Bigmista Balcony Barrel Smoker II

Bigmista

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Bentley and I had a great time working on the new Barrel Smoker. I showed up at Bentley's place at about 9am with my nice green barrel, some hardware that Norcoredneck picked up for me and a pallet that I got for free from an auto body shop around my house.

When I got out to Bentley's, we decided the the best plan was to burn the paint out of the inside of the barrel first. Bentley pulled out the chainsaw and cut the pallet into pieces and despite his sister's reservations we started a fire in the barrel.

Barrel001.jpg

It was interesting how the paint on the outside burned off. Looked like a Jamaican Fire Barrel.

Barrel002.jpg

Well as the fire was burning good and hot and the paint was starting to come off in the bottom of the barrel, we heard fire engines in the distance.

Barrel003.jpg

Bentley's sister, not in the mood for a $5000 fine, made us put the fire out. Of course when we hit the fire with a hose, it sent up a big plume of steam which freaked her out even more.

Ironically, the fire engines weren't even coming in our direction but there was no way she was going to let us start another fire so we moved on to plan B, the wire brush. This slowed us down a bit but after an hour or so with Bentley's head stuck in the barrel (I did some too!) we got most of the paint out of the inside.

Barrel006.jpg

In the meantime Bentley was working on a small catering job. I thoughtfully brought a small token of my brethren appreciation. This is Bentley rolling a double fatty...

Barrel004.jpg

The Traeger was chugging along...

Barrel005.jpg

Next we got to work drilling holes for the bolts that would hold the grates and the airflow valves. We went with Norco's idea of using pipe fitting for the air intake.

Barrel007.jpg

Barrel009.jpg

I couldn't find a 30 gallon drum to use for an ash pan so I came up with the idea of using a terra cotta flower pot saucer to catch the ashes.

Barrel011.jpg

The charcoal basket became the bane of our existence. Our plan was to go to a metal shop and buy some expanded metal and fabricate one. Who know that all of the metal shops were closed the day after Good Friday? We couldn't find anything open and home depot was too expensive. We found some sheet metal that was thin enough to bend but it was also too thin to weld.

Bentley eventually found some scrap around his place and we pieced together a charcoal box.

Barrel012.jpg

We had a great lunch with the family of baby backs, cole slaw, fruit salad, beans, biscuits and choco cake. By this time we were too tired to add the handles and paint it but I figure I can handle that. It'll make me feel like I had something to do with the construction.

Thanks Bentley for all of your help! I really appreciate it!

Lookin Good Mista.....Cant wait to see the finished Product !!

What is the spacing on the Cooking Grates?...Bottom Grate from fire and distance between them...if ya dont mind my asking...and the top Grate from the top of drum?

Last edited by a moderator:
Neil is a good apprentice! I will work with him anytime, Man for somthing so simple, a Fattie is Outstanding!

Neil, did you do the second burn? Did it knock out that remaining paint?

Nice post Mista.......keep us updated!!

It looks good but for any future barrel burnouts you may do, I have two words, weed burner. It will burn both inside and out just by burning the outside, much faster and will not attract the fire department. but it will still probably scare the bejesus out of your sister. ;-)
Dave

Lookin Good Mista.....Cant wait to see the finished Product !!

What is the spacing on the Cooking Grates?...Bottom Grate from fire and distance between them...if ya dont mind my asking...and the top Grate from the top of drum?

The top grate is about 5.5 inches from the top. The second grate is about the same distance below that.

Neil is a good apprentice! I will work with him anytime, Man for somthing so simple, a Fattie is Outstanding!

Neil, did you do the second burn? Did it knock out that remaining paint?

Not yet. Probably do it tonite after I get back from M-I-L's house for dinner. I want to put handle on first so I can toss the lid on and smother it if it gets out of hand.

It looks good but for any future barrel burnouts you may do, I have two words, weed burner. It will burn both inside and out just by burning the outside, much faster and will not attract the fire department. but it will still probably scare the bejesus out of your sister. ;-)
Dave

That was what I wanted to do but neither one of us had a propane tank.

Neil is this yours or Bents?
See you at the Autry

Last edited:
That was what I wanted to do but neither one of us had a propane tank.[/quote]

Since nither of us has a propane tank does that make us real Q'ers? :icon_shy

Just a word about the flower pot saucer....... I have one that is upside-down that I put my chimney starter on and one day I let the chimney sit burning for longer than usual and the thing cracked open completely across it.
So it may not survive a full charcoal basket burning for many hours.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep an eye out for that.

I have two BDS there is no pan in the bottom
Yes its helps clean up but one could go without it

Pretty charcoal basket.

Neil,

You need to get Meat Burner to do your welding. Now that's A firebox...I gotta start praticing more with them sticks!

I'm confused about the distance between the charcoal basket and the lowest grate.

Everyone is telling me "at least 24" above the charcoal grate. I hope they mean the bottom of the charcoal basket, not the top of the coals. I don't see how you can get two grates into a 33" barrel any other way.

I got the pipe nipples installed today.. gettin' closer. :)

B

Looks good Neil! How many air intakes do you have in the bottom? Also what is the pipe nipple midway up the drum for, another intake?

Brian

Thanks for the report and the pics. I know I was becopming a pain with the texting and IM'ing, but I really was interested in this project. Don't forget to finish the project and keep us well informed. Will the maiden voyage be at the Autry, or will you be able to squeeze in a cook prior to the event?

Looks good Neil! How many air intakes do you have in the bottom? Also what is the pipe nipple midway up the drum for, another intake?

Brian
There are three air intake valves on the bottom including one with a ball valve. The extra pipe nipple is to stick a pole or something thru to jiggle the charcoal box to shake the ash free.

Back