Traditional Xmas meat treat

billygbob

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Its not smoked but for us here white trash folk its good Xmas eats -- Mincemeat Pie (not that bottled, fruity stuff in the grocery store)!

Mincemeat, aged over one year - 3lb shoulder roast braised with beef stock, cloves, peppercorns, and age-old secret ingredients then cooked down with apples, cherries, raisins, currents, gooseberries (t'aint white trash without them gooseberries from the 'bottoms), and beef suet.
photo20081224-153848-0003.jpg

Close up - Mmmmmmmmmmmm
photo20081224-153824-0002.jpg

I did say pie (sorry, I missed the shot after the top crust was on)
photo20081224-154944-0005.jpg

While the pie's a-baken', "pie candy" - crust trimmin's seasoned with cinnamon sugar (sorry, no cayenne)
photo20081224-160340-0008.jpg

treats done
photo20081224-161644-0009.jpg

and pie
photo20081224-165328-0012.jpg

Its in foil so I can take it to my Dad for Xmas, supposedly eating it after the double smoked ham (off the UDS); now that's Xmas eating. (And oyster stew later, just because.)

The SaucyWench and I both wish y'all a Merry Christmas. Smoke one for us! <BillyG> :tongue:

Cant say I've tried it, but now that I saw it, bring it on!

Hundreds or Thousands of WT cant be wrong, can they?

Oops, missed a crutial ingrediant

How do you age it for the year?

There's also a GOOD pint+ of whiskey (I like Jack Daniels myself) stirred in after the whole mass is simmered to the right consistency (4-6+hrs) then cooled. Traditionally, it it goes in a stone crock in the root cellar or the far side of the cold house; me, I use multiple layers of zipper storage bags in the veggie drawer of the fridge (not like I put fresh green things in there anyway).

That much alcohol after its cooled -- it NEEDS to sit for at least a year so its not "meat shooters".

My recipe is my Mother's "from memory" recipe of her mother's "from memory" recipe of her mother's recipe. My Granddad loved the stuff - an ornery ol' cuss that kept a bottle in the rafters above the corn crib (and one in the hen house, jus' in case) and took his daily nap on an oak bench with a brick as a pillow. (Bless his calloused soul.) They made their own butter (that was in the 1960s still), killed, plucked, and cooked a chicken EVERY Sunday, and made pie crusts with lard from the hogs they butchered. (I'm still waiting to inherit at least one of the rendering pots - 300 or more pounds of cast iron).

So much for old memories. Have a great holiday (even if it is with store-bought mincemeat). <BGB>

I do love me some mincemeat pie. Not many folks around anymore that can make it right. If that pie right there had a big J on it I would assume it was mine and eat the whole thing.:mrgreen:

Back