11 Year Old Nephew and Smoking

GMDGeek

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
So during the summer break, due to stuff going on with his family, my 11 year old nephew is spending a few weeks with us and has taken a huge interest in my passion for BBQ. So far he has learned that Grilling is not BBQing (direct heat vs indirect). He has learned how to build a fire in my R&O stick burner, in my Mini-WSM, and how to use the Traeger.

So for Christmas I am thinking of building him his own Mini-WSM. Wondering what y'all's thoughts are and what accessories you would get him. I am also getting him copies of a couple of my favorite books that helped me get started (Smokin' with Myron Mixon and Wicked Good Barbecue by Andy Husbands & Christ Hart). I'll be throwing in some rubs and sauces but am curious as to what else you would do.

Little back ground - His first passion is to be a veterinarian, but his second passion is all things food. I have to love this combination and we've had many a joke about it. He is pretty responsible and as this is the 3rd time he has been at our place and been totally into it I am really excited to set him up. Hell, I woke up at 3am on a Sunday morning and caught him watching all my DVR'd episodes of Pitmaster and Pit Wars. He was upset they didn't go in order, I had to explain that I only kept the episodes I liked and that I thought I could learn from.

So my list as of right now:
- MINI-WSM (gotta figure out what logo to put on it)
- 2 Cook Books
- Some of my Rubs and Sauces
- Charcoal and Wood Chunks (Apple and Pecan)
- 5 lbs Fire Extinguisher
- Tongs
- Hand held digital temp probe
- Foil

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Gerry

Yeah, 'Ove Gloves or welding gloves......most useful........

Great that he's gettin' into it so young !!!!

I think what you are doing is tremendous. Obviously he enjoys it, and all of this is a great way to learn responsibility. What you are doing now is something that will be powerful memory his whole life.

A mini-WSM is PERFECT for him!

I think that it's fantastic that you are encouraging his interest in grilling and smoking. You never know where it can take him. I have a nephew who is 14 and he loves bikes, football, and cooking. He is a better cook than his Mom, and he says he wants to own his own restaurant one day!! He wants to go to culinary school.

When kids have an interest that they're good at, it helps to keep them focused, and it builds up their self esteem. It's important when kids get into the higher grades in school because of all the negative influences during the teenage years.

I would agree on the addition of the gloves, but why not make him some copies of the Pitmasters you have saved. If you can learn from them so can he...

When they're interviewing him one day about barbecue, he'll tell the television audience how he got started. You gotta dream big!!!!!

Thanks everyone ... gloves added and I really do hope to keep his passions alive.

Taked getting used to havingy 18 month old on his plastic grill while I cook and having my nephew next to me too. Love it all, good times.

Back