MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:51 AM   #1
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default Masterbuilt electric smoker?

Been looking at the Masterbuilt electric smoker for those days I just don't fell like fire tending and also for smoking cheese and curing sausage. Anyone know what the temperature range is? I am not so concerned about the high temp but need to know if it will go low enough to smoke cheese.
Dave

Old 11-19-2009, 01:58 AM   #2
cookingdude555
Full Fledged Farker

I have one. I know the max is 275, and I believe it will go as low as 150. I like the masterbuilt, but cleanup is more of a challenge than m wsm or egg. Egg cleans itself, wsm can be left alone or sprayed out. This seems a bit more delicate. I have disconnected the control panel and sprayed it out a few times, but I know I am tempting fate and will probably ruin it one of these days.

I am prety sure you can maintain lower temps with I though. You getting the 4 rack one with the window? Enourmous cooking area in that thing.
cookingdude555 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2009, 02:05 AM   #3
Mo-Dave

No it is a smaller one 30in digital control and no see through window it sells for 229.00 but I may be able to get it on one of those day after thanksgiving 5 hour sales for 129.00.
Dave

Old 11-19-2009, 04:18 AM   #4
Rylos1
Full Fledged Farker

I have two. I like them. The high temp is 275 and the low is 100. The problem with the low is that it will smoke when the heating element is on and then when it reaches 100, no smoke. I use the water pan with ice in it, put cheese on the grate directly above it and set the temp at about 130. You can pull the grates out and wash in the dishwasher. The interior, the manual says to just wipe it out, so that is what I do.
Big Steel Keg
22.5" WSM
Rylos1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2009, 05:37 AM   #5
aquablue22
Babbling Farker

I Have one that I have made mods to, added a vent in the lid, which they did for the newer model and also added a smoke pistol to generate smoke, because I could never get enough smoke generated for my liking. I use it for those time we I want to set it and forget it! Works great. 125 is a great price. On clean up, I rinse everything off and into the dishwasher, racks pans, drip and and just wipe the inside down.
2 - 18.5 Weber Kettle
1 - WSM Mini

I live in fear that my Wife will sell all my "TOYS" when I die for WHAT I told her I paid for them!!
aquablue22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2009, 07:01 AM   #6
boatnut
is One Chatty Farker

i bought my stainless model from cabela's. I like it a lot. Originally purchased for just doing sausage and snack sticks but have done butts and other things on it and they come out great. lowest temp setting is 100 degrees

GOSM smoker (gas)
Masterbuilt (electric)
Weber Kettle
Weber Gasser (2)
Weber WSM

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me then a frontal lobotomy
boatnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2009, 08:28 AM   #7
maxwell7
Full Fledged Farker

Amazon.com has one for 194.00 w/ free shipping!
maxwell7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2009, 09:03 AM   #8
mgwerks
Full Fledged Farker

Black Friday ad for Bass Pro Shops / Outdoor World shows it for $129 again this year - starting at 6Am, limited qty. Get in line early...

Old 11-19-2009, 09:29 AM   #9
Mo-Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgwerks View Post
Black Friday ad for Bass Pro Shops / Outdoor World shows it for $129 again this year - starting at 6Am, limited qty. Get in line early...
Yep thats the one. I was there on the 17th though and they did not have this model to look at that then and of course they wont tell me how many units they will have. I am 80 miles from them and not sure if I want to take the chance except a store next to them also has a Smoke Hallow electric for 165.00 but its not as nice and once again not sure about the low heat setting it just says, low, med, high.
Dave

Old 11-19-2009, 11:29 AM   #10
jkd9977
Got Wood.

I had one, it worked well, until it melted down on an overnight cook and damn near burnt my house down! Thank god it tripped a breaker otherwise it would not have been good. Ruined my ABT's too...

I have pics of it if anyone would like to see them.
jkd9977 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2009, 11:49 AM   #11
Paul B
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkd9977 View Post
I had one, it worked well, until it melted down on an overnight cook and damn near burnt my house down! Thank god it tripped a breaker otherwise it would not have been good. Ruined my ABT's too...

I have pics of it if anyone would like to see them.
No pics, didn't happen!!!

Paul B
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote