Planning a insulated vertical smoker build

jmlay

Found some matches.
As the subject indicates I am planning a smoker build. This will be an insulated cabinet with coal chute, I guess you could call this a Stumps or Superior clone. The plan is to have about 12 cubic feet of of cooking space.

With the above said how do I calculate the size of the ash box/fire box? Am I over thinking this and size is not too important?

Thanks,
Mike

I build a lot of smoker over the years ,lot of trial /era. If something dont work cut it off and weld back. First thing draw a sketch of what you think you want and go from there

The general rule of thumb that I was taught and I have seen explained everywhere is the 1/3 rule where the fire box should be 1/3 the size of the cooking chamber, so in your case 6 cubic feet of fire box.

6 cubic feet seems quite large compared to some of the stumps/superior clone builds I have seen on this and other forums. They are supposed to be much more efficient. ???

Also if your gonna build a clone, it helps to study the real thing. Unfortunately I don't know anyone with a stumps/superior.

sorry 6 cubic feet was a miss type, it should be just under 4, I didn't even catch that error before I left last night so you are right 6 cf is way to big...

Well after MUCH reading I have come up with the basic size & hacked a sketch. I am still playing with the dimensions of the cooking area but they have reduced to about 8-9 cubic feet, 38x18X22 or 38x18X24. The frame will be constructed of 2" square tubing. I am not sure of the gauge of tubing as I would like to keep the weight down if I can.

- Ash box will be 12x10.5X10, .25" thick sides & .5" thick top
- Firebox will be 7x7x12, .5" thick
- Charcoal chute will be 7x7 at the base & taper to 6x6 at the top, .25" thick

Mike

Double up that thickness the bottom 12" of the charcoal chute. That is where your heat will give you trouble.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

.5" should be plenty I would think for the fire box, bottom of firebox & ash box are the same, also have a /5" or so grate. There will also be a tray at the bottom of the ash box to it will functionally be .5, really 2 ply of .25".

Mike

Back