MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:47 PM   #1
PorkQPine
Full Fledged Farker

Default Mac & Cheese - Not happy with current one.

I am not that happy with my mac & cheese so I was hoping I would get some interesting recipes here. I can scale up or down as needed but I usually cook for 100 so getting something that is not your usual mac & cheese without a lot of work is problematic.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:53 PM   #2
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

What don't you like about yours? And what do you do to make it?

For a basic macaroni and cheese...

I use your basic elbow macaroni, 2 pounds uncooked, and I cook it just under al dente. I believe it will cook and soften some more in the oven or cooker.

I use a cheese sauce, consisting of 4 tablespoons of butter and 4 tablespoons of AP flour to make a roux, blonde and not darker, add 2 cups half & half or 1 cup half & half and 1 cup whole milk. I have even used 2 cups of milk, it doesn't really matter all that much. I then add 1 cup of grated cheese, I use equalish parts of cheddar, gruyere and jack cheese. Melt the cheese in the milk sauce and that is the cheese sauce. I season heavily with black pepper. Enhancements would be to add nutmeg, cardamom or some herbs like parsley and thyme to the roux prior to adding the milk.

I then toss the two elements, pasta and sauce together until well coated, turn into a greased pan (for home or buffet, I use stainless, for catering or parties, I go disposable aluminum). Into cooker for 30 mins. at 350F. Then pull, top with 1 cup crushed Italian herb or Herb butter croutons that have been crushed to a texture about the size of large grained sand. Drizzle with olive oil and back into cooker until bread crumbs are carmelized and edges are dried up a bit.

Let sit for 10 minutes, then serve. A little fresh parsley, fresh ground black pepper, ground nutmeg on top goes a long ways.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 03-12-2012, 08:14 PM   #3
PorkQPine
Full Fledged Farker

I like your style. I'll try since it already looks better than mine. I will probably add some Asiago to the cheese sauce and top the croutons with parmesian.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:29 PM   #4
landarc

Both excellent additions, wasn't sure how much base cost you wanted to add.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Old 03-13-2012, 12:10 AM   #5
fireman_pete
Full Fledged Farker

Here is our recipe, I am really happy with it. Just catered a party this weekend with it, and got rave reviews.

60 servings (large foil pan)

· 3 16oz bags of XL Elbow Pasta
· 6 cans of cheddar cheese soup
· 3 cups of milk
· 1/2 stick Velveeta
· 3 TSP Salt
· 3 TSP Pepper
· 1.5 TSP Gran Garlic
· 1.5 TSP Gran Onion
· 8 cups shredded cheese
· Top with crushed goldfish cracker

cook the pasta to al dente, put in foil pan. In a sauce pan combine the soup, milk, velveta and spices. Once melted, add to noodles and mix. Top with shredded cheese and goldfish crackers. Cook in the smoker at 300 for about an hour. Sometimes I will also add cooked bacon.
fireman_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 03-13-2012, 12:11 AM   #6
fireman_pete
Full Fledged Farker

We like our recipe as it is easy to cook on-site too!
Thanks from:--->
Old 03-13-2012, 09:41 PM   #7
PorkQPine
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman_pete View Post
We like our recipe as it is easy to cook on-site too!

That looks good too. I'll try them all, keep them coming.

Thanks guys, you're sure inventive.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:59 AM   #8
trohrs123
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman_pete View Post
Here is our recipe, I am really happy with it. Just catered a party this weekend with it, and got rave reviews.

60 servings (large foil pan)

· 3 16oz bags of XL Elbow Pasta
· 6 cans of cheddar cheese soup
· 3 cups of milk
· 1/2 stick Velveeta
· 3 TSP Salt
· 3 TSP Pepper
· 1.5 TSP Gran Garlic
· 1.5 TSP Gran Onion
· 8 cups shredded cheese
· Top with crushed goldfish cracker

cook the pasta to al dente, put in foil pan. In a sauce pan combine the soup, milk, velveta and spices. Once melted, add to noodles and mix. Top with shredded cheese and goldfish crackers. Cook in the smoker at 300 for about an hour. Sometimes I will also add cooked bacon.
for the Velveeta, is that the small or large sized one?

Extreme BBQ Trailer
2 Humphrey Pints and Half Pint, 2 Cubed Pints
18" WSM, Hasty Bake Ranger, Weber Performer
Old No 7
trohrs123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:28 AM   #9
EatonHoggBBQ
Babbling Farker

I have about the same recipe as landarc but add 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder to it.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:28 PM   #10
landarc

So, garlic and/or onion in mac-n-cheese, I go back and forth on this, I really like to use finely choopped onions and garlic in my, for my own consumption. However, I have had comments that there is a funny taste from some folks, so I err on not adding it, or adding very little, when serving to a large number of people. Plus, I know that garlic and onion can be a 'non-starter' for some folks, and I like to leave a safe-option dish when I am serving other folks.

For strictly home and family, I usually add 1/4 cup each of finely chopped celery and onion, a couple to three cloves of salt crushed garlic and some parsley and tarragon minced up to the roux cooking stage.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Old 03-14-2012, 02:36 PM   #11
fireman_pete
Full Fledged Farker

Large one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trohrs123 View Post
for the Velveeta, is that the small or large sized one?
Old 03-14-2012, 02:51 PM   #12
bigabyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
So, garlic and/or onion in mac-n-cheese, I go back and forth on this, I really like to use finely choopped onions and garlic in my, for my own consumption. However, I have had comments that there is a funny taste from some folks, so I err on not adding it, or adding very little, when serving to a large number of people. Plus, I know that garlic and onion can be a 'non-starter' for some folks, and I like to leave a safe-option dish when I am serving other folks.

For strictly home and family, I usually add 1/4 cup each of finely chopped celery and onion, a couple to three cloves of salt crushed garlic and some parsley and tarragon minced up to the roux cooking stage.
I recently had some mac and cheese from a restaurant of good repute, with real chefs and all fresh food. They said that their mac and cheese was a real favorite among customers and one they took pride in, so my wife and I ordered a side of it to go along with everything else so we could try it out.

In addition to garlic and onion, they used peppers as well, the flavor was unmistakable. It was good, I enjoyed it, but at the same time the pepper flavor, although somewhat subtle, was so striking you couldn't get around it really, and it did not harken back to good old fashioned homemade mac and cheese because of it.

Just thought I would share. I did like it though. My wife didn't however.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:56 PM   #13
landarc

Oh, I did have a great macaroni-n-cheese, it had finely chopped jalapenos and parsley, it was terrific. Spicy, too spicy for some of the folks eating though. But, man, was it good stuff. There was just enough for a piece or two of finely chopped jalapeno in each bite. So good. But, there would be some folks that would/could not eat it.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Old 03-21-2012, 07:58 PM   #14
Bearbonez
On the road to being a farker

Fontina cheese ass a nice depth to mac and cheese along with whatever else you are using. There a ton of recipes that will make a great mac. The one thing I don't do anymore is use bread crumbs or bake. I find a good pan mac and cheese stays creamier for longer.For an added texture, try toasting panko crumbs with some butter and add a little parsley toward the end in a pan and sprinkle on top of each serving.

Gator BYCC 24"
Weber 22.5" kettle
Bearbonez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:11 AM   #15
wajski
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default mac& cheese

try this 4 cheese smoked mac&cheese www.dadgumthatsgood.com I tried this now we make 3# at a time give some away freeze some. I hope this is ok to post, if no my apolageeze Walt
wajski is offline   Reply With Quote