MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:02 AM   #1
Grimm5577
is One Chatty Farker

Default Kettle Fried Chicken, Acorn Squash, and Fried Green Tomatoes

After seeing a bunch of people using this fancy chicken breadings and raving about how good they are, I had to finally give it a try.

I sliced up some Green Tomatoes.
They got an egg wash and then battered with House of Autry Chicken Breading with some corn meal mixed in. They were then fried for about 4-5 minutes (until golden) and set to drain.(I deep fried these in a cast iron pan, no grilling here sorry)

The Acorn Squash was sliced up, de-seeded, drizzeled some olive oil over it, then sprinkeled some Plowboys Fins and Feathers rub, and then gave it a good coating of brown sugar. Wrapped it up in foil and onto the grill. (indirect at around 350* (sorry no pics)

I used some thighs and wings for the kettle fried chicken, first they recieved a healthy rub of some Plowboy's Yardbird and was allowed to rest with that for about 40 minutes. I then breaded them with a mix of house of Autry and Andy's Chicken Breaders. (Side note: Andy's Mild Chicken breader has a really good flavor with some heat similar to say KFC, where House of Autry's is much milder and silkier but still has great flavors.)
Then on to the grill

I didn't have much in-direct room so I used my kettle pizza collar and a spare grill grate to create a second tier for the chicken. I wasn't thrilled about having chicken above anything else so i put a foil cover over the foiled acorn squash to prevent the juices of chicken to fall into the squash.

Here we are all plated up, Fried Green Tomatoes got a splash of some ranch dressing, ate everything else as is.

This was my first time making kettle fried chicken, but i have to say it's soo farking good, you guys weren't lying. I devoured the chicken.

I've never had Acorn squash before but it was awesome, fork tender, sweet from brown sugar, great flavor. The leftovers will be made into some mashed acorn sqaush tonight.

The fried green tomatoes, well what can you say, they are just so delectable, especially with some ranch!
Grimm5577 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2014, 09:40 AM   #2
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

You had me with the chicken. THEN...you added fried green tomatoes. HEAVEN!
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-21-2014, 09:50 AM   #3
T&S BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I've got to try that chicken, that's the second time I've seen that. It looks super, then the crisp on those green tomatoes, Wow!

Peoria Custom Cooker, Brinkman Smokin Pit,
Webber 22 1/2" Kettle,Smokin-it #3,Smoky Joe,Orange super fast Thermapen ,Awesome Brethren Mini, 18.5" WSM, Blackstone Pizza oven, Weber Genesis Premium Grill, Blackstone 36" stainless steel griddle, Stainless UDS
T&S BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2014, 10:10 AM   #4
c farmer
Babbling Farker

Very nice, I have to try that chicken.

Gold mini wsm 1st gen mes, amazin dust and pellet smoker, and the uds.

Double O' Seven == Rotisserie/Grill/Smoker Hybrid and offset.
c farmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2014, 10:38 AM   #5
midwest_kc
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joel

Very nice! Love me some KFC!

Old 07-21-2014, 10:44 AM   #6
Thingfish
is One Chatty Farker

Great job on that meal!
Thermoworks Smoke, Red "Backlit" Thermopen, Red ChefAlarm, Red Thermopop
Thingfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2014, 11:30 AM   #7
MisterChrister
Quintessential Chatty Farker

That looks stupendous!

Old 07-21-2014, 01:06 PM   #8
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Who needs KFC when you got that? Very nice.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2014, 03:58 PM   #9
Toni1948
On the road to being a farker

Your plate looks so good!! I love everything you prepared. If you can get Latin or Caribbean produce, check out Boniato. It's like a sweet potato, and it is delicious!!
Toni1948 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2014, 04:33 PM   #10
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

I like a smoker fried but i'd hit that hard!

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2014, 07:26 PM   #11
Grimm5577
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni1948 View Post
Your plate looks so good!! I love everything you prepared. If you can get Latin or Caribbean produce, check out Boniato. It's like a sweet potato, and it is delicious!!
Thanks Toni, you are too kind. I will look for that stuff, I love trying new things. A friend introduced me to yucca a few years back, which i love. But From what you describe and the brief research i did Boniato looks awesome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post
I like a smoker fried but i'd hit that hard!
Well the UDS is finally getting painted. Took it apart on saturday, applied a rust converter sunday, primed with 2000 degree paint today, hopefully first cot tomorrow, then start on the flames
Grimm5577 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2014, 08:50 AM   #12
fantomlord
is One Chatty Farker

nice looking plate!