Smart Chicken

big matt

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
What do you guys think of it?..I love it and it was some of the quickest trimming I've done yet..now we just need it on the grocery store shelf out here.

We have it here in NE and I will be using it next weekend at my first comp. We will let you know how it goes.

They ship Matt - It comes very fresh and the shipping cost isnt bad. I've had it shipped and it arrived quickly and very cold!

Is it that much better than the Tyson you get from Sam's? Just curious as I'm preparing my battle plan to get ready for Weston this weekend.

They ship Matt - It comes very fresh and the shipping cost isnt bad. I've had it shipped and it arrived quickly and very cold!
Thx Joe we got more coming..I had been hearing about it before we got to Iowa..go into hy-vee and there it is on the shelf lucky to have it in the store there..I just like to dig through the packs but it seems it's really not needed with this stuff..I think I only had one or two little ones out of two family packs

Is it that much better than the Tyson you get from Sam's? Just curious as I'm preparing my battle plan to get ready for Weston this weekend.

If by better than Tyson you mean nice even pieces,good skin,not slimy and real fresh(no smell at all)..then yes is my answer..all kidding aside it's great stuff no doubt about it

If I have to purchase from the grocery store thats what I always go with. High quality, consistent product.

Not bad stuff. The 4-packs in stores up here sell it for just over $5 so it is pricey.

How big are the pieces in the 4-packs that they ship? I'm asking only because the 4-packs on their website show the weight as 1lb. Since I'm usually looking for 4-packs closer to 2lbs, I don't want to be stuck with a bunch of small pieces.

I'm in Des Moines for the day with the Hy-Vee a block from my Hotel. I would love to buy a pack and see how easy it is to prep, but I have no way to cook it or get it home....Thanks for the heads up!

dmp

dmp....you need a wsm for the night?? :becky:

I don't think that anything with the name "smart" in it would mesh very well with my team's style.

Seriously though, I'd try it if there were a local retailer.

Don't care for it. Those always come with the wing-tip cut off (I've heard that's a delicacy in China?).

Lynn H.

Thx Joe we got more coming..I had been hearing about it before we got to Iowa..go into hy-vee and there it is on the shelf lucky to have it in the store there..I just like to dig through the packs but it seems it's really not needed with this stuff..I think I only had one or two little ones out of two family packs

Matt, their website shows two places in Palm Springs that carries that brand.
I have a couple of places by me that I'm going to hit up...

Smart has organic and veg-fed. The veg-fed is cheaper than the organic. Main difference is in the treatment method during processing. I like it, for comps and for eating at home. I hate that they cut the wing tip off the whole chickens. You can't use it in IBCA because of that.

you need a wsm for the night??

Park it at the Drury on Mills Civic and I'll take care of the rest. I'll also need a cutting board, kitchen shears, santoku, and pairing knife please. I'll get started as soon as I get back from Altoona ;-)

dmp

I quit using it some time ago as I kept getting bones in the thighs that were basically fractured/broken. I liked the taste, but for the cost, I didn't like having that much waste.

I say give it a shot, but check the bones closely.

I quit using it some time ago as I kept getting bones in the thighs that were basically fractured/broken. I liked the taste, but for the cost, I didn't like having that much waste.

I say give it a shot, but check the bones closely.

Your the 3rd person I've heard that from..but lately the problem seems to have been fixed.

How big are the pieces in the 4-packs that they ship? I'm asking only because the 4-packs on their website show the weight as 1lb. Since I'm usually looking for 4-packs closer to 2lbs, I don't want to be stuck with a bunch of small pieces.

When I have gotten them in the past they were generally about the same size as what is in the store that week - here that usually means betweek 1.6-2.0 pounds per. I think the 1 LB is a cover their butt number

Back