MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 07-20-2013, 02:50 PM   #16
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

Start a full chimney on a turkey cooker or however ya want. Dump said chimney into a 1/2 sheet pan. Pull the fire tray out of your cooker and set the 1/2 sheet of lit coals on the ash pan and close it up. Set the guru to your desired temp. While the cooker heats up, get your fire tray filled with coals and wood leaving a void in the corner where the fan blows. When the cooker reaches 200 Add hot tap water. At 220 replace 1/2 sheet pan of lit coals with your fire tray putting 10-15 hot coals in the void. When the cooker gets to within 10 degrees of your cooking temp. Damper down the guru.
I do it this way cause I dont have to use my cooking fuel to heat up the cooker then.
I also use Briquettes as I think lump burns too hot and less consistant.

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 07-20-2013, 03:22 PM   #17
rxcellentq
On the road to being a farker

We use a fatboy. I always load the coal basket full leaving only a well in the front right corner for a well lit chimney load. then I bring the cooker up to temp with the right side vent about 1/2" open. once up to temp I close down the vent and switch to the guru
rxcellentq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2013, 03:34 PM   #18
sdbbq1234
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineMaster View Post
Start a full chimney on a turkey cooker or however ya want. Dump said chimney into a 1/2 sheet pan. Pull the fire tray out of your cooker and set the 1/2 sheet of lit coals on the ash pan and close it up. Set the guru to your desired temp. While the cooker heats up, get your fire tray filled with coals and wood leaving a void in the corner where the fan blows. When the cooker reaches 200 Add hot tap water. At 220 replace 1/2 sheet pan of lit coals with your fire tray putting 10-15 hot coals in the void. When the cooker gets to within 10 degrees of your cooking temp. Damper down the guru.
I do it this way cause I dont have to use my cooking fuel to heat up the cooker then.
I also use Briquettes as I think lump burns too hot and less consistant.
I think I read your comments on another thread and forgot about it.

However, I am making a written note of this! This seems like a great idea and I gotta give it a try. I really like the idea of getting the smoker body itself up to temp and then adding hot water, then, putting the fuel basket in with a full load.

It usually takes me about 2 hours to get up to stable cooking temps (no big hurry) and by then, have used a lot of fuel. This should give me a bunch of extra time as well as not having to replenish the water any sooner.

Thanks!!

wallace

- Life Is Good But BBQ Is Better
- BWS - Fat Boy
- WSM 22.5
- A bunch on other outdoor cooking stuff.
- KCBS CBJ# 58657
- MABA Member

"Take luck!"
sdbbq1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2013, 09:16 PM   #19
Big Ugly's BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbbq1234 View Post
Another thing I learned, is to bring the unit up to temp slowly.. Get it up to 150, then 180, then 200, then 225-235 which is where I try to cook at.

wallace
Gee, I wonder where you learned that???

Seriously though, that will help you, also take a looks at your charcoal. Depending on the brand, it may burn faster than necessary.....

Old 07-20-2013, 10:02 PM   #20
sdbbq1234
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ugly's BBQ View Post

Seriously though, that will help you, also take a looks at your charcoal. Depending on the brand, it may burn faster than necessary.....
Oh, fark!!!

wallace

- BWS - Fat Boy
- WSM 22.5
- KCBS CBJ# 58657
- MABA Member

"Take luck!"

Old 07-20-2013, 10:08 PM   #21
sdbbq1234
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ugly's BBQ View Post

Notice I did say, "I learned"........

wallace

- BWS - Fat Boy
- WSM 22.5
- KCBS CBJ# 58657
- MABA Member

"Take luck!"

Old 07-21-2013, 12:23 AM   #22
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

I'm still fairly new to running a Backwoods, but am I the only one letting thr pit come up to temp with the meat in it?
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2013, 12:34 AM   #23
coondogbbq

I don't. I let it come up to temp and line out a little while first.
coondogbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2013, 08:14 AM   #24
Big Ugly's BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

No worries Don, its all good!

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-21-2013, 09:35 AM   #25
Mad About Que

bricks? on the brethren? prepare yourself for excommunication.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit R View Post
about 10 lb. of charcoal and light an absolute minimum number of briquettes, about 10 in a chimney (yes I use briquettes and this isn't intended to be a discussion on briquettes vs. lump).

Old 07-21-2013, 09:42 AM   #26
Mad About Que

I run guru'd G2 Party and Chubby. My set up is lump charcoal with a couple of those weber starter cubes in the front right corner. get that going for a few minutes, then slide it in and shut the door. guru on for 250 (or 275) top vent wide open, side vent about 1/2. when I hit 200, I start bumping the side closed every few minutes. when I hit 230-240, side vent is cracked, exhaust gets closed to halfway. on the party, the highest i'll get on setting of 250 is 260. that's close enough for BBQ. could get it closer if I cared to manage the exhaust more.. oh, empty water pan until it hits 200. then warm water if I can. i'm usually up to temp in 45-60 minutes. my stickburner could take 2 hours to settle in. so i'm not complaining.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:09 PM   #27
Hot Wachulas

right after I light the corner of the charcoal I'll take the torch and burn off the grates inside the smoker. Give them a good scrub and heat up the cook chamber in the process. Cooker is up to temp in 10 minutes.
Hot Wachulas is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-21-2013, 08:08 PM   #28
musicmanryann
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Que View Post
bricks? on the brethren? prepare yourself for excommunication.
An all-natural briquette is great for an even, steady burn. Best of both worlds, imo.
CBJ #50801
6 WSM's
2 Weber Kettles
FEC100
2 Backwoods Fatboy
2 Not-so-Ugly Drum Smokers from Gateway BBQ Store
[URL="http://s674.photobucket.com/albums/vv102/Ryannewstrom/Jambo%20--%20The%20Orange%20Monster/"]Jambo -- The Orange Monster[/URL]
[URL="http://www.bigtzbbq.com/#!__main/links"]www.bigtzbbq.com[/URL]
Join our [URL="http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=logo#/group.php?gid=101606657515&ref=ts"]facebook group[/URL]
musicmanryann is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-22-2013, 05:02 AM   #29
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I run my fan about 1/2, exhaust wide open always...watch for too much burn, over shoot temps then, so warm box with water 25 * below your cooking temp..once reached load up and re-set your temp to cooking temp..the guru learns your box...dont mess with you vents, the only vent used is the fans..keep it simple as once I load with meat about 11 pm, I will have another beer and climb in my camper...check on it about 3 or 4 am

Old 07-22-2013, 07:01 AM   #30
smokeisgood
is one Smokin' Farker

Sounds like a lot of work Tom...I dunno, maybe you should go back to the Jambo. I'll be over to pick up the Backwoods and get it out of your hair...