they burn the whole time. Granted if I wake up at 3 or 4 in the morning before my alarm I'll throw another piece in there for good measure .

Tags
stumps, Superior